[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: SWP: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#796 Post by rev » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:18 am

Ben wrote:
rev wrote:You do realize he sat on the site and kept it vacant as a way of giving the Adelaide City Council the middle finger, and rubbing it in their faces that there is this blight on the landscape....right?
Not that I agree with it..
But look at it from his point of view, that of a developer. Imagine how frustrating it must have been dealing with the nimrods at the City Council.
I'm sure that if any one of us were a billionaire, we too would decide to stick it to them as well by keep a large block of land empty with an ugly mismatched fence in a prime location like that.

The current proposal has been approved since 2007 and the ACC have actually never refused a development on that site contrary to what he would like you to think.
Wasn't one of the proposals too tall for the ACC?

And something I just thought of, let's say he did open up that space as a "green space" and slapped a playground on it and some benches, maybe a park bbq too.
Since it would technically be private property, who would be liable, insurance wise, if say some kid fell off playground equipment that was broken?
Or what if someone stepped on a used syringe and contracted HIV or hepatitis?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#797 Post by how good is he » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:01 pm

That's one reason why it won't happen....it would be more likely a Carpark or markets or something to earn an income.

I would say the property market, gfc and bank lending for apartments/hotels have been the real reason in the past 4 years for nothing happening. If new/existing stock is not selling, finance is harder for buyers and existing apartments priced at a lot less than the cost to build new....how can you compete?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#798 Post by crawf » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:08 am

Well finally, we might see some action!. Found a news report from a couple of days ago, showing Makris is hoping to get Government approval by September and then start construction in January.... Though he didn't say what year :P

The plan is still yet to be released to the public, but it will include a hotel, apartments, high end retail and plazas. In other developments, Makris is planning a ferry service to Kangaroo Island from Glenelg and a possible expansion of Marina Pier.

With the Adelaide Oval/Riverbank development just down the road, plus the relaxation of height restrictions and axing of stamp duty.. Maybe this eyesore will finally be developed. Fingers crossed!

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#799 Post by bm7500 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:28 am

I will believe it when i see it :roll:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#800 Post by Ben » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:24 am

Makris is a disappointment to Adelaide. Thats all I have to say. I'll believe it once I see it completed and I can physically walk inside the development. Until then its all hot air.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#801 Post by Nathan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:31 am

I do wonder how he rose to top of the table in Adelaide. The Makris Group's list of properties is pretty uninspiring - mostly small suburban shopping centres, with their highest profile projects being City Cross and North Adelaide Village.
http://makris.com.au/prperty_portfolio.html

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#802 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am

Peter and the Wolf.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Shahkar
High Rise Poster!

#803 Post by Shahkar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:52 pm

BILLIONAIRE property developer Lang Walker has walked away from a plan to jointly develop the long-abandoned former Le Cornu site at North Adelaide.

The state's richest man, Con Makris, has promised to deliver the $200 million project alone, with construction expected to start as early as next January.

Tensions between two of the country's richest men emerged in January, when Mr Makris publicly aired his frustration with Mr Walker's delays, and threatened to go it alone at the site, which has been vacant since 1989.

Makris Group chief executive John Blunt confirmed the short-lived partnership had ended less than a year after it was struck.

"I think he may have just lost interest," Mr Blunt said.

"Whether they were held up with Riverbank (the city Riverbank precinct project) - I'm not sure."

Premier Jay Weatherill confirmed yesterday the Government would soon determine whether it would proceed with Mr Walker's plans for the redevelopment of Festival Plaza. Mr Walker was expected to manage the residential component of the mixed-use North Adelaide development but Mr Makris will now take over control of the entire project.

Mr Blunt said plans were progressing, with approval expected in October. The revised plans included serviced apartments and retail space anchored by a supermarket or a whole-foods market focused on natural produce.

"We want to make it Adelaide's gourmet centre because there's nothing quite like that in Adelaide," he said.

"We're working with the Government Architect and referral authorities and looking to lodge a development application formally in August. Since he (Walker) walked away from the project, I must say Con is probably more committed now than ever before."

Mr Blunt did not rule out the arrival of a major European department store.

Earlier this month, Mr Makris said he was "ready to roll" once given the green light by the State Government's Development Assessment Commission.

"That's the promise - Con Makris to the people of Adelaide," he said at the time. "I want to have the bulldozers here by January."

Walker Corporation declined to comment.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#804 Post by Dog » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:42 pm

I read recently that with the success of the Adelaide Oval the Crows are now possibly willing to move from West Lakes to the city, wouldn't the old Le Cornu site, obviously with other development (apartments or hotel above) lend its self for a new Crows or Power HQ.
Perhaps combined with a relocated NextGen fitness centre this would give North Adelaide a much needed revitalisation.
Moving NextGen would also make room for a redeveloped Tennis centre or event stadium next to Adelaide oval to further give a river precinct a lift.

Patrick_27

#805 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:57 am

Dog wrote:I read recently that with the success of the Adelaide Oval the Crows are now possibly willing to move from West Lakes to the city, wouldn't the old Le Cornu site, obviously with other development (apartments or hotel above) lend its self for a new Crows or Power HQ.
Perhaps combined with a relocated NextGen fitness centre this would give North Adelaide a much needed revitalisation.
Moving NextGen would also make room for a redeveloped Tennis centre or event stadium next to Adelaide oval to further give a river precinct a lift.
When I finished reading the first paragraph of Dog's post my initial thought was: "Dog, what are you on?!"

But, thinking about this for a bit; I actually kinda like the idea. There is more benefit from this than there is to be of a disadvantage.

Whilst I've always enjoyed Makris' proposals for the land it seems he's never going to have much luck in trying to deliver what best suits his idea. I'm sure if the Crows/government jointly paid off Makris for the land that he'd be happy to let it go: knowing the potential of the property under the ownership of both parties mentioned - I feel current reservation about the prospect of selling on the land is that the ACC will put forward a buyer who will build further car-parking and that will ruin the vibe he's trying to create with North Adelaide Village.

Such a facility would bring the Adelaide team into the heart of the city, as a training facility for the club - in the nearby park-lands an oval could be allocated for their use - which the fans then could attend training sessions IN THE CITY and would sure enough consume in nearby local businesses (and any ground allocated for them in the park-lands could eventually be used for SANFL home games if and when that is eventually permitted by the SANFL). Combining the facility with Next Gen is a good idea - allows the space next to AO to be used as mentioned by Dog for a complex for Tennis, Netball, Basketball, Music/Entertainment - Next Gen could build roof-top tennis courts to replace those they had at Memorial Drive, and combining such a facility apartments in the area would bring more residents to North Adelaide as desired.

I like the idea! Perhaps a just a vision, but it's a productive one, and wouldn't be completely illogical. :D

rev

[U/C] Re: ONH: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | 20m | 6lvls | Mixed

#806 Post by rev » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:55 am

The LeCornu site being used as a training facility or HQ for either Port or the Crows is a bad idea.

Here's why.
Port is based at Alberton. It has it's administrative offices there, it has it's training facility their(indoors), and it also has a full sized oval to train on. That is the important part.

The Crows are based at West Lakes, and have a similar setup to Port.
Where the Crows are likely to move is Thebarton Oval.
I don't see it happening any time soon though, because it wasn't that long ago over $20 million was spent building the Westpac Center on the side of AAMI for the Crows. They would need to build a similar facility at Thebarton Oval.

It would be an ideal location for the Crows, as apparently they have been complaining about having to commute up Port Road from West Lakes to the City. Thebarton Oval is straight up the road a short distance away.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#807 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:45 am

rev wrote:It would be an ideal location for the Crows, as apparently they have been complaining about having to commute up Port Road from West Lakes to the City.
It's 20 minutes max! What's to complain about?

Waewick

#808 Post by Waewick » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:23 pm

pushbutton wrote:
rev wrote:It would be an ideal location for the Crows, as apparently they have been complaining about having to commute up Port Road from West Lakes to the City.
Rev is, once again talking shit.

rev

#809 Post by rev » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:52 pm

Waewick wrote:
pushbutton wrote:
Rev is, once again talking shit.
So this track doesn't go further off topic with the crows campaigners, I'll just say that it was on 5AA by the crows biggest media campaigners. Go take it up with them.

Dog
High Rise Poster!

#810 Post by Dog » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Nothing like combining both footbrawl and the LeCornu site to stir up some controversy :-)