[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#886 Post by Waewick » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:08 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:Some interesting points I heard on this development today.

- Sheldon? Hotel chain have signed a contract to operate a hotel within this site. Could have heard wrong, but apparently they're very high end.

- Wallis Cinemas will be making an announcement soon on their plans to open a 6-8 screen cinema within the sites development, with plans to close Piccadilly cinema and reuse the other purposes. There were plans for a $7m upgrade of Piccadilly with a further three screens to be built, however Wallis recognise that the site doesn't have any off-street parking and that $7m isn't a realistic figure to spend on such a development.
The new cinema will cost far less and be positioned better within the O'Connell Street precinct.
This deal stemmed from the sale of the site from Wallis to Makris.
what a shame all that Art Deco is going to be lost.

but if it means something happens on this site the hoooobloodyrah!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#887 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Waewick wrote:

- Sheldon? Hotel chain have signed a contract to operate a hotel within this site. Could have heard wrong, but apparently they're very high end.

- Wallis Cinemas will be making an announcement soon on their plans to open a 6-8 screen cinema within the sites development, with plans to close Piccadilly cinema and reuse the other purposes. There were plans for a $7m upgrade of Piccadilly with a further three screens to be built, however Wallis recognise that the site doesn't have any off-street parking and that $7m isn't a realistic figure to spend on such a development.
The new cinema will cost far less and be positioned better within the O'Connell Street precinct.
Surely it would be heritage listed, so I'd say it's safe if Wallis do relocate.

It's a beautiful old building and it will be a massive shame to lose it.

Patrick_27

#888 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:09 am

ghs wrote:Can you name the source of your info patrick ?

That brings the new hotel count to 7 including the airport
hotel which is a few years away.
Can't name the source, but senior level at Wallis head-office. :)

Patrick_27

#889 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:12 am

crawf wrote:
Waewick wrote:

Building is heritage listed. Wallis have no intention to sell the building/site, no plans yet on what will eventuate with the Piccadilly but it sounded like there may be plans to turn into some kind of a function venue. Perhaps like Mt. Barker. :)

Patrick_27

#890 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:16 am

Also forgot to mention, this came from a high-up source at Makris Group. They're talking to a couple of international department store/clothing chains to become an anchor tenant for the shopping component of the development, one of which I believe is Greek. A bit of irony there...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#891 Post by rev » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:39 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Also forgot to mention, this came from a high-up source at Makris Group. They're talking to a couple of international department store/clothing chains to become an anchor tenant for the shopping component of the development, one of which I believe is Greek. A bit of irony there...
Could be Attica which has within it most high end luxury brands, apparently one of the best department stores in Europe.
But I doubt it. Folli Follie might be a better chance as they already have over 500 stores world wide(42 in Greece), but they only make jewellry, watches and accessories.

Smithy85
High Rise Poster!

#892 Post by Smithy85 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Approved by DAC today. Due for completion in 2019.

Will be great for the 7 people that still have jobs in Adelaide then.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#893 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:57 pm

crawf wrote:
Waewick wrote:

I foresee a very vocal 'anti' campaign if anyone proposes destroying that beautiful Art Deco facade.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

The Scooter Guy

#894 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:48 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7393592711

And I've been trolled! Why should we pay to view this article? :evil:
Remember when there was a bygone era when the internet was very different compared with today?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#895 Post by Briggzy_03 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:04 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote: And I've been trolled! Why should we pay to view this article? :evil:
Remember when there was a bygone era when the internet was very different compared with today?
http://www.news.com.au/national/makris- ... 7393592711

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#896 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:44 pm

And his lies and dragging out of this saga continue. "Construction should begin late next year". Seriously this guy is a joke.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#897 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:43 am

Kasey771 wrote:
I foresee a very vocal 'anti' campaign if anyone proposes destroying that beautiful Art Deco facade.
Wallis demolishing an Art Deco facade? That would NEVER happen in a million years.... /s
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

ghs

#898 Post by ghs » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:17 pm

It's a fair size development - retail outlets, cinemas, 5 star hotel and a 16 level apartment tower.
Surely they will build it in 2 - 3 stages, I just wish they would be able to start on it sooner then
the end of next year.

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#899 Post by Brando » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:49 pm

I'm glad it's been approved, now the onus is on Makris. Let's see how serious he is, or what excuse he'll come up with....

Patrick_27

#900 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:01 am

ghs wrote:It's a fair size development - retail outlets, cinemas, 5 star hotel and a 16 level apartment tower.
Surely they will build it in 2 - 3 stages, I just wish they would be able to start on it sooner then
the end of next year.
You're right, it appears it'll be a staged development. My source said that Wallis would be open there within two years, so I imagine that the shopping and hotel component will open first and the apartments will open in 2019.