[U/C] 88 O'Connell Street | 63m | 13, 13 and 15 Levels | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Plasmatron
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: Former LeCornu Redevelopment | Mixed Use

#976 Post by Plasmatron » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:25 pm

The boy who cried LeCornu Redevelopment.

How about just making it a proper public park, then building around?
https://www.youtube.com/UltraVibeProductions

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#977 Post by rev » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:19 pm

The more this drags on, the more I think they are simply holding on to the land, to sell it at some stage for profit.

They can't use the GFC as an excuse anymore.
The financial crisis has come and mostly gone. There's lots of developments, residential, office and hotels that have, are, or will be going up in Adelaide.

If they really wanted to develop this site, they would have done so by now.
There's no intention of developing this land by the current owners.

At the end of the day however, it is private property, so whether they chose to build something, or leave it fenced off as it currently is, is their decision and their problem.

You can't force them to do something with this land anymore then you can force the owner of the empty block of land next door to your home to build something on it.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#978 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:24 pm

I think you're right Rev. They can't blame lack of demand, since we've seen a number of apartment developments sell very well, and it's not like in two years they even opened up residential sales. Were they waiting for some magical bank fairy to finance it without a single sale?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#979 Post by SRW » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 pm

I don't think this project ever even made it to market, which probably shows Makris was never that serious. But even still you'd imagine they'd have a credibility problem with buyers unwilling to put their money into a development that's been stalled for 25 years.

We need a group like Starfish to take it on.
Keep Adelaide Weird

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#980 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:53 pm

What a joke that site has become :lol: :lol:

Just build something there, how hard can it be :2cents: :2cents:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

citywatcher
Legendary Member!

#981 Post by citywatcher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:55 pm

Makris' record speaks for itself

Sent from my GT-S7275T using Tapatalk

mshagg
Legendary Member!

#982 Post by mshagg » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Never fear, Moran's got a plan.

http://indaily.com.au/news/2017/07/04/t ... ornu-site/

Car parking. A fucking open air car park.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#983 Post by Will » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 pm

despite the resurgence in inner city living as well as having secured the Sheraton as the flagship tenant, Makris could not make it work. Makes you wonder whether he was ever serious about this. The only thing that is certain, is that he as a developer has been completely discredited and no self respecting person would ever consider investing into any future Makris proposal for the site.

It seems all our dodgy developers end up fleeing to Queensland.....

Jaymz
Legendary Member!

#984 Post by Jaymz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:20 pm

The Sheraton brand was also thrown around for the New Mayfield site a few years ago. What a joke.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#985 Post by arki » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:52 pm

Con, please consider selling your beloved site to Theo and Steve. North Adelaide could use the vision and wizardry they applied to the East End.

Patrick_27

#986 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:02 am

arki wrote:Con, please consider selling your beloved site to Theo and Steve. North Adelaide could use the vision and wizardry they applied to the East End.
Hoooooold on a second, before you start making such stupid comments let's put some little-known facts out there... Theo was the reason this site was never developed in the first instance. When Bob Wallis owned the site and had intended to build a shopping centre (with cinemas) and sell off the remainder for a residential use, Theo cried to the ACC telling them that they should encourage Wallis to build a carpark on the entire block instead as to avoid spoiling the popularity of his own project on the East End whilst also potentially driving down Wallis' desire to do anything with the site so Theo himself could make an offer. This is how Makris ended up with the site; Wallis sold it to him for pittance so long as Makris allowed space for a cinema complex within whatever he ended up building. I'd rather a carpark or it staying empty than to see Theo take the site over now.

[Shuz]

#987 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:26 am

I'm all for compulsory acquisition. This debacle has gone on long enough. Let's face it, its small little things like this fhat has subconsciously contributed to the "nothing gets done in Adelaide" perception; which, whilst I believe this isn't the case any more for the majority of people who live here, but to appease the stubborn minority.

I'd be happy with an open air market or community garden or basic park for the interim. Just until something real getz done, but apply a quick, cheap and easy solution that just makes it look like something is being done, no matter how small.

But, no more car parks for the love of God.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

PeFe

#988 Post by PeFe » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 am

+1

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#989 Post by omada » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:11 am

Shuz is on the money here, i'm sure renew adelaide could get involved, an interim measure of an open air park and market would be a great addition for the area.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#990 Post by rev » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Compulsorily acquiring private property because you disagree with their lack of action in developing it, is moronic, would be challenged in court, and the ACC/State gov. would lose, and someone like Makris would probably have them paying his court costs on top.

A better idea would be for Renew Adelaide to contact Makris Group and come to an agreement to turn it into something temporarily.