News & Developments: Mawson Lakes

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Mawson Lakes - Not just another suburb

#526 Post by Waewick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 pm

:x I've heard the rumour about energy use.

from what I understand it is all to do with the design of the homes and thier compelete failure to be built with any form of energy conservation ideals.

one google search

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/cut- ... 1114604158
Home air-conditioners - many of them large enough to cool commercial buildings - were putting "significant stress" on ETSA's network.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#527 Post by mutt » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:34 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Mawson Lakes really needs to lift its game in the environmental and amenity departments. Currently, there is very little entertainment for locals, particularly young locals - if they want such entertainment, they have to leave the site. Take a cinema for example, the closest one is located at Tea Tree Plaza, or failing that, Reading in Elizabeth.

It's also a well-kept secret that Mawson Lakes is by far the most energy-hungry suburb in Adelaide, and probably ranks quite high in all of Australia (if not at the top) for energy consumption levels. A combination of factors lead to this, but the sole culprits are housing density and design, along with land use.
amazing isnt
it was supposed to be Adelaide's first energy smart suburb

oh the marketing

public entertainment amenities usually take lowest priority in investment based housing developments, this should come as no surprise

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#528 Post by bm7500 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:51 pm

Mawson Lakes bashing again? Really?

Yes it was well documented a few years ago that some people installed large commercial A/Cs in their homes but it hardly justifies this sort of throw away line "...compelete failure to be built with any form of energy conservation ideals."

Did you take into consideration that every home needed to be fully insulated from day 1? And that it one was one of the first communities in Australia to use plumbed recycled water on such a scale. Also, take a look at Mawson Lakes on Nearmap. Even though the current images are from back in April, you will notice one thing. Solar Panels, and lots of them. And i'm sure that in the last 3 months there have been many more installed in Mawson Lakes, including on top of my roof.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Waewick

#529 Post by Waewick » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:08 pm

the rest of hte country subsiding the installation of solar panels, doesn't make Mawson lakes and more energy efficient.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#530 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:07 pm

bm7500 wrote:Yes it was well documented a few years ago that some people installed large commercial A/Cs in their homes but it hardly justifies this sort of throw away line "complete failure to be built with any form of energy conservation ideals."
Yep agree 100%. A mate of mine has built many townhouses at Mawson Lakes - most with an energy rating of 6 stars. All these properties require only modest sized a/c units. He also recently achieved a 7 star energy rating - for less construction cost! How? well he asked his architect to design in alignment with raw product dimensions. No rocket science. Each townhouse construction produces less than 1 skip bin of waste.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mutt
High Rise Poster!

#531 Post by mutt » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:53 pm

Waewick wrote:the rest of hte country subsiding the installation of solar panels, doesn't make Mawson lakes and more energy efficient.
bingo

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#532 Post by contractor » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:29 pm

Wayno wrote:
bm7500 wrote:Yes it was well documented a few years ago that some people installed large commercial A/Cs in their homes but it hardly justifies this sort of throw away line "complete failure to be built with any form of energy conservation ideals."
Yep agree 100%. A mate of mine has built many townhouses at Mawson Lakes - most with an energy rating of 6 stars. All these properties require only modest sized a/c units. He also recently achieved a 7 star energy rating - for less construction cost! How? well he asked his architect to design in alignment with raw product dimensions. No rocket science. Each townhouse construction produces less than 1 skip bin of waste.
I disagree. Have a drive around Mawson Lakes and note the western facing residences with no eaves/sunshade protection, just glass and rendered blueboard (and the associated commercial air-conditioners). Before the introduction of five/six star the builder/owner had to fill out a score sheet and achieve a minimum score. Whilst it was checked by Delfin it was never enforced, even by the council. Many proposals had their eaves/balconies removed during construction to cut costs. Given 80% of construction in Mawson Lakes was completed before the introduction of five/six star, it has been a complete failure in achieving an energy efficient suburb. I have a report conducted by Unisa into energy efficient housing developments in Adelaide. Mawson Lakes was top of the list as the worst performing suburb. Mawson Lakes is a big FAIL for energy efficiency.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#533 Post by bm7500 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:14 am

contractor wrote:
Wayno wrote:
I disagree. Have a drive around Mawson Lakes and note the western facing residences with no eaves/sunshade protection, just glass and rendered blueboard (and the associated commercial air-conditioners). Before the introduction of five/six star the builder/owner had to fill out a score sheet and achieve a minimum score. Whilst it was checked by Delfin it was never enforced, even by the council. Many proposals had their eaves/balconies removed during construction to cut costs. Given 80% of construction in Mawson Lakes was completed before the introduction of five/six star, it has been a complete failure in achieving an energy efficient suburb. I have a report conducted by Unisa into energy efficient housing developments in Adelaide. Mawson Lakes was top of the list as the worst performing suburb. Mawson Lakes is a big FAIL for energy efficiency.
What you are talking about is not unique to Mawson Lakes. What you do have in ML is the extremems of efficiency. You have some homes that have energy hungry appliances, 4 plasmas, 50 downlights and a commercial a/c. On the other hand there are many examples of many 'greener' homes as outlined by Wayno above. So even if there is a report done by UNISA, they may want to revisit it as builders and buyers have become a lot more energy consious in recent years. Not all homes are blueboard and glass either just so you know, so please don't generalise!
the rest of hte country subsiding the installation of solar panels, doesn't make Mawson lakes and more energy efficient.
Actually, yes it does. If the large number of solar panel installaions in ML is lowering electricity consumption, then it is more efficient regardless of who is subsidising it! Bingo!
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Waewick

#534 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:11 am

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=energy+efficiency

no energy efficiency is not just about getting Solar panels and making you feel warm and fuzzy

it is about reducing your overall reliance on electricuty full stop - having Solar panels is a way to reduce your CArbon footprint, designing a house that doesn't need to suck huge amounts of power is about efficency.

i.e getting the same output from the same input, rather than just changing the source of the input.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#535 Post by bm7500 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Waewick wrote:http://lmgtfy.com/?q=energy+efficiency

no energy efficiency is not just about getting Solar panels and making you feel warm and fuzzy

it is about reducing your overall reliance on electricuty full stop - having Solar panels is a way to reduce your CArbon footprint, designing a house that doesn't need to suck huge amounts of power is about efficency.

i.e getting the same output from the same input, rather than just changing the source of the input.
I don't disagree agree with the above, but it comes back to the point that you can't make generalisations about the whole of ML being energy inefficient when that is not the case.

Cheers.

Waewick

#536 Post by Waewick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:01 pm

we aren't making sweeping generalisations - we are making a general observation about a particular suburb!

we are talking about a single suburb which is known to be Power hungry, but i'm sure there are some houses which aren't just as there would be some houese that are really really bad.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#537 Post by fishinajar » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:33 am

Wayno wrote: for less construction cost! How? well he asked his architect to design in alignment with raw product dimensions. No rocket science. Each townhouse construction produces less than 1 skip bin of waste.
Modular design revisited? Fantastic!

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#538 Post by mattblack » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:13 pm

Why are there no cycle lanes within Mawson Lakes, isnt this standard practice now? No wonder most of the people drive to the station. Even the basics of sustainability are being overlooked.

eKwatee
High Rise Poster!

#539 Post by eKwatee » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:40 pm

mattblack wrote:Why are there no cycle lanes within Mawson Lakes, isnt this standard practice now? No wonder most of the people drive to the station. Even the basics of sustainability are being overlooked.
There's a bicycle track that leads directly to the train station, I'd guess no need for the lanes on the road as most cyclists just use the track.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#540 Post by mattblack » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:47 am

eKwatee wrote:
mattblack wrote:Why are there no cycle lanes within Mawson Lakes, isnt this standard practice now? No wonder most of the people drive to the station. Even the basics of sustainability are being overlooked.
There's a bicycle track that leads directly to the train station, I'd guess no need for the lanes on the road as most cyclists just use the track.
To access the bike path you need to ride on the road. What if you want to get to the town centre, high school, Uni - good luck! Piss poor in my opinion for a suburb that bills itself as sustainable this and that. Whats the transport dept at the Council doing?