News & Developments: Mawson Lakes

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

Re: Mawson Lakes | Developments & News

#556 Post by mattblack » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:19 am

Aidan wrote:
bm7500 wrote:
IAintTouchin wrote:they need to design buildings to respect and honor the land that was there before.

Therefore they should build building's in the shape of clumps of swampcrap.
Clearly you are confused with West Lakes. Mawson Lakes was never swamp land, it was originally used for sheep grazing/breeding.
Originally? A couple of centuries ago there were no sheep at all in South Australia.

If there wasn't a swamp there, why was the Bennett Drain constructed?

Swampland is compatible with sheep grazing, and some breeds are well suited to it. Romney Marsh is the one that immediately springs to mind, but there are others.
A few million years ago it was probably covered in ice so they should build a big ice arena and indoor snow park there :banana:

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#557 Post by bm7500 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Aidan wrote:
bm7500 wrote:
IAintTouchin wrote:they need to design buildings to respect and honor the land that was there before.

Therefore they should build building's in the shape of clumps of swampcrap.
Clearly you are confused with West Lakes. Mawson Lakes was never swamp land, it was originally used for sheep grazing/breeding.
Originally? A couple of centuries ago there were no sheep at all in South Australia.

If there wasn't a swamp there, why was the Bennett Drain constructed?

Swampland is compatible with sheep grazing, and some breeds are well suited to it. Romney Marsh is the one that immediately springs to mind, but there are others.
Aidan, Show me some real evidence of it being former swampland and i will happily concede this one.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#558 Post by claybro » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Some old timers I know in the Salibury area say this area used to regularly flood. Like most of coastal Adelaide Plains was a wet/dry system. Flooded boggy in winter and dry in summer. In fact one old chap I know is convinced there will be a major flood through here and it's only a matter of time. Working in the area, I have seen the wetlands full to the brim after only 30mm of rain, any more and I reckon there would have been problems.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#559 Post by monotonehell » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:15 am

Not realy swampland, but the entire northern plains areas are prone to seasonal flooding which resulted in vernal pooling. If you approach Parafield Airport from the "rear" (Behind CrossKeys Hotel) you can see some of what's left.

Settlement has seen a lot of works to mitigate or channel the flooding.

https://sites.google.com/site/parafieldvernalpools/home
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#560 Post by Will » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 pm

From the Advertiser:
New $59m Co-operative Research Centre for Cell Therapy Manufacturing at UniSA to cure disease

by: Science Reporter Clare Peddie

A new research centre at Mawson Lakes will be dedicated to to finding treatment for previously incurable diseases.

A NEW state-of-the-art research centre at Mawson Lakes will be dedicated to find treatments for previously incurable and difficult-to-treat conditions - including Type 1 diabetes.

The $59 million Co-operative Research Centre for Cell Therapy Manufacturing at UniSA will use cell-based therapy and smart materials to repair damaged organs and tissues. The facility is tipped to create more than 2000 jobs across Australia by 2021 - mostly in Adelaide.
It will run a world-first human trial of transplanted cells from human donors which might eliminate the need for daily injections of insulin for the more than 100,000 Type 1 diabetes sufferers in Australia.
Other examples of new technology to be developed include a way to prevent rejection of organ transplants by manipulating cells that "police" the immune system - removing the need for drugs to suppress natural response.
The centre will also develop stem cells with the potential to heal severe foot wounds - formed when a lack of blood flow deprives tissues of oxygen - offering hope to diabetics who face having their legs or feet amputated.
Centre acting managing director Dr Sherry Kothari said the science of cell therapy had developed to the point where a new industry was "suddenly starting to rapidly grow".
"As an industry we're hitting it at the right time, because it is set to grow around the world," she said.
"Given that we are based in South Australia and the centre is headquartered here - and we've had very generous support from the State Government and a lot of our key researchers are based here - I think we would see a lot of these benefits within South Australia."
The centre will bring together materials scientists, cell biologists, bioprocess engineers, clinicians and industry professionals with expertise in advanced manufacturing.
UniSA Professor Rob Short said the work of the new centre would increase the affordability and accessibility of cell therapies.
"Cell therapies offer exciting new possibilities for a range of previously incurable and difficult-to-treat medical conditions including Type 1 diabetes, which affects more than 100,000 Australians," he said.
"They will also provide a platform for healing life-threatening ischemic (lack of blood) foot wounds and progress a new technology for organ transplants that could negate the need for immuno-suppressive drugs."
Prof Short said novel interventions based on smart materials and surfaces would facilitate the cost-effective manufacture and rapid translation of cell therapies into clinical practice.
The Federal Government has provided $20 million over six years to the centre with further funding and support coming from the State Government, research and industry partners.
The centre will also comprise local, national and global manufacturers, researchers from the Queensland University of Technology and Sydney University and from the Royal Adelaide Hospital and St Vincent's and Westmead Hospitals and some key charities.
Its headquarters will be at UniSA's $50 million Materials and Minerals Science building.
UniSA Vice Chancellor Professor David Lloyd said the successful bid to establish the CRC was great news for the university and the state.
"This is a significant area of research that will feed the development of a world-class manufacturing base in South Australia in an area of great benefit locally and globally ... It represents exactly the kind of university, government and industry partnership that stimulates relevant innovation."

ml69
Legendary Member!

#561 Post by ml69 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:12 pm

Great news. It's this type of research centre along with SAHMRI which could spawn a new industry in SA of advanced manufacturing for high-value medical technologies and products, something that cannot be easily shifted to China due to the advanced manufacturing techniques and skills required.

It also leverages our manufacturing heritage into a potentially lucrative industry of the future.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#562 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:09 am

New construction along Dry Creek, plus shopping centre - a week ago...

http://xaragmata.dyndns-web.com/album/a ... _3898.html

contractor
High Rise Poster!

#563 Post by contractor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Thanks for the update!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#564 Post by neoballmon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks. Can't see any signage for the shopping center in the pics. Who is/are the anchor/s? I'd personally like to see Foodland give Woolies a run for its money. I can imagine based on the location it would be owned by the same family as Munno Para, Pasadena, Frewville etc with 'Adelaides finest supermarkets' stores
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#565 Post by Brucetiki » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:45 pm

neoballmon wrote:Thanks. Can't see any signage for the shopping center in the pics. Who is/are the anchor/s? I'd personally like to see Foodland give Woolies a run for its money. I can imagine based on the location it would be owned by the same family as Munno Para, Pasadena, Frewville etc with 'Adelaides finest supermarkets' stores
I think the 'Adelaide Finest Supermarket's' mob have sold up. The Fairview Foodland has been taken over by Romeo's (who put in conventional checkouts, rather than the weird semi-self serve ones that used to be there.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#566 Post by Allkai » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:11 am

neoballmon wrote:Thanks. Can't see any signage for the shopping center in the pics. Who is/are the anchor/s? I'd personally like to see Foodland give Woolies a run for its money. I can imagine based on the location it would be owned by the same family as Munno Para, Pasadena, Frewville etc with 'Adelaides finest supermarkets' stores
The green highlighting to the exterior suggests Woolworths is re-locating into the new mall.....

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#567 Post by Kasey771 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 am

Allkai wrote:
The green highlighting to the exterior suggests Woolworths is re-locating into the new mall.....
This is correct...I asked one of the checkout chicks and they are re-locating on 23 May2013. She understood that the old Woolies would become a Target or something similar(Kmart?) The benefit of the new store is that it is a 'full size' Woolies for whatever that means. It looks like there are a bunch of smaller stores around the new car parking and internal to the new mall, perhaps a butcher and a bakery if Bakers delight moves? I'm imagining a centre more like the Prospect shops adjacent the Prospect Town Hall on Prospect Road.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

mnovakovic
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#568 Post by mnovakovic » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:34 am

I can confirm that Woolies is definately moving into the new site, Target will replace woolies at the old store, but will also be taking in all the surrounding shops.
I.E Newsagent,Florest, Bakers Delight, Gucci and Michels.

These are all relocating into the new Shopping Plaza along with 9 additional smaller shops. No news yet on the new tenancies of the remaining shops in the Plaza

The frontage of Main street will contain bottom floor office space and apartments on top

2 new shops will be built along the front of the new target and this will have an atrium (currently where the ramp to the carpark from the existing woolies is)

They will both be interconnected via a covered walkway between Mawson Central Shopping Centre and The Promenade Shopping Centre.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#569 Post by RayRichards » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:44 pm

Xaragmata wrote:New construction along Dry Creek, plus shopping centre - a week ago...

http://xaragmata.dyndns-web.com/album/a ... _3898.html
Cheers for the photos mate. It really seems like a town within a town.

Ray.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #SWP: The Promenade - S2 l Shopping Ctr/Apartments/Offic

#570 Post by bm7500 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:51 am

bm7500 wrote:This development has been separated from the Mawson Lakes - Not just another suburb thread as site works commenced earlier this week.

The development is adjacent to stage one of The Promenade in Mawson Central, Mawson Lakes.

This project is Stage 2 of 3 and will comprise the following:

A Woolworths Supermarket with a ground floor area of 3,800m2 and a mezzanine office area of 150m2

Retail specialty tenancies with a total floor area of 1163m2

Office floor areas totalling 593m2

A café with 24 seats

A total of 40 residential units comprising 34 single bedroom units & 6 two bedroom units

An integrated 2 storey car park of 387 spaces

The Stage 2 development will result in relocation of the existing Woolworths supermarket into the new development. The existing
supermarket building within Stage 1 will continue to be used as a retail tenancy (possibly a DDS or similar type of tenant).
The new Woolworths is set to open at 8am Wednesday 29th May.

There is still a reasonable amount of work to do to the other new shops and apartments, facade etc.

I will try and get some pics next week.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA