News & Developments: Mawson Lakes

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Mawson Lakes - Not just another suburb

#31 Post by AtD » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 pm

jk1237 wrote:I dont mind the Mawson Lakes development. Especially around the UNI SA campus and the rail/bus interchange. Its interesting how well medium density housing has taken off. There is a large empty paddock right in the middle, with a big advertising fence around it. I guess this is going to be a shopping complex. I wonder if there will be Target/Big W/K Mart thing?
There was a sign saying "future high density retail." What exactly, time will tell...

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#32 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:41 am

jimmy_2486 wrote:
Cruise Control wrote:
rhino wrote: How many of you guys who insist that high density living is the way to go, actually have the responsibility of raising healthy children?

I dont have kids (yet) but i still want a backyard for entertaining and etc but at the same time im willing to live on the fringe of the city without all services you have in the middle of town.
Yeah a backyard is an optional luxury and a personal choice really. But its not a necessity, even for a family.

When I grew up we had a big house with a big backyard and our family never really used it. We had a reserve nearby and i played with my friends. And we usually went out to entertain, or just sat in our living room.

So I guess as long as you have a roof over your head then that is all you really need. you don't NEED 2-3 garages and you don't NEED 4-5 bedrooms and you don't NEED a backyard. However they are handy I guess, even though they are a pain to clean. But plenty of people all around the world live life with families without these luxuries.
Correct, i dont NEED much at all but if can afford it so why not have all those luxuries?

Same could be said to why people buy BMW's and Mercedes, Why not just buy a Hyundai it will get you around all the same.
If you can afford the luxury items, why not?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by AtD » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:04 am

Because the environment can not sustain such decadence. (And neither can many of those who try to live it, recent market events suggest)

duke
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by duke » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:30 am

AtD wrote:Because the environment can not sustain such decadence. (And neither can many of those who try to live it, recent market events suggest)
Exactly.

I can afford a V8 car to drive to work every day. But it would be irresponsible of me to do so. That is why I catch a bus to work. Its not as fast, its definitely not luxurious, but I think about the impact I am having on the environment. V8 cars should be banned, just like expanding our city boundaries should be.
Its irresponsible to think everyone should be entitled to a 1/4 block of land. Sure your kids may be able to run around in a backyard, and you will be able to entertain friends, but if people continue to think like this the kids wont have much left of a world to enjoy.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by bm7500 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:53 am

bmw boy wrote:looks good (most)

lol... what are those staircases in the lake????? :? :?
The stair cases in the lake are part of the 'street art' in Mawson lakes & is named 'Accention'. they look quite effective when lit up at night.

As a resident of Mawson Lakes, I am somewhat biased but I find there is a good mix of low, medium & high density dwellings therefore offering people a good amount of choice. I think Mawson Lakes sets itself apart with the environmental initiatives that are in place, such as solar hot water systems, fully insulated housing and the recycled water system.

As for building 10 storey plus buildings, i believe the issue there ML's proximity to Parafield Airport.

One of the reasons i chose Mawson Lakes to live is because of the diverse mix of architectural styles used in comparison to most other established suburbs. And believe me, there are some pretty unique houses there. I will try to take some pics and post them here.

Brett 8)
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by bm7500 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:02 am

jk1237 wrote:I dont mind the Mawson Lakes development. Especially around the UNI SA campus and the rail/bus interchange. Its interesting how well medium density housing has taken off. There is a large empty paddock right in the middle, with a big advertising fence around it. I guess this is going to be a shopping complex. I wonder if there will be Target/Big W/K Mart thing?
You are correct in suggesting that this site will be for shopping. This land has been set aside for stage 2 of 'The Promenade' which will feature 1 key tennant (Yet to be confirmed) and a nuber of specialty shops with carparking in the middle. A number of small businesses are already starting to set up in the ground floor tennancy's of the numerous apartment complexes there.

Mawson Lakes now also has a dedicated site for its residents, businesses & students http://www.mawsonlakescommunity.com.au which has all sorts of good information about the suburb, businesses & the wider community.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#37 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:07 pm

well what annoys me is that instead of the government taking care of affordability by increasing the density of housing in areas that are already established, they decide to make more areas. One of the reasons why it annoys me is that they have to spend money on an extra bus/train that has to service that area, when that same bus service could had been incorporated into that newly densified area vastly improving the service into the area. That would benefit far more people than just 1 new suburb worth of people.

So all these infrastructure costs in building a new area could had gone to improving what we have now.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by Norman » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:49 am

They aready have good PT there, the train is right next to it. I wonder when they are going to build at Evaston South and merge Adelaide and Gawler together.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#39 Post by Cruise » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:55 pm

normangerman wrote:They aready have good PT there, the train is right next to it. I wonder when they are going to build at Evaston South and merge Adelaide and Gawler together.
theve been trying hard to prevent that they want to keep a 'green belt' between gawler and munno para

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#40 Post by crawf » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:00 am

lol are you sure cruise?, because the State Government have just released more land at Blakeview, Andrews Farm and Evanston. So the gap between Adelaide and Gawler is getting smaller.

I'm surprised they still haven't put Gawler in the Adelaide Phone Book, because these days its classified as a outer suburb of Adelaide and it would be annoying for residents and businesses in Gawler wanting to call some one in the northern suburbs with it being a STD call.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by SRW » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:00 am

crawf wrote:lol are you sure cruise?, because the State Government have just released more land at Blakeview, Andrews Farm and Evanston. So the gap between Adelaide and Gawler is getting smaller.
I'm sure. One of the urban boundary's objectives is maintain a greenbelt between the outer suburbs and Gawler (admittedly, also an outer suburb) and thus its township character. They're quite insistent up that way keep the greenbelt, and the Government seems fairly sympathetic (full-knowing they'd risk community mobilisation if they weren't).
Keep Adelaide Weird

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by AtD » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:00 am

Unfortunately, over the last couple of months, the state government has chosen to ignore the objectives of the urban growth boundary by pushing it back, like buying bigger pants so you can still eat KFC.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#43 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:48 pm

SRW wrote:
crawf wrote:lol are you sure cruise?, because the State Government have just released more land at Blakeview, Andrews Farm and Evanston. So the gap between Adelaide and Gawler is getting smaller.
I'm sure. One of the urban boundary's objectives is maintain a greenbelt between the outer suburbs and Gawler (admittedly, also an outer suburb) and thus its township character. They're quite insistent up that way keep the greenbelt, and the Government seems fairly sympathetic (full-knowing they'd risk community mobilisation if they weren't).
correct, thank you

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by jimmy_2486 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Just out of curiosity.....why cant they pump new developments in the mid north/south regions like 15-30 ks away??

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#45 Post by Cruise » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:08 pm

jimmy_2486 wrote:Just out of curiosity.....why cant they pump new developments in the mid north/south regions like 15-30 ks away??
Where is the land to build on?