[COM] Westfield West Lakes (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $95m

#196 Post by pushbutton » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:24 pm

I've just wasted about 15 minutes driving incredibly slowly around various now separate sections of carpark, negotiating several tight turns into one way narrow lanes, and getting stuck in a couple of long queues trying to find a way out of the maze that is now the Westfield West Lakes carpark. I should say carparks (plural) as it's been split up horribly.

And this is BEFORE the actual boom gates go in, which can only slow things down even more.

I can't imagine why anyone would pay to park here.

It used to be very easy. You could just drive around the entire centre in either direction, park wherever you liked for as long as you liked, then leave quickly and easily without paying for the privilege!

Whoever designed the new carpark layout needs to look for a job they're better suited to.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#197 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:22 am

pushbutton wrote:I've just wasted about 15 minutes driving incredibly slowly around various now separate sections of carpark, negotiating several tight turns into one way narrow lanes, and getting stuck in a couple of long queues trying to find a way out of the maze that is now the Westfield West Lakes carpark. I should say carparks (plural) as it's been split up horribly.

And this is BEFORE the actual boom gates go in, which can only slow things down even more.

I can't imagine why anyone would pay to park here.

It used to be very easy. You could just drive around the entire centre in either direction, park wherever you liked for as long as you liked, then leave quickly and easily without paying for the privilege!

Whoever designed the new carpark layout needs to look for a job they're better suited to.
This does sound quite ridiculous. IF they must implement paid parking, the most they should do is close of a couple of access points. No need to split the carpark into different sections. Tickets and cameras can link to a central computer, and I should be able to enter in Entrance A, and exit out B, with no issues.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#198 Post by pushbutton » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:38 pm

Oh wow! Has anyone else seen those monstrous new bench type things they've put all over the mall? They remind me very much of the ones they had there until the late 80s.

Now retro can be a good thing, in its place. I just don't think an otherwise modern shopping centre is its place, at all!

Given that Westfield pioneered the move away from wooden benches in malls, to modern comfortable leather sofas, I am very surprised that they've now gone two steps back, not only to wooden benches but to huge multi-sided wooden benches that take up as much space as a kiosk!

They've got a big round hole in the centre of them, which I suppose will accommodate those oversized plant pots they've bought in. I suppose apart from that they at least look somewhat neat for now, but as soon as they start to get any wear and tear (which being wood they're sure to) they will look absolutely awful!

The only thing that might make them a bit more acceptable aesthetically would be if they are going to put some sort of more plush coverings over the bit you sit on. It doesn't look like they are though as there's nothing there to accommodate that.

What were they thinking? Does anyone like them?

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#199 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Look what they're putting in the Woolworths mall now! Eeeeeeek!

These along with the new 3 sided benches will give the mall interior a completely, errr, well, let's just say a completely "new" look!
mall animals.jpg
mall animals.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 5109 times

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#200 Post by monotonehell » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:57 pm

Perhaps it's for a kid's play area?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#201 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:06 pm

Sort of, but they're just going in the Woolworths mall.

Apart from the fact the new benches and these animal shapes are completely out of keeping with the architectural style of the mall interior, they are also cluttering up the mall so much it will end up hard to move around it (a bit like the car park is now)!

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#202 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 pm

Westfield names fashion retailers in is $94 million redevelopment

NATIONAL fashion chains will spearhead the $94 million Westfield West Lakes redevelopment when it opens to the public later this month.

Westfield has today released the names of shops included in its new fashion precinct, to open on Thursday, October 24.

The centre's footprint has grown to about 71,000sq m, housing more than 263 retailers - 40 of them new to the shopping precinct.

New retailers include a Target, Forever New, Veronika Maine, Bardot, Colette by Colette Hayman, Ally Fashion, Factorie and Wittner.

Mens' shops include Peter Jackson and Man to Man, while Cotton On Kids will return to the mall.

Paid customer parking will start on October 28.

Centre manager Cathy Main said the parking fees were needed to cope with extra demand created by the upgrade.

"Our carparks are going to be busier than they've ever been," Mrs Main said.

"Our whole focus is to make sure that customers can get a convenient and easy carpark."

About 160 jobs were created during construction and another 190 ongoing jobs are expected in retail.

Westfield has added 150 carpark spaces and a revamped public transport interchange.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6735538173

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#203 Post by pushbutton » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Port Adelaide Fan wrote:
"Our whole focus is to make sure that customers can get a convenient and easy carpark."

I have to admire the spin!

Parking at Westfield West Lakes WAS convenient and easy, until they started mucking it up about a year ago! All they needed to do was add the staff carpark at AAMI stadium to make up for the loss of a small number of spaces as a result of the redevelopment. They did that, but that would have been enough. There was nothing wrong with the layout of the carpark, and it was always very easy to find a space!

Now parking is a nightmare, and about to get even worse when the boom gates become operational.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#204 Post by monotonehell » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:34 am

Wasn't part of the argument for paid parking due to the proximity of Football Park?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#205 Post by pushbutton » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:06 pm

monotonehell wrote:Wasn't part of the argument for paid parking due to the proximity of Football Park?
I think so, and to be fair football days were the one time parking WAS very difficult and frustrating. As a result I always avoided the centre if football was on and went elsewhere.

However Westfield surely knew at least a year ago that this was no longer going to be an issue, so it completely removes that excuse.

Stefan
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#206 Post by Stefan » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:34 pm

Does anyone have the complete list of new retailers for the centre?

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#207 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Introduction of Controlled Parking

As part of the redevelopment, West Lakes is introducing controlled parking from 28 October 2013. Each customer will receive free parking for the first three hours every day, free parking with entry after 6pm and free parking when they spend $150 or more in one day*

WILL PARKING BE FREE?
- Every customer will receive the first three hours of parking free
- Parking is free when you enter and park after 6pm.
- Parking is free when you spend $150 or more in one day*
- Shoppers who stay longer than 3 hours will pay a car parking rate.

*Offer valid 28 October - 17 November 2013. Conditions apply. Limit of 1 claim per person per day. Purchases can be made from multiple retailers.

TIME FEE
0.0 – 3.0 hours FREE
3.0 – 3.5 hours $2.00
3.5 – 4.00 hours $3.00
4.0 – 4.5 hours $4.00
4.5 – 5.0 hours $5.00
5.0 – 5.5 hours $10.00
5.5 – 6.0 hours $15.00
6.0 – 6.5 hours $20.00
6.5 – 7.0 hours $22.00
7+ hours $22.00

http://www.westfield.com.au/westlakes/n ... s/car-park

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#208 Post by Nathan » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:20 pm

That all looks completely reasonable.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#209 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:03 pm

Nathan wrote:That all looks completely reasonable.
Agreed. At most, it's a token rate for big shoppers, while deterring the commuters from parking there at all.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#210 Post by how good is he » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:33 pm

I don't understand how people can spend longer than 3-4 hours in a shopping centre anyway.....even allowing for a movie of 1-2 hours...