[COM] Westfield West Lakes (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
pushbutton
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: U/C: Westfield West Lakes Expansion | $95m

#181 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:06 pm

They make a good point, that the 3 hour free period will most probably not last more than a few years before you'll have to pay from the moment you enter.

However I suppose people can vote with their feet and shop elsewhere if that happens.

Hopefully competitors such as Federation and Colonial won't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon. They might actually see it as an opportunity to attract those who don't want to pay for parking.

As I've said before, paying for parking is NOT an inevitability. I've seen many shopping centres overseas in far more densely populated cities which do not charge for parking. However, just as businesses will charge for bottled water if people are willing to pay for it, so businesses will charge people to simply leave their car on tarmac if people are willing to pay for it.

Personally, I would never dream of paying for either.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#182 Post by Nathan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:28 pm

pushbutton wrote:They make a good point, that the 3 hour free period will most probably not last more than a few years before you'll have to pay from the moment you enter.
How is it a good point? It's completely speculative. Norwood Place has had a 2hr free parking period in place for years with no change.

Besides, as much as they think they are, no one is entitled to even a minute of free parking.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#183 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:32 pm

I'm not entitled to park for free at a Westfield car park, but I am entitled to park my car elsewhere if I don't want to pay.

As I said, if Westfield ever do start charging from the time you enter, that's what I'll do.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#184 Post by Torrens_5022 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:50 am

What I would say is the most confusing bit with the 3 hr free parking is that at some centres - example http://www.westfield.com.au/liverpool/c ... king-rates and http://www.westfield.com.au/chermside/c ... king-rates - is that it states once per day only, how is this going to be enforced - will your car be towed if you return? or get a fine in the mail even if you posses two valid tickets. Can someone explain how this will be enforced, the system used at Glenelg with the Bay Village is explained clearly on the sign, will wesfields system use cameras and send people fines for parking twice in a day for free?
I just think it sounds a bit weird saying "once per day only", I know that some people may park all day and come out every 2 hours and 45mins to move there car, but what about people who just drop in the morning and then drop back in the afternoon.

MessiahAndrw
High Rise Poster!

#185 Post by MessiahAndrw » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:03 am

It actually costs money and uses space (which in dense urban areas is extremely valuable) to construct a park for each car. You're fully welcome to complain if they charge for parking (just as you'd complain if McDonald's doubled the prices of their meals) but none the less it's the choice of the business to do as they please.

No business, in their right mind, will purposely do something to make them loose money. If decision whether to charge for parking, or provide it for free comes down to simple logic:
- Will I make more money by subsidizing the cost of parking for my customers?

If... your car park is constantly full, and people complain about the lack of parking spaces, then the answer many be no. In purely economic sense, there's too much demand (people want to drive there and park), too little supply (not enough free spots) so from a business sense you can slightly increase the cost of parking until demand reaches an equilibrium at where demand = supply.

If.. you're near public transportation, or in an urban area with heavy foot traffic, then the answer may be no. Target and the Myer Centre is a perfect example. Foot traffic is heavy and public transportation is great, that free parking is estimated to not significantly increase sales enough to validate subsidizing it.
My blog on urban design: http://www.andrewalexanderprice.com/blog.php

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#186 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:06 am

They could use the same logic to charge for use of the toilets, or charge you to use tables in the food courts, or even charge you to enter the building! No way would I pay.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#187 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:55 am

pushbutton wrote:They could use the same logic to charge for use of the toilets, or charge you to use tables in the food courts, or even charge you to enter the building! No way would I pay.
Yes they could. There have been high end malls in the US where they charge you a 'cover charge' for entry, the difference is applied to an purchases you make. Some places wont even admit you without a pre-arranged appointment. Same with validated parking, the car park charges normal rates, but with any purchase you get your first couple hours included. Some places still charge for the use of toilets. Some food courts will actively move you on if you are not eating a meal from one of their vendors.

Disneyland charges for park admission and parking.

When it works, it works. You aren't the custom they are looking for. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#188 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:33 pm

If, like Disneyland, Westfield charged for parking and entry, but then once you were in everyone was free besides souvinirs and food and drink,I'd actually be quite happy to pay!

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#189 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:37 pm

pushbutton wrote:If, like Disneyland, Westfield charged for parking and entry, but then once you were in everyone was free besides souvinirs and food and drink,I'd actually be quite happy to pay!
Even if you had to line up for 45minutes to 3hours for each thing? :lol:

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#190 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:48 pm

monotonehell wrote:
pushbutton wrote:If, like Disneyland, Westfield charged for parking and entry, but then once you were in everyone was free besides souvinirs and food and drink,I'd actually be quite happy to pay!
Even if you had to line up for 45minutes to 3hours for each thing? :lol:
For free clothes, TVs, computers, Ipods, Mobiles, homewares, jewellery, movies, and even cars sometimes...... Sure!

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#191 Post by Allkai » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:48 am

Looks like the paid parking is on the way.

The entrance at Sportsmans Drive has been re-worked, and there's now a central island with bollards that look like boom gate/ticket machine locations.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#192 Post by Waewick » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:51 am

pushbutton wrote:They make a good point, that the 3 hour free period will most probably not last more than a few years before you'll have to pay from the moment you enter.

However I suppose people can vote with their feet and shop elsewhere if that happens.

Hopefully competitors such as Federation and Colonial won't be too quick to jump on the bandwagon. They might actually see it as an opportunity to attract those who don't want to pay for parking.

As I've said before, paying for parking is NOT an inevitability. I've seen many shopping centres overseas in far more densely populated cities which do not charge for parking. However, just as businesses will charge for bottled water if people are willing to pay for it, so businesses will charge people to simply leave their car on tarmac if people are willing to pay for it.

Personally, I would never dream of paying for either.
what is the ratio for car parking to shops in these "overseas centres"?

I realise everyone wants a free lunch, and that's what free parking is, but the fact of the matter is, these HUGE carparks we put up for shopping centres would be enormously expensive and I think they providers of such deserve to cover their costs after all having a free place to park your car isn't some sort of right of existence.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#193 Post by monotonehell » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:53 pm

Waewick wrote:what is the ratio for car parking to shops in these "overseas centres"?

I realise everyone wants a free lunch, and that's what free parking is, but the fact of the matter is, these HUGE carparks we put up for shopping centres would be enormously expensive and I think they providers of such deserve to cover their costs after all having a free place to park your car isn't some sort of right of existence.
Just while we are veering off topic, I noticed that Coles Rundle Place are offering an hour's free parking with $30 purchase. I guess we are starting to see the trend that other cities have had for decades. I still don't understand the mindset that some drivers expect to be able to park their property on someone else's property for free.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#194 Post by pushbutton » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:04 pm

The ratio of car parking to shops I don't know, but judging by how full they tend to get, probably about the same ratio as here.

As far as I'm concerned providing parking is just a cost of doing business if you run a shopping centre. Just as is providing toilets, cleaners, seating, security, playing music over the PA system, having a staffed customer service desk, and even providing occasional live entertainment, and so on.

All of it costs lots of money, but these are the reasons shopping centres make money too!

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#195 Post by neoballmon » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:42 pm

And some of the money in retailers rents, whether its 0.5% or 30% would be reimbursement to Westfield (in this case) for all the facilities mentioned by Pushbutton.
With paid parking, they are just increasing to this amount, leading to higher profits, lower retailer rent, or more renovations/renewals in the future.

I don't like to pay for parking, but I accept it when I go to Rundle Mall, and I will accept it when it spreads to Marion on the odd occasion I visit.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!