[COM] Westfield West Lakes (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Proposed: Westfield West Lakes extension

#16 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:29 am

Xaragmata wrote:
Omicron wrote:I'm so used to the single long mall of Marion that West Lakes seems like the most confusing little rabbit warren to me.
I don't find West Lakes confusing, but I am used to it. Marion is too long for my liking, Elizabeth isn't too bad, but TTP is the one I find
confusing.
To be honest, Marion seems small to me these days.

Omicron

#17 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:35 am

Cruise wrote:
Omicron wrote:I'm so used to the single long mall of Marion that West Lakes seems like the most confusing little rabbit warren to me.

Ive always found Elizabeth the easiest to navigate its one corridor that goes around in a square shape but yes, west lakes is the weirdest.
I say; I haven't been down to Elizabeth City Centre since the renovations all those years ago. Have they kept the wonderful clock tower and the '60s architecture around it?

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#18 Post by Cruise » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:40 am

They have kept the clock tower

Omicron

#19 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:44 am

Cruise wrote:They have kept the clock tower
8)

Brando
Donating Member
Donating Member

#20 Post by Brando » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:53 am

Cruise wrote:

Ive always found Elizabeth the easiest to navigate its one corridor that goes around in a square shape but yes, west lakes is the weirdest.
Elizabeth is now right up these with the better. I do live nearby, but even if i lived halfway between TTP and Eliz, i would still go to Eliz. So easy to get around, bright and new.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#21 Post by pushbutton » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Brando wrote:
Cruise wrote:

Elizabeth is now right up these with the better. I do live nearby, but even if i lived halfway between TTP and Eliz, i would still go to Eliz. So easy to get around, bright and new.
Agreed, it's much nicer than TTP, and a lot easier to park too!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by pushbutton » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:04 pm

More info (from http://dac.sa gov.au)

PROPOSAL IN DETAIL
The applicant has requested that the decision concerning the proposed freestanding mini-major tenancies located within the car park adjacent Turner Drive be reserved by Council as the relevant authority under Section 33, Part (3) of the Development Act.
The proposal does not include the three new mini-major stores separated from the main retail areas of the centre, one to the north east of the existing complex, adjacent the Shell service station and Hungry Jacks, one adjacent Turner Drive to the east of the existing complex and one towards the south eastern corner of the site. The proposed stores forming part of the reserved matter will be part of a separate development application.
The proposal comprises of the following components:
Additions to the existing ground level to create another internal mall running north south and branching to interconnect with the existing internal malls adjacent David Jones and Harris Scarfe.
Additions to the existing ground floor to create a new Discount Department Store (DDS), mini-major and new specialty shops all served by the new internal mall.
Additions to the second level of the centre to create an extension to the existing internal pedestrian mall and new mini-major.
Additional ground level car parking to the north of the existing complex along Brebner Drive. Additional mezzanine car parking to the northern side of the complex, and rooftop parking to the north and west of the complex, along Brebner Drive.
The establishment of additional landscaping along Brebner Drive and within the site.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#23 Post by pushbutton » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:11 pm

From the above document it would appear they are not only planning to build that new discount department store and specialty shops on the ground floor, but also to expand the upper level.

From the sound of it and from further details given in that document that I couldn't paste into this forum, this will probably be by demolishing most or all of the shops on one side of the upper mall (from JB Hi-fi to house and garden) and by expanding outwards over the top of the new ground level mall, and completely reconfiguring that side of the upper level to include a new mini-major.

I'm still n ot sure exactly what this would mean but although the upper level is now much better than it used to be, it is still under-utilised so any improvement and addition would be good.

Omicron

#24 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:56 pm

Dear Westfield,

Please give me my Marion expansion first.

Love, Omi.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by pushbutton » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:25 pm

Sorry Omi but Westfields plans are:
May 2008 = Tea Tree Plaza / Tea Tree Plus expansion begins
Sometime in 2009 = West Lakes expansion (subject to approval)
2010 Marion redevelopment

Omicron

#26 Post by Omicron » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:36 pm

pushbutton wrote:Sorry Omi but Westfields plans are:
May 2008 = Tea Tree Plaza / Tea Tree Plus expansion begins
Sometime in 2009 = West Lakes expansion (subject to approval)
2010 Marion redevelopment
Alas! Still, this shall give the Powers that Be the chance to design a positively fantastic extension that will be worthy of our full support and admiration.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#27 Post by crawf » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:33 am

Marion should be next year, it badly needs a makeover.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by pushbutton » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:57 pm

I agree. It's amazing though how fast some shopping centres start to look dated and shabby. Especially when you consider that Westfield Marion was completely rebuilt less than 10 years ago.

The same goes for the Myer Centre. It was built brand new in 1992 but now just 16 years later it looks very tired (and that's even though they have done a significant repainting job internally).

Omicron

#29 Post by Omicron » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:00 pm

pushbutton wrote:I agree. It's amazing though how fast some shopping centres start to look dated and shabby. Especially when you consider that Westfield Marion was completely rebuilt less than 10 years ago.

The same goes for the Myer Centre. It was built brand new in 1992 but now just 16 years later it looks very tired (and that's even though they have done a significant repainting job internally).
I think Marion was done right at the end of that particular Westfield style - most redevelopments they did since then moved away from fairly subdued cream and beige tones with limited street frontages, to dramatic white with highly polished tiles and feature walls of bold colour, and more tenancies facing out into the street.

Here's hoping that they update the whole interior - not like last time when they left the mall behind the food court escalators and by the office tower lifts in the old-style.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by jimmy_2486 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:39 am

Yes but what about the range of shops that TTP has that Elizabeth doesnt?

Isnt the whole point of going to a shopping centre, to shop??

I dont care how good Elizabeth looks, if there is more shops at TTP, id rather go there.