[COM] Westfield West Lakes (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Westfield denied request to install boom-gates at West L

#61 Post by SRW » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:05 pm

West Lakes shoppers will pay to park
ABC News Online, 15 November 2010

Boom gates will be installed on the car parks of West Lakes Mall shopping centre, in Adelaide's west.

Charles Sturt Council has decided against fighting the plan in court.

Based on legal advice, it concedes it would be unlikely to win any challenge against the shopping centre's operator, Westfield.

An agreement has been reached that the staff of stores at the Mall will get free parking and all shoppers will be allowed three hours of parking before they face any charge.
Keep Adelaide Weird

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Marion & TTP needs more of an upgrade than West Lakes...
Deal struck over West Lakes shopping centre parking
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5953701183

BOOM gates and paid parking will be introduced at Westfield's West Lakes complex after the local council conceded it would lose a legal challenge against its decision to block the plan.

Charles Sturt council today said it "agreed to a compromise" after receiving legal advice.

The complex is regularly used by crowds at Port Power and Adelaide Crows home games at the nearby AAMI Stadium.

Westfield had appealed to the Environment, Resources and Development Court after the council's Development Assessment Panel refused an application to install boom gates and paid parking.

"Council received legal advice from its solicitors and Senior Counsel that it was almost certainly going to fail in court if it pursued a case to refuse the boom gate application," the council said in a statement.

"It was also advised that achieving positive community outcomes could be better reached if a compromise was reached between the parties."

RELATED COVERAGE
Mayor demands more O-Bahn parking Adelaide Now, 27 Oct 2010
Claremont council's $11m property play Perth Now, 25 Oct 2010
Cappo was aware of sale plan Adelaide Now, 8 Oct 2010
Councils battling the brides Daily Telegraph, 16 Aug 2010
Shoppers' parking fine hike Adelaide Now, 14 Aug 2010

The deal forces Westfield to:

ALLOW three hours of free car parking for all centre users.

GIVE free parking to people using the community centre and library parking for more than three hours.

PROVIDE access to free parking for staff of the shopping centre.

DELIVER an already-approved $250 million upgrade and expansion of the shopping centre prior to introducing boom gates and paid parking.

MAKE improvements to lighting and signage at entry and exit points of the shopping centre and clearly identify the location of ticket machines.

"This compromise results in a better outcome for the Charles Sturt community than if the matter had progressed in court, as sensible arrangements for staff and shoppers have been accommodated through the conciliated process," the council said.

"Our priorities in reaching compromise were to ensure users of the shopping centre have safe access, that shoppers retain a reasonable amount of free and convenient parking, that staff parking be made available without charge, and that library and community centre users are able to continue parking at no cost.

"The community can also be assured that there will be no change to the parking controls until such time as the proposed shopping centre expansion is completed."

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by pushbutton » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:34 pm

Well some people no doubt will still have reservations about the new parking system being introduced, but I think this agreement is quite likely to result in Westfield being able to fast-track the process of starting the long-awaited development at West Lakes, which in some respects is good news.

I say in some respects because I do have concerns that the exterior appearance of the centre will be worse with the new development, and I certainly wouldn't be happy about it if I were one of the people living in the new apartments directly opposite where the extension will be located. I think it's highly likely the extension will be quite ugly.

However at least it will provide more shops, and I'm very glad they've made it so staff can park for free (although I do wonder how long that, and some of the other principles of the stated compromise agreement, will last).

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#64 Post by AtD » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:44 pm

Talk about a beat up.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#65 Post by Waewick » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:59 pm

in reality it was always going to happen

the bonus being that hopefully more people head into the CBD

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#66 Post by Omicron » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Or take the bus.

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

#67 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Thu May 19, 2011 12:54 pm

West Lakes free parking fight
SHOPPERS at Westfield West Lakes will have their car registration numbers recorded and be watched by cameras at boom gates and ticket machines when paid parking is introduced.

Lobby group No Car Parking Fees for West Lakes is renewing its campaign in the wake of the successful vote of South Australian Cricket Association members to allow AFL football to shift from AAMI Stadium to an upgraded Adelaide Oval.

Spokeswoman Julie Macdonald said that in talks with Westfield, the company had revealed its plans for the camera system, including for the recording of number plates.

The recording would allow Westfield to stop shoppers leaving the carpark shortly before the three-hour unpaid time limit expired, to avoid payment, then re-entering shortly afterwards.

The move of AFL away from West Lakes in 2014 would stop the problem of game-day parking congestion, removing the only legitimate reason for the introduction of paid parking, Ms Macdonald said.

Following the SACA vote, she wrote to Westfield asking the company to reconsider.

“Nobody’s ever had a problem getting a park on sale days or any other days except for game days.

“Making people pay for parking is an appalling way to recoup money from shoppers.”

There would be a rush to ticket machines, causing long queues and delays, when the centre closed each day, Ms Macdonald said.

Westfield plans to introduce paid parking following a $250 million expansion of the centre, expected to be completed in late 2012. The Weekly TImes Messenger asked Westfield about the privacy concerns, how many cameras would be used, where they would be placed and how they would be monitored.

more: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... ing-fight/

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Minor upgrade to Westfield West Lakes

#68 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Thu May 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Westfield plans to introduce paid parking following a $250 million expansion of the centre, expected to be completed in late 2012. The Weekly TImes Messenger asked Westfield about the privacy concerns, how many cameras would be used, where they would be placed and how they would be monitored.

more: http://portside-messenger.whereilive.co ... ing-fight/

russo92
Gold-Member ;)

#69 Post by russo92 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Who cares about the paid parking there'll be major public backlash anyway, whats this about a $250 million expansion?? Anyone have any link to details on this or know anything about it

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#70 Post by pushbutton » Sun May 22, 2011 6:46 pm

There's been talk of an expansion at Westfield West Lakes for at least 5 years but like the ones at TTP and Marion it has been put on hold numerous times, as always happens with shopping centre developments, and the delays have been further extended by the GFC and by the fact Westfield D&C are currently concentrating exclusively on Westfield Sydney. Nothing seems imminent at this stage although the GFC is over, and Sydney is not that far from completion (or at least the most complex parts of the project are over I think) so perhaps we'll start to see some announcements in the not too distant future.

The basic concept at West Lakes is to build on the carpark that is between David Jones and Harris Scarfe providing a new major store (likely to be Target) and a new mall of specialty shops linking David Jones shoes department to the Harris Scarfe mall. Above that would be rooftop carparking.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

[COM] Re: Proposed: Westfield West Lakes extension

#71 Post by JamesXander » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:43 am

Hi guys, im doing some ground work for work (wait what), and would like to know the peoples feelings towards Westfield west lakes at the moment.

I'd also like to know peoples general feelings towards the level 1 area, with JB HI FI, Rebel , readings and the other stores up there.

Lastly, as a subjective matter, what centre would you compare west lakes to in terms of patronage and ambience. Is it quiter then it was a few years ago, roughly the same or more popular.

Many thanks,
James

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#72 Post by pushbutton » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:08 pm

JamesXander wrote:Hi guys, im doing some ground work for work (wait what), and would like to know the peoples feelings towards Westfield west lakes at the moment.

I'd also like to know peoples general feelings towards the level 1 area, with JB HI FI, Rebel , readings and the other stores up there.

Lastly, as a subjective matter, what centre would you compare west lakes to in terms of patronage and ambience. Is it quiter then it was a few years ago, roughly the same or more popular.

Many thanks,
James
I shop at Westfield West Lakes frequently and live close to it, and regard it as one of the best shopping centres in Adelaide and equal to Elizabeth Shopping Centre and Colonnades in terms of it's ambience and style. I've seen far better shopping centres interstate and overseas, but in SA terms it's pretty good. I like the fact the ambience is quite fresh, clean and spacious, and the red and silver directional signage is pretty stylish and helps provide a slightly upmarket feel to the centre.

I am not sure if it's busier or quieter than it was a few years ago. I'd guess about the same number of customers are visting on a daily basis though.

As for the upper level of the centre, it's quite small still and doesn't have a lot of shops, but at least the ones it does have are the sort of shops that really attract large numbers of customers, and also the upper level is quite well servied by lifts and escalators now and of course also has access to and from David Jones. I would say that if and when the expansion finally goes ahead it would certainly be good if the upper level was expanded and ideally if it had a new external entry direct from the rooftop carpark that will be created above target. Hopefully a better and wider entry than the one near the cinemas!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#73 Post by pushbutton » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:24 pm

Anyone know what's being built at Westfield West Lakes just beside the undercover carpark?

Fencing went up this week but there's no signage up so far.

I'm pretty sure it won't be anything exciting but as nothing is happening with the actual extension to the mall anytime soon, well at least it's something!

My guess is it will be one of those awful "Muzz Buzz" drive through coffee shops like at Arndale. I can't imagine why anyone would use it though when it's right next to McCafe with it's pleasant ambience and comfortable seating area plus complementary newspapers to read, but that is my guess as the fenced area is about the right size for one and it can't be a carwash as there's already one right next to it.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by crawf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:54 am

pushbutton wrote:I can't imagine why anyone would use it though when it's right next to McCafe with it's pleasant ambience and comfortable seating area plus complementary newspapers to read
Sorry, but Lol

mooshie
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by mooshie » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Apparently they are just re doing the carparking