ONH: [Gilberton] 45 Park | 35m | 10lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: SWP: [Gilberton] 45 Park | 35m | 10lvls | Residential

#151 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:40 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Why do they have the nerve to pull off 'racist rubbish' like this?
Lolwut

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: ONH: [Gilberton] 45 Park | 35m | 10lvls | Residential

#152 Post by claybro » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:35 pm

There are too many developements aimed at the "top end". Why cant they build some decent quality affordable 3 bedroom appartments and market to families, not ghettos, but a good quality build with some substantial governments concessions. I think they aim at a too narrow market.Seems to be either students, or wealthy retirees. This would be a great location for young families that would preferr near city living to being stuck out in the 'burbs.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#153 Post by Will » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:30 am

claybro wrote:There are too many developements aimed at the "top end". Why cant they build some decent quality affordable 3 bedroom appartments and market to families, not ghettos, but a good quality build with some substantial governments concessions. I think they aim at a too narrow market.Seems to be either students, or wealthy retirees. This would be a great location for young families that would preferr near city living to being stuck out in the 'burbs.
Yes, I completely agree.

Forget the swimming pools, Italian marble benchtops, saunas, feng shei gardens and other luxury stuff that drives up costs. Just build decent, affordable, family accomodation!

Waewick

#154 Post by Waewick » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:16 pm

Simply too expensive

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by monotonehell » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Will wrote:
claybro wrote:There are too many developements aimed at the "top end". Why cant they build some decent quality affordable 3 bedroom appartments and market to families, not ghettos, but a good quality build with some substantial governments concessions. I think they aim at a too narrow market.Seems to be either students, or wealthy retirees. This would be a great location for young families that would preferr near city living to being stuck out in the 'burbs.
Yes, I completely agree.

Forget the swimming pools, Italian marble benchtops, saunas, feng shei gardens and other luxury stuff that drives up costs. Just build decent, affordable, family accomodation!
I often wonder why developers don't go for the old air travel model. You have a dozen in first class, that pays the cost of the flight, then economy is just butter. Have as few of the top shelf units as the market will bare then build the rest in good quality, simple more affordable apartments.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

claybro

#156 Post by claybro » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:05 pm

I have seen some developements in the UK where you can buy "off the plan" a basic empty shell in an appartment structure. Much like the popular warehouse conversions, but in modern complexes. It is much cheaper and you get to choose from a variety of internal fitouts and floorplans to suit.there are certain minimum requirements to make it liveable by law, but you can really keep costs down, have some say in developement and end up with your own unique home. As it stands unless you are a student or rich with no kids..forget living in the city.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#157 Post by Hooligan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:12 pm

I agree, I will never understand why apartments are not geared towards so called "normal people". If more families had the chance to live in apartments the social stigma of high density living would deteriorate.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Waewick

#158 Post by Waewick » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:06 pm

guys it comes down to costs.

unless they can build a decent sized apartment for less than it costs to buy a existing house then it won't happen, that is why you don't see large floor plate apartments aimed at families the costs are simply prohibitive compared to what else is on offer in the city

claybro

#159 Post by claybro » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:24 am

Hmm yeh I kind of get that, but how much does the government indirectly subsidise the cost of greenfield developements with the new infastructure that is required over ever increasing distances. ie urban sprawl has meant the duplication of the expressway and the extension of the Noarlunga rail, there is approx $800MIL to the Southern outskirts alone, not allowing for sewers water etc. Surely the govenment can subsidise some familystyle appartments in various developements in the inner metro/city area in the form of larger appartments, would add greatly to the diversity and variety of developements and neighbourhoods in general.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#160 Post by Eurostar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:36 pm

Is there even a supermarket nearby?

claybro

#161 Post by claybro » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Eurostar wrote:Is there even a supermarket nearby?
Within 2 kilometers, new Woolworths Walkerville. IGA walkerville. Coles "the Avenues" St Peters. Foodland O'Connel Street. Within 5 minutes, The Parade Norwood and Burnside Village. Admit these are not walking distance, but then how many of us in the burbs live within a comfortable walk of our local supermarket.

Waewick

#162 Post by Waewick » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:41 pm

claybro wrote:Hmm yeh I kind of get that, but how much does the government indirectly subsidise the cost of greenfield developements with the new infastructure that is required over ever increasing distances. ie urban sprawl has meant the duplication of the expressway and the extension of the Noarlunga rail, there is approx $800MIL to the Southern outskirts alone, not allowing for sewers water etc. Surely the govenment can subsidise some familystyle appartments in various developements in the inner metro/city area in the form of larger appartments, would add greatly to the diversity and variety of developements and neighbourhoods in general.
well this is the problem, it would be political suicide to expose the subsidies to green field developments both directly and indirectly.

but you are spot on the money, if we removed subsidies for living in the middle of know where in order to buy a cheap house then we would already have far more medium density housing.

I got my water bill the other day, sewerage up again despite me shitting less as home.

claybro

#163 Post by claybro » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm

Waewick wrote:I got my water bill the other day, sewerage up again despite me shitting less as home.
Thats not healthy :toilet:

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#164 Post by stumpjumper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:26 pm

Solution: Piss in the shower and crap on the vegetable garden.

Waewick

#165 Post by Waewick » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:44 am

claybro wrote:
Waewick wrote:I got my water bill the other day, sewerage up again despite me shitting less as home.
Thats not healthy :toilet:
oh I use the work ones :hilarious: