COM: Glenelg Entertainment Complex

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
arki
High Rise Poster!

Re: Glenelg Entertainment Complex (New Magic Mountain)

#316 Post by arki » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:07 pm

It would be hard making a profit with Holdfast Bay council ripping them off blind.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#317 Post by pushbutton » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:02 pm

I couldn't agree more songstring. Common sense just doesn't enter the equation in most businesses these days. I've seen over and over again in businesses I've worked for. Managers tear their hair out trying to work within impossible budget constraints and policies, when if they were allowed to just use common sense then in many cases the business would actually make more and lose less!

Sadly when I've tried to implement common sense solutions I've often found myself seriously outvoted! It's like some sort of crime to use common sense in business these days. Policies, procedures and politics come first!

Sorry if this seems a bit off topic, but it has to be said and I'm sure it's one of the main reasons the worlds economies are in such a shambles right now!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#318 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:13 pm

I personally think this would be a great addition to a very underutilised area and will add to the currently lacking facilities at the beachhouse.
Glenelg's water world
by: Tim Williams, The Guardian Messenger

WET AND WILD: Beachouse owner Peter Rimington has consulted a Canadian company about building a theme-park like the one pictured above at the Bay.

A $1 million, themed water playground several storeys tall is being touted for the Glenelg foreshore by the owner of the Beachouse entertainment centre.

Beachouse owner Peter Rimington wants to build the water park on the site of the Holdfast Bay Council-owned building that used to house the Scampi's restaurant.

Mr Rimington has had Canadian water park company WhiteWater West Industries produce a mock-up of what one of its "Aqua Play" parks would look like there.

He said the 900sq m park would feature a range of tunnels and slides.

It also would feature a huge tipping bucket at the top intermittently dumping water on users.

It would be aimed at children aged up to 12 and open between October and April.

"Young children could have a lot of fun playing safely in this sort of environment," Mr Rimington said.

"The slides are just basic flows for younger children.

"There's nothing thrill seeker about them.

"(The bucket) sends off a warning so if you want to get out of the way, you do."

Aqua Play parks come in a range of themes including Hawaiian, pirates, sharks and Atlantis. Mr Rimington favoured the Hawaiian one but said "all of them have merit".

"It would just give people more reason to come to Glenelg," Mr Rimington said.

"If you were choosing to come to a beach that had this or one that didn't, you'd come to this one." Mr Rimington, who mooted a $10 entrance fee for the park, said he would seek a meeting in coming weeks with council staff to discuss the proposal, which also included a cafe, toilets and lockers for beachgoers.

He said he was happy to pay rent to the council for use of the site but there would be lots of details to work through if the council was interested in the plan.

"There's a fair bit of money to recover for a million-dollar investment," he said.

"There's lots of things to talk about if they're interested."

Construction would only take a few months if the park was approved, he said.

"We could get it up and running for next summer (2013-14)."

WhiteWater West Industries describes itself on its website (whitewaterwest.com) as "the largest and most experienced builder of water parks and aquatic attractions in the world".

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#319 Post by crawf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:22 pm

It does have merit, but it could look incredibly tacky.

Pushbutton will wet himself when he sees this.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: COM/PRO: Glenelg Ent Complex (Beachhouse & Water World)

#320 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:22 pm

I agree, it may look a little tacky, but I think it is needed. Glenelg sorely needs something else to draw people to the area and provide further entertainment options for tourists and locals, and this is just one of many ways of achieving that.

Not a fan of the preferred Hawaiian theme though, we should push for something that is distinctively South Australian - possibly a theme on our native marine species - from an architectural POV you could really create something visually interesting with the canvas and shape of the leafy seadragon enveloping the waterslides. :2cents:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#321 Post by Wayno » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:17 pm

looks like the old 'Mouse Trap' board game :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#322 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:01 pm

Yeah, I can't work out what exactly I'm looking at in that render. Also: limited to under 12s? Balls.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#323 Post by pushbutton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:31 pm

I'd say it would probably be a small, but significant step in the right direction. However rather than build it as a seperate entity it should be part of the Beach House, and I'd prefer it if the entrance fee was payable via the existing Beachhouse funcards (which I think is probably what is planned anyway).

Nice idea and would add some value to the existing Beach House, but limited appeal to adults. I would ideally prefer that a bigger and more ambitious version was created, whereby it could become a full-featured waterpark. I appreciate though the land may not be available on that site.

What I'd ideally like to see is the whole of Colley Reserve used. That would be sufficient land for a pretty good waterpark, if used well and then we could be talking about something that would be genuinely exciting. No doubt some would whinge about the loss of open public grass area for casual sports etc, but given that there's another big reserve (is it "Wigley reserve"?) right next to it I don't see that as an issue.

Nevertheless I'm very pleased to see someone proposing such a thing and given that it's right next to the Beachhouse I think there's every chance the proposal will be accepted. Assuming it goes ahead, perhaps the next expansion would indeed be on Colley Reserve and could happen in just a few years time.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#324 Post by crawf » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 pm

IMO it would look better if it was built behind the Beachhouse and hidden from the beach and jetty. Also while they at it, can they add some more arcade games and possibly transform the 3rd level from a function room into more entertainment options. The Beachhouse has got to be the most overrated attraction in Adelaide. Promises so much but delivers very little, even for smaller kids.

Though it's not all the developers fault, much of blame is thanks to the local council.
pushbutton wrote: What I'd ideally like to see is the whole of Colley Reserve used. That would be sufficient land for a pretty good waterpark, if used well and then we could be talking about something that would be genuinely exciting. No doubt some would whinge about the loss of open public grass area for casual sports etc, but given that there's another big reserve (is it "Wigley reserve"?) right next to it I don't see that as an issue.

Nevertheless I'm very pleased to see someone proposing such a thing and given that it's right next to the Beachhouse I think there's every chance the proposal will be accepted. Assuming it goes ahead, perhaps the next expansion would indeed be on Colley Reserve and could happen in just a few years time.
Could you imagine the nuclear war this would create, local nimbys and council would go into meltdown.It would be better if Greenhills Adventure Park was redeveloped with a bigger water precinct, where there is more room. Or a new park built in the suburbs.

Also I quite like Colley Reserve, it breaks up the concrete.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#325 Post by rev » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:38 am

Wow, more water slides and kids entertainment...
That'll bring in those tourists! Emirates, Singapore, Cathay Pacific & Malaysia will put on hourly flights to cope.

In reality all its going to be is an extension of the existing Beach House.
Theme park? :lol:
You want to see a theme park try the Gold Coast.

Why not build a roller coaster or two? That IS something that will bring more people to the bay..
There's like 2,300 sqm in front of the beach house.
Even more behind it. Then there's Colley reserve.

Btw, anyone been down that way or looked on nearmaps last update? What's being built on the sand in front of the beach house where the volleyball is(or used to be now)?
I'm guessing change rooms..

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#326 Post by Wayno » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:32 am

rev wrote:Btw, anyone been down that way or looked on nearmaps last update? What's being built on the sand in front of the beach house where the volleyball is(or used to be now)? I'm guessing change rooms..
it's one of 4 pumping stations for replacing displaced sand back along the beach front to Kingston. Basically does away with the need for trucks.

More here and here
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ghs

#327 Post by ghs » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:09 pm

I can't see it happening given the fact that the council owns the land.

If if does go ahead then for only a million dollars it won't be anything special.

I heard the Glenelg Mayor speaking on 5AA this afternoon and he was talking about the possibility
of a slippery dip from the jetty down to the sand and a diving platform at the end of the jetty.

Nort

#328 Post by Nort » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:00 am

ghs wrote:I can't see it happening given the fact that the council owns the land.

If if does go ahead then for only a million dollars it won't be anything special.

I heard the Glenelg Mayor speaking on 5AA this afternoon and he was talking about the possibility
of a slippery dip from the jetty down to the sand and a diving platform at the end of the jetty.
A seawater slide could be good, a standalone slippery dip sitting out in the open sun in an area full of sand though? OUCH.

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#329 Post by Goya's Line » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:33 am

For me 'tacky' was what made holidays to Glenelg memorable - the old Bay Junction centre, Magic Mountain, a revolving restaurant, Birdman Rally, milk carton regatta, genuine Mexican apartments, red rattlers and HMS Buffalo. By 1990 the kitsch value was as much an experience as the cinema and beach, yet Rimington now has to appease highrise neighbours and council to bring some colour back to the bay.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#330 Post by crawf » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:57 am

Goya's Line wrote:For me 'tacky' was what made holidays to Glenelg memorable - the old Bay Junction centre, Magic Mountain, a revolving restaurant, Birdman Rally, milk carton regatta, genuine Mexican apartments, red rattlers and HMS Buffalo. By 1990 the kitsch value was as much an experience as the cinema and beach, yet Rimington now has to appease highrise neighbours and council to bring some colour back to the bay.
I would love to see the Birdman Rally and Milk Carton Regatta reintroduced into a new festival for the bay or even in the city.