News & Developments: Henley Beach & Grange

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Projects: Henley Beach/Grange

#76 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:51 pm

Some recent pics...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#77 Post by crawf » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:34 pm

Detailed plans for the proposed 5-level retail/apartment complex for Henley Square, opposite the Ramsgate Hotel
http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/webda ... _Beach.pdf
Plans released for five-story apartment complex at Henley Beach
http://weekly-times-messenger.whereiliv ... ley-beach/

AN INDOOR mall with three restaurants, 22 shops and a kiosk will feature in a five-storey apartment complex planned for Henley Square.

If approved, the development on the corner of Seaview Rd and Main St will also include 66 apartments and 198 underground carparks - about 100 less parks than previously planned.

It will dwarf the three-storey Ramsgate Hotel on the opposite corner.

The complex will also feature glass walkways leading to the adjacent Baju and H20 apartment buildings, which are under construction next door.

The plans for the development, lodged by Bayspring Pty Ltd, have been released by Charles Sturt Council for public consultation.

Residents can lodge submissions with the council until Monday, August 15.

Pick up your Weekly Times Messenger next week for the full story.

[Shuz]

#78 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Looks pretty good, it's quite a sizable development. Will be good to have an additional influx of residents in the area to help further activate Henley Square.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Will » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:11 pm

That is a very attractive development.

I hope the local anti-progress people actually bother to look at the plans before knocking it. This development will be a positive boost to the area.

Adelarch
Donating Member
Donating Member

#80 Post by Adelarch » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am

Agreed. It’s a good scale for this location – its density will add some life to the precinct and contrary the Messenger’s view that it will ‘dwarf’ the Ramsgate Hotel I think it sits with it nicely.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#81 Post by crawf » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:59 pm

I actually I wish the curved apartments was double the height, that would look quite good

Other than that it's a pretty nice development

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by crawf » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:44 am

Baju and H20 are looking pretty damn good when I went past them the other night.

The local nimby brigade simply need to put a sock in it, as this development has improved the streetscape immensely.

ghs

#83 Post by ghs » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Any more pics of Baju and H20 ?

Xaragmata

#84 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:49 pm

ghs wrote:Any more pics of Baju and H20 ?
From a week ago - I took more yesterday, but haven't worked on them yet. Most units are marked as sold.

[Shuz]

#85 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:28 pm

Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#86 Post by Will » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:57 pm

Great news from the Messnger:
Henley development submissions void

Local News31 Aug 11 @ 02:00pm by Lia Harris

DEVELOPMENT: Henley Beach resident Robert Crocker

ALMOST all of the residents’ submissions about a five-storey apartment complex set to change the face of Henley Square will never see the light of day.

Charles Sturt Council has received comments from 40 people living near the apartment complex, planned at the corner of Seaview Rd and Main St, raising concerns about issues including the size of the complex and its impact on Henley Square.

However, CEO Mark Withers said of the submissions, fewer than five would be given to the council’s Development Assessment Panel (DAP) when it considered the application, because the remaining 35 residents lived outside the 60m consultation zone.

Among the residents to make submissions was High St resident Robert Crocker, who labelled the consultation process as “appalling”.

“Given the scale of the development and the iconic location, you need neighbourhoods to be able to comment; it’s a violation of our basic democratic rights,” he said.

Mr Crocker lives about 100m from the development site and was last week told by council staff his submission would not be considered. He was concerned about the height of buildings and potential traffic congestion.

The development, planned by Richard Antunes, will dwarf the Ramsgate Hotel.

Western Adelaide Coastal Residents Association president Jim Douglas said the large number of submissions highlighted the level of concern among residents.

Mr Withers said under state development laws, residents farther than 60m from a development site could only be consulted when an application did not comply with a council’s development plan.

Charles Sturt Mayor Kirsten Alexander said the rules restricting those who could comment on the development were unfair.

“When it is a major development like this and only a very limited number of people can make a submission, there is something that needs to be reviewed,” she said.

Mr Antunes did not return phone calls before the Weekly Times Messenger’s deadline

Benski81
High Rise Poster!

Projects: Henley Beach/Grange

#87 Post by Benski81 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:44 pm

There's a Western Adelaide Coastal Residents Association?

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.870255,138.561597

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#88 Post by Will » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:18 pm

From the Messenger:
Henley fashion hub

Local News21 Sep 11 @ 02:00pm by CARLY SCHABOWSKI

WELCOMING: Eve Balestrin and Cristy Vlassopoulos walk past the new apartment and shopping complexes.

HENLEY Beach is set to become a hub for high-end fashion, with French Connection and Nine West among designers expected to open shops there later this month.

The two chains will open their doors at Seaview Rd, Henley Beach, on September 30, as part of the H20 and Baju apartment complexes being built across from Henley Square.

Women’s and children’s Clothing brand Seed has also confirmed it will open a store in the complex in the coming two months.

Nine West head of marketing Vicki Stapleton said items in the Henley Beach branch would suit the coastal location.

“The shop will be offering our usual range but will also take on more casual, laid-back options to suit the seaside feel of the area,” Ms Stapleton said.

French Connection Australia public relations manager Sarah Cargill said the company had chosen to open in Henley Beach because of the area’s high customer following.

It will be the third store to open in the state, joining branches in the city and Norwood.

As previously reported by the Weekly Times Messenger, residents in the area have raised concerns about the scale of the four-storey development and a five-storey apartment complex planned next door at the corner or Seaview Rd and Main St.

Concerns include the complexes’ potential to increase traffic and parking problems.

The three complexes being built by developer Richard Antunes will feature about 38 shops and more than 130 apartments.

The Weekly Times Messenger hit Henley Square this week to ask visitors for their thoughts.

Findon resident Cristy Vlassopoulos, 30, expected the new shops would boost the area’s tourism and economy. “It would save me having to go into the city with a little baby,” she said.

Her mum, Walkley Heights resident Eve Balestrin, agreed: “It will be great for the residents ... as they can then shop locally.”

Omicron

#89 Post by Omicron » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:10 pm

I was at Henley Square for lunch the other day, and it's the first time I've thought it looked like someone had actually bothered to spend any money on the place. Thank goodness! These developments can't come any sooner. Next project - removing the ghastly SLSC on the foreshore, please.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#90 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:04 pm

There is talk of demolishing the current SLSC building, and replacing it with a modern 3-level building including a restaurant or function room.

Then there is the plan to eventually redevelop the entire Henley Square Precinct.