News & Developments: Henley Beach & Grange

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Projects: Henley Beach/Grange

#61 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Henley Square tourist push
http://weekly-times-messenger.whereiliv ... rist-push/
16 MAR 11 @ 08:49AM BY MICHELLE ETHERIDGE

Charles Sturt councillor Bob Randall wants more tourist accommodation at Henley Square.

A 10-STOREY apartment building or hotel should be built at Henley Square to sell the suburb as a coastal tourist destination, a Charles Sturt councillor says.

Henley Ward councillor Bob Randall told the Weekly Times Messenger a five-storey apartment complex planned for the corner of Seaview Rd and Main St should instead be expanded as holiday accommodation.

He said he would also move a motion in the coming weeks for the council to investigate ways to encourage other high-rise development along the Henley seafront.

Cr Randall said he was seeking a meeting with land owner Richard Antunes, who also owns the Baju and H20 apartment complexes being built on Seaview Rd, to discuss the proposal.

“I think we need an icon development to put the square on the map,” Cr Randall said.

“People are saying they don’t want the area to become like Glenelg - but Glenelg is abuzz.”

As previously reported by the Weekly Times Messenger, Mr Antunes’ company Bayspring has lodged with Charles Sturt Council plans for a five-storey complex on Seaview Rd, with 22 shops, 76 apartments and an underground carpark for 299 cars.

If approved, the $40 million development will dwarf the Ramsgate on the opposite corner.

The proposal has met harsh criticism from locals concerned about its impact on the area’s character and potential traffic problems.

Cr Randall said Mr Antunes’ proposed development was one of the last opportunities for high-rise development in the area.

“(Developers) could also create more open space by buying up a number of houses along the seafront.

“They could build a six to 10-storey building and around those towers have open space with undercroft parking underneath - it leaves you with open space with sea views.”

Mr Antunes was last week unavailable for interview.

Western Adelaide Coastal Residents Association president Jim Douglas said his group was not in favour of high-rise development in Henley Beach.

“These streets are not built for that sort of development,” Mr Douglas said. “A lot of people have moved to Henley because of its character, culture and social cohesion.

“These types of developments destroy all of those aspects.”

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#62 Post by rhino » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:31 pm

As Bob Randell says, Glenelg is abuzz, but then Henley, Brighton and Semaphore are so much nicer, IMHO. Glenelg is okay if you don't go to these other beachside suburbs, but if you do, and have an al fresco lunch at one of the streetside cafes or restaurants there, and then head down to Glenelg, you soon see the difference - unless you are on Glenelg Beach itself, there is no sense of being anywhere near the beach, you could be in Norwood.

Brighton, Henley and Semaphore are quinessential beachside villages, which have a distinct charm, and, while I'm not against development, I would hate to see them become more Glenelgs. My :2cents:
cheers,
Rhino

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#63 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:52 pm

I think one 8-10 level apartment/hotel complex wouldn't be so bad for Henley Square. There is already a huge demand for housing in the area and it would be better than having a row of 4-5 level apartments alongside each other on Seaview Road, which is already starting to happen.

Though I would oppose anything that is stumpy and fat, similar to Platinum @ Glenelg. Instead I would like to see a tall building that is modern but not over powering, so it blends in well with the area.

Omicron

#64 Post by Omicron » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:21 pm

For the life of me, I do not know what is so undesirable about Glenelg that causes such rabid foaming at the mouth with fear and anger whenever suburban development is proposed. I've never understood it, and I probably never will.

metro
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by metro » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Omicron wrote:For the life of me, I do not know what is so undesirable about Glenelg that causes such rabid foaming at the mouth with fear and anger whenever suburban development is proposed. I've never understood it, and I probably never will.
IKR, what is so wrong with Glenelg? it's like Adelaide's version of Manly (Glenelg Tram = Manly Ferry) and Manly is a great beach and people in Henley beach shouldnt be worried at all, it's not like it's going to turn into Surfers overnight (or ever because there is no surf :lol: )

Reb-L
High Rise Poster!

#66 Post by Reb-L » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:32 pm

I agree with crawF; put the taller buildings along Seaview Rd. Then we can keep the Esplanade similar to what it is now and there can be commercial activity and apartments with views one step behind - everybody can hang around where they like it best. Just fix up the waterfront a little plz or it might turn into another Glenelg North foreshore that looks like there's been a tsunami there.

skyliner

#67 Post by skyliner » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:57 pm

crawf wrote:I think one 8-10 level apartment/hotel complex wouldn't be so bad for Henley Square. There is already a huge demand for housing in the area and it would be better than having a row of 4-5 level apartments alongside each other on Seaview Road, which is already starting to happen.

Though I would oppose anything that is stumpy and fat, similar to Platinum @ Glenelg. Instead I would like to see a tall building that is modern but not over powering, so it blends in well with the area.
Agreed! What is so bad with Glenelg anyway. It's the only one with a distinct suburban feel belonging to a city, still maintaining the beach element. There is plenty of room for one such suburtb as this IMHO.
Jack.

ghs

#68 Post by ghs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:47 pm

any more pics ?

The framework for the building must be nearly complete.

Xaragmata

#69 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:21 pm

From last week:

Last edited by Xaragmata on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbcrow
Gold-Member ;)

#70 Post by dbcrow » Wed May 04, 2011 4:01 pm

Is the crane gone from this site? I can't see it from my office in the city, and I normally can.

Xaragmata

#71 Post by Xaragmata » Wed May 04, 2011 6:15 pm

dbcrow wrote:Is the crane gone from this site? I can't see it from my office in the city, and I normally can.
I noticed it was gone last night, & made sure today - definitely gone.

Algernon

#72 Post by Algernon » Thu May 12, 2011 8:25 pm

I may have moved on after 25 years of being an Adelaide boy, but I do check back quite often to check the score. This sort of in fill development really takes me to my happy place.

One thing that is lost on South Aussies is Adelaide possesses some qualities that other cities would kill for, but sadly are never capitalised. One of those has been Adelaide's beaches. So much potential! I see 15 storey crap built in the middle of nowehere here. No amenity, visual or otherwise. Yet in Adelaide there's empty spaces like at Semaphore park that lay dormant. Such as mis match.

Thankfully developments like these show the ship is slowly turning, but there's more to be done. It's at least somewhat disconcerting that a forum that is on the pro development fringe has constituents that look at this 4 storey building and whinge that it's not in 'character.' Fair dinkum. It was an empty sand dune with a bus stop!!! Name anything consisting of bricks and mortar that remain in character with that.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#73 Post by Ben » Fri May 27, 2011 3:19 pm

From The Messenger:
Forum on Henley high rise

27 May 11 @ 09:42am by Michelle Etheridge

MORE than 200 people are expected to turn out to a forum on development around Henley Beach this weekend.

The meeting on Sunday, May 29, is being organised by the Western Adelaide Coastal Residents Association (WARCA).

Association president Jim Douglas said residents were concerned large-scale developments planned for Henley Beach would ruin the area’s character.

“High rise, high density and irresponsible development are destroying something very special in this community,” he said.

“We are exploring ways to have greater input into council decisions so that the community’s vision for the future is reflected.”

The forum will be addressed by representatives from Charles Sturt Council, the National Trust and Local Government Association.

Mr Douglas said his group had collected more than 1400 signatures on a petition calling for greater control over high-rise developments in the suburb, and would present it to the council after the meeting.

Residents have complained about the height and scale of several large apartment complexes planned for Seaview Rd. They say the Baju and H20 apartment buildings, and a third planned at the corner of Seaview Rd and Main St, will cause traffic and parking problems.

WACRA has distributed flyers to about 4000 people in Henley Beach, Grange and West Beach.

Forum for Better Henley, Henley Town Hall, corner Seaview Rd and North St, Henley Beach, Sunday, May 29 from 11am-1pm.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by crawf » Fri May 27, 2011 8:25 pm

And traffic and high pedestrian volume isn't already a problem? :roll:

I recently saw a thing on SA Life on Channel 7, which showed a jammed packed Henley Beach from early last century, the amount of people was mind-boggling!. Even the current peak period doesn't even remotely compare. It really was quite interesting, considering the hoo haa over Henley Beach transforming into busy Glenelg or the Gold Coast :|

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but the developers have stated they will inject at least a million dollars towards the redevelopment of Henley Square, if they get the green light from City of Charles Sturt.

metro
Legendary Member!

#75 Post by metro » Mon May 30, 2011 2:36 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011 ... 230200.htm

this was on the news last night, apparently that 2 story development has ruined Henley Beach :lol:

and these people think 5 floors is high rise :hilarious: