News & Developments: Henley Beach & Grange

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

News & Developments: Henley Beach & Grange

#1 Post by crawf » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:51 pm

There was a article in Thursdays tiser about charles sturt council going through a bit of a boom. It mentioned about a $14m apartment complex and $17m retail/apartment complex at Henley Beach - anyone got any details of these two projects?

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Projects: Henley Beach/Grange

#2 Post by Omicron » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:00 am

I should hope so. The investment dollars that have been poured into Glenelg show how nice an area can look when development spurs on basic infrastructure works like guttering, road-resurfacing, paving, planting and general aesthetic attentions.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#3 Post by Edgar » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:34 pm

Henley Beach and Grange both have always been understated, but they are really a better place to relax than Glenelg.
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:00 pm

Edgar wrote:Henley Beach and Grange both have always been understated, but they are really a better place to relax than Glenelg.
my favourite is Semaphore. great architecture through the suburb and on the beachfront, and a really cool little main street that still has the old tram lane in place (used for parking now)
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

urban
Legendary Member!

#5 Post by urban » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:00 pm

Grange Square and the adjacent foreshore areas have been redesigned. This work will hopefully be complete for next summer. Designs are currently being prepared for the next street back which I imagine council hope to complete by the summer after.

Xaragmata

#6 Post by Xaragmata » Sat May 24, 2008 9:29 pm

crawf wrote:There was a article in Thursdays tiser about charles sturt council going through a bit of a boom. It mentioned about a $14m apartment complex and $17m retail/apartment complex at Henley Beach - anyone got any details of these two projects?
The Henley Beach project for 354-356 Seaview Rd (cleared block north of existing shops on cnr of Main Street) was rejected due to height
& scale & possible visual impact on Ramsgate Hotel.

( Story & impression in Messenger - http://www.messengernews.com.au/article ... _news.html )
* A REJECTED plan to build a four-storey apartment and retail complex at Henley Square is headed for court.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by crawf » Mon May 26, 2008 10:42 am

Thats a shame that its been knocked back, I wouldn't mind seeing a few 4-6 level buildings at Henley Beach & Grange. Though what makes this knock back ridiculous is that theres already 4 level apartment blocks at Henley.

I was actually at Henley Square yesterday, and there was quite a buzz. Quite alot of people in the precinct and the weather was pretty good yesterday.

rhino

#8 Post by rhino » Mon May 26, 2008 11:08 am

Henley Beach is my old stomping ground, I grew up there. It's a fantastic place that so far has managed to modernise and still keep it's old village charm. I hope it doesn't lose that.
cheers,
Rhino

urban
Legendary Member!

#9 Post by urban » Mon May 26, 2008 2:55 pm

The area around Grange Jetty is getting a makeover. The masterplan can be seen here: http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/Defau ... ?tabid=795

The first stage should be getting underway soon to finish it before summer 08/09

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#10 Post by Wayno » Mon May 26, 2008 4:22 pm

urban wrote:The area around Grange Jetty is getting a makeover. The masterplan can be seen here: http://www.charlessturt.sa.gov.au/Defau ... ?tabid=795

The first stage should be getting underway soon to finish it before summer 08/09
wow! looks great. Lots more trees and open areas for people to congregate.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Xaragmata

#11 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:11 pm

This week's Weekly Times Messenger (January 7) reports that the Environmental Resources and Development Court
has ruled that this development can go ahead. "Baju Henley Square", with 47 apartments, supermarket and specialty
shops. (electronic edition not yet online)
Xaragmata wrote:
crawf wrote:There was a article in Thursdays tiser about charles sturt council going through a bit of a boom. It mentioned about a $14m apartment complex and $17m retail/apartment complex at Henley Beach - anyone got any details of these two projects?
The Henley Beach project for 354-356 Seaview Rd (cleared block north of existing shops on cnr of Main Street) was rejected due to height
& scale & possible visual impact on Ramsgate Hotel.

( Story & impression in Messenger - http://www.messengernews.com.au/article ... _news.html )
* A REJECTED plan to build a four-storey apartment and retail complex at Henley Square is headed for court.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#12 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:52 am

Yep, there is now a large banner running along the fence showing a render and that its already 85% sold (Don't quote me on that though).

I'll try and get to the square today :)

Bout time this got the go ahead, such a eyesore.

Xaragmata

#13 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:39 pm

crawf wrote:Yep, there is now a large banner running along the fence showing a render and that its already 85% sold (Don't quote me on that though).

I'll try and get to the square today :)

Bout time this got the go ahead, such a eyesore.
I'll wait til the Greek blessing of waters ceremony on Sunday. Not much has changed on the site since last year, apart
from the signage.

Article is online now:

http://messenger-news.whereilive.com.au ... een-light/
Four storey at Henley given green light

A CONTROVERSIAL four-storey development near Henley Square has been given the green light.

The Environment, Resources and Development Court last month ruled the four-storey retail and residential complex, at 354-356 Seaview Rd, could proceed.

The ruling reversed an April 2008 decision by Charles Sturt Council to block the development, which the council said was too big for the area.

Marketed as ``Baju Henley Square’’, it will include 47 apartments, a supermarket and specialty shops. Signage at the site this week said 85 percent of the development had been sold and building work would start ``early’’ this year.

The developer behind the project, Bayspring Pty Ltd, could not be contacted this week.
[...]

fast_forward
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#14 Post by fast_forward » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:47 pm

rhino

#15 Post by rhino » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:09 am

Being an old Henley boy, I can't say I find this development appealing at all. It seems waaaay out of character with the place. :(
cheers,
Rhino