CAN: [Glenelg] Latitude | 42m | 12lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#16 Post by Will » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:23 pm

Al wrote:Any news on what's happening with the Twin Towers here? Is that dead too?
Urban Construct never lodged a development application with the Holdfast Bay council, so as far as the development is concerned it is still only a proposal. However like Adam stated, I doubt this proposal will ever become reality, with the council opposed to anything over 3 stories.

Does anyone have an image of this as well as Latitude they could post on the forum?

Done
Gold-Member ;)

#17 Post by Done » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:15 pm

From urbanconstruct.com.au:
Twins...
Latitude...

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#18 Post by Will » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:42 pm

Thanks for posting the images Done! 8)

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by JAKJ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:49 pm

Ok..... how many geriatric glenelg residents do we have to knock off to get the twins built? :twisted:

...but seriously, I hope those go through... they will really improve the street level atmosphere...

skyliner
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#20 Post by skyliner » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:55 pm

Adelaide is changing!

I went to holdfast shores 2 years ago and found it a great atmosphere. with something different to offer. Someone with me said, 'this is not what Adelaide needs or is like'. I differed on the strength of the above info.

I believe the metro region needs an area that caters for the type of people attracted to such areas as Glenelg - in the east these people are everywhere - they want sea change, coffee culture, access to everything in short range, a cosmopolitan ambience, apartment living, night life etc. Many are from overseasabnd/or are yuppies. Tourism will eventually be a factor in the change. Glenelg is the only suburb place fot it - the council needs to realise this opportunity and begin adaptations now whilst not ignoring ciurrent residents - an unenviable job.

Lets hope wise progress to accommodate the changes take place.

.::G!oRgOs::.
Gold-Member ;)

#21 Post by .::G!oRgOs::. » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:42 pm

So is there now no hope for the twins?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#22 Post by Will » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:18 pm

.::G!oRgOs::. wrote:So is there now no hope for the twins?
The Glenelg apartment market is saturated at the moment, but the project may be resucitated in around 5 years.

shuza
High Rise Poster!

#23 Post by shuza » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:55 am

Saturated? Its virtually drained out.

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#24 Post by Pants » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:48 am

Latitude's back on the agenda along with a half-decent redesign:

GLENELG foreshore will gain its last residential tower under Urban Construct's latest proposal.

The Adelaide-based developer, which built several towers along Colley Tce including the controversial Liberty Towers, plans to build a 160-apartment "green" residential tower on the last patch of foreshore allowing tall developments.

"Latitude" will take advantage of the 12-storey limit for the site, on the corner of St John's Row and College St.

The project plans to harvest rainwater and stormwater for internal use, use solar and wind power for public lighting and will use energy-limiters to limit demand during peak periods.

Chief executive Todd Brown said the project would try to get a five-star rating under the Green Building Council's new residential scheme, to be released this year.

"Each of the initiatives we have included in Latitude at Glenelg are aimed at providing buyers with the opportunity to incorporate renewable energy sources into their lives and deliver SA's first truly green and sustainable residential development for the Glenelg foreshore," Mr Brown said.

Residents are cautious about the impact of another foreshore development. Glenelg Residents Association president Jack Messenger said the area was already inundated with large developments.

"We feel central Glenelg has absolutely done its bit for urban infill . . . It has made it a very unpleasant place to live," he said.

"I even think Surfers' Paradise is better.

"When you look at the landscaping and setbacks (at Surfers' Paradise), it looks like another house – you don't see it going up 20 storeys. But in Glenelg they put them on the footpath."

Mr Messenger said council was responsible for preventing the excess of development but Holdfast Bay Council had been a "soft touch" for developers.

Holdfast Bay Council is assessing Urban Construct's plans for their compliance with planning regulations.

As for Jack Messenger, I wonder if he's ever been to Surfer's... "you don't see it going up 20 storeys":

1. You're talking about a 12 storey development.
2. Q1's pretty hard to miss at 78 storeys and 323m you tool.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:07 am

good to see some more high rise development down at the bay.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:21 am

Looks not bad, Mr Messanger (lol what a name) sounds like a typical anti-progress Adelaidian.

The Holdfast shore development has improved Glenelg dramatically and has become a very popular place to live and play.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by AtD » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 am

Cheers for the scoop. Stupid me didn't bother migrating Latitude from the old building list to the new one. I'll add it tonight.

Interesting looking design. Pitty it doesn't address the street very well - ground floor car park? Bleh! Would Holdfast Bay allow the developer to have retail tennancies?

Edgar
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Edgar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:26 am

So the 'Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)' will now be 'Latitude (12lvl)' instead, according to the new proposal?
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#29 Post by AG » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:52 am

I am with AtD on this one, the design is decent except for the way it links up with the street, some ground floor retail would do it some justice rather than just a few tree covered entrances.

Some people have some really distorted perspectives of how high buildings in Glenelg reach in comparison to those on the Gold Coast. Many people seem to imagine that buildings in Glenelg are reaching those "dizzying" heights that the ones on the Gold Coast reach when many of them aren't even 25% as high.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#30 Post by Mants » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:13 am

crawf wrote:The Holdfast shore development has improved Glenelg dramatically and has become a very popular place to live and play.
well, no it hasnt really.
all the sand movement and dredging, caused by holdfast shores marina, has made glenelg beach a continuous work site. quite an "improvement" ey?