CAN: [Glenelg] Latitude | 42m | 12lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Proposal: Twin Towers (2x17lvl) and Latitude (10lvl)

#76 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:19 pm

AG wrote:...with the building of apartments around the place the infrastructure and services required to support a significant increase in the population should be in place before such a significant change takes place otherwise the areas would be plagued with new issues, notably increased traffic, and the game of catch up that we see all too often with infrastructure will occur...
It's a little bit chicken and egg though isn't it? We need one or the other as a catalyst for change. It would be great if it could all be planned and happen along those lines, but living in a liberal capitalist economy means that changes in the paradigm often need to be artificially forced.

I'd start by designating public transport corridors with mandated medium density along them. Good efficient PT as a carrot to change with the stick of zoning to follow.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#77 Post by Will » Tue May 20, 2008 7:26 pm

I have some good news to report.

This proposal will soon be coming before the state government DAC. It is expected that the state government DAC will grant planning APPROVAL to this proposal.

It is good to see that the state government DAC is not being swayed by the ridiculous anti-development propaganda of the Holdfast Bay council and is assessing this proposal against the development plan. The building is not at odds, and in fact complies with the development plan, thus it should receive planning approval. Nostalgia is not a reason to block a complying development!

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#78 Post by rogue » Tue May 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Which proposal exactly will potentially be granted approval?

The thread title is somewhat deceiving. Twin Towers is on the Watermark site and Latitude is near The "grab-a-granny" Grand.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#79 Post by Will » Tue May 20, 2008 7:32 pm

rogue wrote:Which proposal exactly will potentially be granted approval?

The thread title is somewhat deceiving. Twin Towers is on the Watermark site and Latitude is near The "grab-a-granny" Grand.
Latitude.

Watermark has been placed on hold for the foreseeable future.

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#80 Post by Ho Really » Wed May 21, 2008 1:02 am

Will wrote:
rogue wrote:Which proposal exactly will potentially be granted approval?

Latitude.

Watermark has been placed on hold for the foreseeable future.
Aaarrgh, it should have been the other way around.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

gregrogers257
Gold-Member ;)

#81 Post by gregrogers257 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:08 pm

Good news about the approval. My question is if latitude does get approved will there
be enough demand from the public for these apartments ?

I doubt it.

jimmy_2486
Legendary Member!

#82 Post by jimmy_2486 » Thu May 22, 2008 9:55 am

Pistol wrote:
Ben wrote:
I don't know what is scarier, these residents controlling our future or the fact that some of them are still driving.
That, and the photo, both just reminded me of the south park episode where they wanted to take the licenses away of all the senior citizens!! hahaha

Pretty soon you will see that group of elderly walking around Glenelg with military weapons, making sure no more developments happen, like on South Park!!

But we wont be able to stop them.......they just wake up far to early for us to do anything!!

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#83 Post by AG » Sat May 24, 2008 9:15 am

The DAC has approved this development and it will now proceed.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#84 Post by AtD » Sat May 24, 2008 9:48 am

Cool.

Cue the NIMBYs in the local Messenger.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#85 Post by Norman » Sat May 24, 2008 1:23 pm

Hail the Vengabus, we're going to Ibiza! Woo!

Great to see more developments in Glenelg, hopefully it'll become much more dense and warrant more tram services.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#86 Post by Shuz » Sat May 24, 2008 1:38 pm

I'm happy this got approved, but I do need ask - what do they mean when they are building on the last piece of hi-rise land available in Glenelg? Such a statement would negate the possibility of the Watermark site towers being built?

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#87 Post by Will » Sat May 24, 2008 2:10 pm

Shuz wrote:I'm happy this got approved, but I do need ask - what do they mean when they are building on the last piece of hi-rise land available in Glenelg? Such a statement would negate the possibility of the Watermark site towers being built?
Its actually the last piece of 'waterfront' land available for high-rise. High rise can still be built in other parts of Glenelg.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#88 Post by AtD » Sat May 24, 2008 2:58 pm

Will wrote:Its actually the last piece of 'waterfront' land available for high-rise. High rise can still be built in other parts of Glenelg.

I didn't think Latitude was on the waterfront. I have it down as 5 College Street, Glenelg.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#89 Post by Will » Sat May 24, 2008 3:10 pm

AtD wrote:
Will wrote:Its actually the last piece of 'waterfront' land available for high-rise. High rise can still be built in other parts of Glenelg.

I didn't think Latitude was on the waterfront. I have it down as 5 College Street, Glenelg.
That is why I put the word waterfront between quotation marks. I understand it is not on the waterfront but for some reason unknown to me, the land is classified as waterfront by the local council.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#90 Post by Howie » Sun May 25, 2008 12:44 am

Saturday Advertiser 25/05/2008
Last tall tower for foreshore

The $110 million Latitude residential tower project at Glenelg has been given the green light by the Development Assessment Commission.

Construction of the last tower along Glenelg's foreshore will begin later this year after the commission approved the 12-storey proposal yesterday.

The 170 apartment tower, on the corner of St John's Row and College St, will be built on the last path of foreshore allowing tall developments. The "green" building will feature energy efficient design.
Time for a thread split soon I think :D