CAN: [Glenelg] Latitude | 42m | 12lvls | Residential

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Approved: Latitude (12lvl - 42m)

#151 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 pm

The article is here ...

http://guardian-messenger.whereilive.co ... rs-beware/

* Developers beware
* THE developer of a proposed $110 million apartment block at Glenelg will not be allowed to encroach on
* nearby public land during the two-year construction period. [...]

If they are going to be consistent, then no site can encroach on council land in future.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#152 Post by AtD » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:26 pm

Lets hope Cr Mikki Bouchee is successful in her objective to disband Holdfast Bay Council.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#153 Post by crawf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 pm

The controversial 12-storey project was given provisional development plan consent in May despite a four-year battle in opposition by Bay residents and local business owners.
I thought local traders would be in support of increased trade due to more people living in the bay, silly me
Manson Towers retirement village resident Kathleen Job said the apartment block would stand 1.53m from the western wall of the units, resulting in loss of privacy, sea breezes and afternoon sun.

“It’s an obnoxious project,” the 86-year-old told the Guardian Messenger.
I'm sorry but will you even be alive when this is completed

how_good_is_he
High Rise Poster!

#154 Post by how_good_is_he » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:52 am

If she describes Latitude as obnoxious, what would her description be of Manson Towers!

PS Its going to be very hard to work within these stipulations, maybe Baulderstone should just leave the crane parked in the middle of the road. I mean how do council expect this thing is going to get built, from a zeppelin airship parachuting material down?

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by Joely » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 am

Yet another reason why these little small-minded councils need to be abolished. Bring on the super councils.

And how damn selfish of that 86 year old woman. She's allowed to have her glenelg apartment (albeit in a senior citizen's home) and she's trying to disallow anyone else from owning one in the area. Plus, not being rude, but how much longer does she expect to live?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#156 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:59 am

Will wrote:There is some good news regarding this development featured in the Guardian Messenger.

Baulderstone Hornibrook has been selected as the builder and construction is expected to begin in January of next year.

However when dealing with the moribund Holdfast Bay Council there are always dark clouds. Although this development has received planning approval the Holdfast Bay Council has still not accepted defeat and judging by a decision voted on by its councillors the council will do all it can to sabotage and derail this development. Baulderstone Hornibrook had applied to the council to use a section of the roadway in St. John's Row and College Street to erect hoarding with incorporated gantries during the period of construction. Baulderstone Hornibrook had also applied to use a small part of the Elizabeth Street carpark to erect a crane. However in a decision titled 'DEVELOPERS BEWARE', the council voted to reject these applications and force Baulderstone Hornibrook to erect all hoarding, gantires and the crane within the site boundary; despite the fact that the Latitude building occupies the entire site! Mayor Ken Roolond is quoted as saying that such a decision will set a precedent for future development proposals.

The article also features the expert opinion of 86 year old Manson Towers resident Kathleen Job who describes the Latitude building as "an obnoxious project".

I am outraged by the council's decision. It is sending a message that Glenelg is closed for business and does not want new investment and people. But furthermore such a decision will increase costs and potentially put workers lives at risk.

I think all progress loving people have had enough with the extreme consevatism of the Holdfast Bay Council. I call upon the state government to remove planning powers from the Holdfast Bay Council because it cannot be trusted to protect jobs and investment!
Will, you should copy/paste the above and send it in a letter the HBC. It will let them know a cross section of the community are aware of their stupidity and arrogance...i'll leave to you as to whether yo uuse S-A letterhead or not...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by Joely » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:28 pm

I 2nd Wayno. It's a great idea. I never even thought about the fact that the council is actually potentionally putting workers lives at risk. They are by not letting them close and street and forcing them to use more confined spaces. All because it might upset a few old people. I can't even picture how they could possibly do it without having that access.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#158 Post by rev » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:00 pm

It is ridiculous and beyond stupidity that the council has voted to prevent the builders from erecting the proper site fencing and equipment as they normally would.
Isn't there a set of safety guidelines for construction sites? Surely there must be something which dictates how a construction site is laid out?
If so, the council should be sued by the company, sued by the workers whose lives and well being will be at risk, and sued by the wives and children who could potentially be left without a bread winner.
That should set a nice "precedent" that will be burnt into the memory of the council for a good while.

I doubt super councils will solve these issues.
The same bunch of clowns from each former council will still be going for the same seats in council.
Can you imagine merging Holdfast bay with the likes of ACC? :shock:

nancy
Banned
Banned

#159 Post by nancy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:15 pm

crawf wrote:
The controversial 12-storey project was given provisional development plan consent in May despite a four-year battle in opposition by Bay residents and local business owners.
I thought local traders would be in support of increased trade due to more people living in the bay, silly me
Manson Towers retirement village resident Kathleen Job said the apartment block would stand 1.53m from the western wall of the units, resulting in loss of privacy, sea breezes and afternoon sun.

Don't make fun of older people like that...

Anyway sales still need to be achieved for this project to go ahead.. and there's very little demand
for units at glenelg.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#160 Post by AtD » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:42 pm

If there were no demand, they wouldn't be pushing so hard. Very few speculative buildings get built in SA, most require siginificant pre-commitment before works commence.

Snorkie
High Rise Poster!

#161 Post by Snorkie » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:46 pm

nancy wrote:
crawf wrote:

Don't make fun of older people like that...

Anyway sales still need to be achieved for this project to go ahead.. and there's very little demand
for units at glenelg.
Well I just received a flyer today to register interest for this building, so cleary your 'expert' opinion is out the window. There is a nice new render on it as well, except I dont know how to get it on here, and I checked Urban Constructs website, and it doesn't appear to be on there either.
So despite the slight setback by Holdfast Bay council's pathetic additude, it looks like they are still pushing full steam ahead with this one.

nancy
Banned
Banned

#162 Post by nancy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:34 pm

In another thread under CBD development some guys asked me to backup my statement that there's no
demand for apartments down at glenelg.

My backup is this website :

http://www.adelphi-waters.com.au/

This project has been on the cards for a long time and they've been trying to sell the apartments
for at least three years !

If you click on the floor plans option from the menu on the right hand side you will see
that only three of the 23 apartments available have been sold !!!!

Stick that up your clacker !!

Thank you very much.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#163 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:45 pm

Stick that up your Clacker?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#164 Post by Wayno » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:45 pm

crawf wrote:Stick that up your Clacker?
i had a clacker once, but the wheel fell off so i threw it away.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ynotsfables
High Rise Poster!

#165 Post by ynotsfables » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:01 pm

Hey nancy make that 4 i might buy one myself as an investment looks pretty impressive.