News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Bowden Village TOD (Clipsal site)

#61 Post by Shuz » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:46 am

Personally, I think they should try and keep the office buildings in the city. To have 16 level office towers will take a lot of demand away from the CBD, where its particularly needed.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#62 Post by joshzxzx » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:20 am

Shuz wrote:Personally, I think they should try and keep the office buildings in the city. To have 16 level office towers will take a lot of demand away from the CBD, where its particularly needed.
I agree... This should be designed to complement the city.. Not become one in its own right..
South Australia the Festival State

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#63 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:57 pm

Shuz wrote:Personally, I think they should try and keep the office buildings in the city. To have 16 level office towers will take a lot of demand away from the CBD, where its particularly needed.
TODs will take business from the CBD - fact of life. They will also dampen the need for super-tall CBD buildings. However, having 10s of thousands of people living in TODs adjacent to rapid CBD-bound transport will partially balance that situation.

TODs must be a mix of biz and residential. They will fail ohterwise. I mean that's the point - right? increase percentage of population able to live, work, and play near home. I actually believe we'll see another side-effect: the plethora of small business offices in nearby suburbs slowly moving towards the TODs (attracted by higher density of potential customers). Those that don't move towards the TODs will lose market share.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#64 Post by Queen Anne » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:44 pm

After seeing the Pearl District in Portland a couple of weeks ago (a TOD in Portland maybe a little closer to the CBD than, say, Mile End is in Adelaide), I'm quite excited by what the article says because what they describe for Bowden Village reminds me of what I saw in the Pearl District. The Pearl District was pretty awesome - we'll post our pictures of it soon in the Beyond SA forum :) If Bowden Village ends up like that it will be a happy day for us in Adelaide, imo.

edit: just thought I'd add that the Pearl District is expensive and that's a bit of a downside - it did have a slightly precious atmosphere and a real 'village' should be a place for all income levels to live, wouldn't you say?

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#65 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Queen Anne wrote:edit: just thought I'd add that the Pearl District is expensive and that's a bit of a downside - it did have a slightly precious atmosphere and a real 'village' should be a place for all income levels to live, wouldn't you say?
This is a tricky one. I suspect people who live in TODs will (in part) choose to live there for ease of CBD-bound tram/train transport. So i suspect TODs will mainly attract YUPPIES and DINKS (couples where one has a higher paying CBD career, and the other also has a career or works a local job within the TOD suburb). Presumably this put them in the higher income bracket.

Also, I would not expect TODs to attract DICKHEADS (double income, coupla kids, hired extras assisting domestically). I think these larger professional families will desire larger housing within walking distance of a TOD, which in turn will push the lower income individuals further and further away.

EDIT: I coined the DICKHEADS phrase about 15years ago - anyone else heard of it? :lol:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#66 Post by Hooligan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:23 pm

So someone wanting to starting a family is a dickhead?

good lord

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#67 Post by Wayno » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:47 pm

Hooligan wrote:So someone wanting to starting a family is a dickhead?

good lord
Moreso relates to both parents being focused on their careers and using hired help to raise the kids - i have some friends like that. It's a bit sad in my opinion.

off topic - sorry.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#68 Post by fishinajar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:04 am

Wayno wrote:DICKHEADS (double income, coupla kids, hired extras assisting domestically)
Love it, have not heard it before.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

#69 Post by fishinajar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:11 am

I think the consortium is money grabbing on this one just a bit. I see a missed opportunity for more housing in such close proximity to the CBD. The idea of large dedicated office buildings would make more sense on a TOD site that is a bit further afield, IMO.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#70 Post by rhino » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 am

[quote="Wayno"]
Moreso relates to both parents being focused on their careers and using hired help to raise the kids - i have some friends like that. It's a bit sad in my opinion.
quote]

Not quite. I fall into that category, but the domestic help comes in when no-one's home and cleans the house so that we have more quality time with the kids. Also, while I enjoy my job, it would be a very big stretch to say I'm focused on my career! Still fit the double-income-coupla-kids-hired-help thingy though. Unfortunate about the acronym!
cheers,
Rhino

Xaragmata

#71 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:56 pm

Bowden Urban Village has its own pages at LMC - http://www.lmc.sa.gov.au/bowdenvillage

Bowden Village Community Newsletter August 2009 - PDF 1MB
http://www.lmc.sa.gov.au/bowdenvillage/ ... px?did=516

Community Open Day
Saturday 12 September 2009

City of Charles Sturt offices, 72 Woodville Road, Woodville

Drop in anytime between 12 noon and 5pm to see and comment on:
–– The final draft Area Plan.
–– The revised Vision for Bowden Village.
–– Options that led to the preferred Bowden Village site plan.
You will be able to talk with members of the HASSELL/Parsons
Brinckerhoff Bowden Village Masterplan team, as well as staff from
the Land Management Corporation.

To assist us in planning for the Open Day, we would appreciate it if you could
register your interest by visiting http://www.lmc.sa.gov.au/bowdenvillage, emailing
[email protected] or contacting 1800 993 439 (office hours).
We look forward to your involvement – your views are vital to shaping the
future direction of Bowden Village and the surrounding area.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#72 Post by Ben » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:44 am

Lots more Tram Extensions.

From Adelaidenow:
Bowden development plan out

SARAH MARTIN

September 15, 2009

PLANS for the much-anticipated Bowden Village development have been released to the public for the first time.

The preferred site plan for Bowden was developed during a three-day intensive workshop held at the site last month by the Parsons Brinkerhoff and Hassell masterplan consortium.

The plan covers the development of the 20ha Bowden Urban Village site, incorporating the former Clipsal site as well as the adjoining Origin site on Chief St. It also takes in properties along Port Rd, including the Raptis property on the corner of Port Rd and Park Terrace.

Key features of the plan include:

- A pedestrian land bridge over Park Terrace connecting the site to the parklands.

- Tram extension from Port Rd into the site and joining the existing rail corridor via Gibson St (or via Drayton St), and an extra tram stop near Chief St.

- A new Main St mixed-use area along the new tramline connecting the town square to a market square community and retail hub adjacent to Chief St.

- A new town square at the location of the existing Bowden railway station and a ``village walk'' connecting to a new village green adjacent to Sixth St.

- A community garden and linear open space link from Chief St south to the Adelaide Parklands.

- Local squares centrally located in each quadrant of the site.

- A smaller diagonal village lane connecting the town square with the existing Clipsal buildings.

- A gas co-generation plant to minimise power use at the site.

Masterplan co-ordinator and Hassell strategic adviser for urban development Bruce Rippin said he was pleased with the plan's progression.

"I like the way we have got a town square/piazza proposed around the old Bowden railway station (and) a boulevard through to the new open-space reserve is a really nice focus.

"We can see it working as a typical town square meeting area with some cafes and restaurants around the square,'' he said.

Mr Rippin said he was also hopeful the Government would adopt the land bridge to the parklands.

"I think the connection of the site to the parklands is very important (but) it is another piece of expensive infrastructure which will ultimately depend on whether the government is happy to do it,'' he said.

The consortium has also proposed removing the existing train lines all the way to a new Chief St station.

"We would like to see the present barrier the rail line creates between the east and west of the site broken down,'' he said.

The workshop summary says the biggest challenge for implementing the plan will be its commercial viability and, particularly, for the sustainable features of the development.
Land Management Corporation CEO Wayne Gibbings said about 100 people had attended the open day on Saturday to view the plans.

"Community response to the Bowden Urban Village Open Day was overwhelmingly positive,'' he said.

rhino

#73 Post by rhino » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:01 pm

In general, this sounds really good.

Bowden development plan out
The consortium has also proposed removing the existing train lines all the way to a new Chief St station.
"We would like to see the present barrier the rail line creates between the east and west of the site broken down,'' he said.
Does this mean that there won't be any heavy rail to Outer Harbor? Do they intend the tram to go all the way out there?
cheers,
Rhino

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#74 Post by Shuz » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:45 pm

No, I believe they intend to retain heavy rail, and opt for the underground tunnel which has been previously mooted.

citybangbang
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#75 Post by citybangbang » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:27 pm

I think the underground idea is no longer an option.
The tramlines are likely to extend through the Bowden site and then merge with the existing train lines, but this is dependent on teh government buying "dual system" trains that can run on tram and train tracks. Eventually I think they intend to have light rail all the way to Outer Harbour.
This is my understanding, but i think it is all still a bit up in the air.