News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
how good is he
Legendary Member!

Re: Bowden TOD | Developments & News

#301 Post by how good is he » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:31 pm

As a potential apartment buyer I would like to see some developments in Bowden with some 'resort-style' facilities. I don't think any of the apt buildings have ever included things like an on-site gym, swimming pool, spa/steam room, cinema room, roof top bbq/gardens etc which seem the norm now in the new apartment developments across Oz. Admitedly some Bowden developments are too small to be feasible and I know it would go against the general environmentally conscious mantra of Bowden as well as increased strata/running costs BUT for buyers comparing against say Vue, Kodo etc let alone interstate apartments, Bowdens developments are lacking many of the extras...yet the purchase price is comparable to those with all the amenities.

Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#302 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:49 pm

how good is he wrote:As a potential apartment buyer I would like to see some developments in Bowden with some 'resort-style' facilities. I don't think any of the apt buildings have ever included things like an on-site gym, swimming pool, spa/steam room, cinema room, roof top bbq/gardens etc which seem the norm now in the new apartment developments across Oz. Admitedly some Bowden developments are too small to be feasible and I know it would go against the general environmentally conscious mantra of Bowden as well as increased strata/running costs BUT for buyers comparing against say Vue, Kodo etc let alone interstate apartments, Bowdens developments are lacking many of the extras...yet the purchase price is comparable to those with all the amenities.
Probably the wrong market at the start I'd say.

Nathan

#303 Post by Nathan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:49 pm

how good is he wrote:As a potential apartment buyer I would like to see some developments in Bowden with some 'resort-style' facilities. I don't think any of the apt buildings have ever included things like an on-site gym, swimming pool, spa/steam room, cinema room, roof top bbq/gardens etc which seem the norm now in the new apartment developments across Oz. Admitedly some Bowden developments are too small to be feasible and I know it would go against the general environmentally conscious mantra of Bowden as well as increased strata/running costs BUT for buyers comparing against say Vue, Kodo etc let alone interstate apartments, Bowdens developments are lacking many of the extras...yet the purchase price is comparable to those with all the amenities.
Are those things suited to be within an apartment building, or would it be better to provide those facilities separately to service the entire neighbourhood? I'd personally prefer the latter. (That said, some of the larger developments within Bowden will/do have private courtyards — such as the one in the centre of the block, between the two Luminaire buildings.)

Waewick

#304 Post by Waewick » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:54 pm

Nathan wrote:
Are those things suited to be within an apartment building, or would it be better to provide those facilities separately to service the entire neighbourhood? I'd personally prefer the latter. (That said, some of the larger developments within Bowden will/do have private courtyards — such as the one in the centre of the block, between the two Luminaire buildings.)
it is all about the $$$

if you put it in for the community the council will have to pay, put it in an apartment and the strata pays.

I can guarantee the Council won't want to pay.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#305 Post by how good is he » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Yes I agree Nathan if they had those fac's in the neighbourhood but they don't.. Not sure Waewick why you think Bowden is different or its buyers are in a "wrong market" compared to other apartment developments?
Waerwick you can have private operators [not council] run a gym/pool/spa/cinemas etc

Llessur2002

#306 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:29 pm

I always saw the Bowden development as a bit of a young families and first-time buyer's thing. And being a TOD, prospective buyers are likely to be people who are quite happy to jump on a tram or train to get into the City to use its amenities.

In which case I would have thought buyers would be happy to have prices kept lower by not making the apartments too far towards the luxury end of the market, in the knowledge that they would have many gyms/spas etc in easy reach on public transport.

Nathan

#307 Post by Nathan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:I always saw the Bowden development as a bit of a young families and first-time buyer's thing. And being a TOD, prospective buyers are likely to be people who are quite happy to jump on a tram or train to get into the City to use its amenities.

In which case I would have thought buyers would be happy to have prices kept lower by not making the apartments too far towards the luxury end of the market, in the knowledge that they would have many gyms/spas etc in easy reach on public transport.
This. Remembering there's a significant percentage of apartments in the Nexus and the upcoming B Apartments which are "affordable" and key-worker housing. I imagine as we get to the densest part of the precinct we may start to see some top-end apartments on the upper floors, but I think the bulk will remain in the 350-550k zone. I believe the Scott Salisbury / Signature townhouses were originally pitched higher, but had to be redesigned when they weren't getting much traction compared to the other townhouses in the first stage.

ghs

#308 Post by ghs » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:40 pm

New one for Bowden :

http://www.thehindmarsh.com.au

Interesting that on the website they've put Bowden in the Eastern suburbs :
Attachments
hindm1.jpg
hindm1.jpg (137.41 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
hindmarsh.jpg
hindmarsh.jpg (81.96 KiB) Viewed 4790 times

Nathan

#309 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:54 pm

ghs wrote:New one for Bowden :

This one isn't within the Bowden development, but going by the views it looks to be just outside of it - just on the other side of the rail line (hence, "Hindmarsh") and the other side of Chief St.
Here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/2B ... a6a2105d71

From that point, then the marker for Bowden Village is right (although they should probably extend the line further down into the trees). You can see part of the gas works site on the very left of that image, which is most western corner of the Bowden development area. (The view is looking ESE towards the city)

Llessur2002

#310 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:38 am

Some exciting stuff starting to happen in Bowden...
Bowden hub seeks to build lifestyle around food

With the opening of Plant 4 just weeks away, the Ceres Market Shed Group aims to offer a more adventurous approach to food shopping in the redeveloped warehouse space at Bowden.

“We allow for a somewhat different alternative for shopping and eating good food and wine,” says Jono Kaitatzis, who helps manage his family business which now includes Plant 4.

The Ceres Market Shed Group introduced an organic weekend market to run alongside its traditional IGA supermarket in November 2013. At that time, it was a unique combination because of perceived conflict of interest, but Kaitatzis says the success of The Market Shed on Holland has proved that offering diversity helps to create a community around food.

Now the group plans to take that concept one step further, purpose-building a community food hub in Renewal SA’s Bowden precinct.

“The vision we have for Plant 4 is to create a sense of place for our immediate local community and encourage our local neighbours from the city and suburbs to come and join us, from all over Adelaide if people feel inspired by our concept,” explains Kaitatzis.

The Ceres Market Shed Group’s development plans to activate the 1900sqm warehouse space on Third Street with food and shopping, including a seven-day IGA store, gourmet specialty markets opening two days a week, as well as cafes, restaurants, bars and other small tenancies which will trade most days.

“Even though the Market Shed on Holland and Plant 4 will have some close alliances,” says Kaitatzis, “there will be an added dimension in Plant 4.”

In Plant 4 the group hopes to create a community centre that will encourage interaction and collaboration between local residents and workers.

“There will be co-working, hot-desking stations, a bottle shop/eatery, installations and activities daily.

“We can host long-table dinners, local functions and events, and interesting and individualised night-time dining experiences.”

As well as the ground floor space, the development will include a mezzanine level with views of the Bowden Town Square. It will also be able accommodate larger outdoor events.

“Plant 4 is an innovative style of development,” says Kaitatzis. “To create a space within a used, industrial building with a five-star green rating opens up many challenges, but Renewal SA has chosen a great team to meet these standards and we feel a strong responsibility to work with our natural environment and flourish amongst it.

“Plant 4 will retain most of the original style of its days as a bustling, industrial workplace but some great new features to enhance the usability and ambience of the building and its environs.

“The whole of the space has been opened up to welcome in and embrace our community.”
http://indaily.com.au/food-and-wine/the ... ound-food/

claybro

#311 Post by claybro » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:13 pm

I was a little concerned early on that Bowden TOD would become a wasteland of boxy appartments and unit developments, some of the early stuff a bit underwhelming. But this particular developement looks amazing. Hope it is the catalyst of more to come!

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#312 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:03 am

ghs wrote:New one for Bowden :

Like when there's a crime reported in Klemzig or Payneham the media says they're in the northern suburbs?

ghs

#313 Post by ghs » Mon May 02, 2016 8:52 pm

According to the Advertiser today Park Central (12 levels) is nearly 50% sold.
This could just be the usual marketing propaganda though.

Nathan

#314 Post by Nathan » Mon May 02, 2016 9:04 pm

ghs wrote:According to the Advertiser today Park Central (12 levels) is nearly 50% sold.
I'd believe it. My sister originally had one on hold (ended up reconsidering), but there seemed to be quite a bit of interest. Really, the only apartment building in Bowden that has dragged it's feet sales wise has been B Apartments (probably because it was released alongside Bowery, which IMO is much nicer) — but even that only has a few apartments left and has begun construction.

Blimp
High Rise Poster!

#315 Post by Blimp » Mon May 02, 2016 9:16 pm

ghs wrote:According to the Advertiser today Park Central (12 levels) is nearly 50% sold.
At that height, does it deserve its own thread?