News & Developments: Bowden TOD

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Clipsal Site up for sale

#31 Post by Norman » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:18 pm

Bring it on! It looks like this will be a fantastic program. I do like the train station!

Just build it
High Rise Poster!

#32 Post by Just build it » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:04 pm

Yeah those renders do look pretty ordinary. That could be anywhere, anytime....and this needs to be a bit special IMO. It'd be a shame not to have some buildings around 50m+ to take advantage of the skyline views (not to mention make a heap more money). Only a few months ago Foley was testing the waters with the "We shouldn't be afraid of height" comments and the general response was positive.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#33 Post by AtD » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:09 pm

AG wrote:Those look like artists impressions of urban renewal in Perth, not Adelaide. I dare say the "real" impressions of Bowden won't look like the ones that someone seems to have taken of the Perth (somewhere in the suburbs) urban renewal.
Agreed. It looks like the Tiser just yanked them off Google.

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#34 Post by Düsseldorfer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:51 pm

AtD wrote:
AG wrote:Those look like artists impressions of urban renewal in Perth, not Adelaide. I dare say the "real" impressions of Bowden won't look like the ones that someone seems to have taken of the Perth (somewhere in the suburbs) urban renewal.
Agreed. It looks like the Tiser just yanked them off Google.
Yeah i noticed those renders had a very Perthy feel to them...( I think the Transperth train/bus gave it away :P )

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#35 Post by Norman » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:50 am

Here's the Ten News clip from last night:

adam73837
High Rise Poster!
Location: The wilderness being sustained by nutrients in the air and powering my laptop with positive energy

#36 Post by adam73837 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Wayno wrote:i wonder if the Govt bought the clipsal site as a cunning precursar to seeking infrastructure project cash from the Fed Govt? certainly adds more weight to the argument for extending the tram line...
Yes, I agree, however extending it along the railway line to get to West Lakes is still bugging me...
Perhaps if they instead have a tram that goes up to the Entertainment Centre, through this new 'Green Village' and into suburbs such as Bowden, Brompton, Ridleyton, etc. by going along roads such as Chief Street, hawker Street etc. This would service those suburbs really well, perhaps by following a similar route to that of the old tram network.
I take back many of the things I said before 2010; particularly my anti-Rann rants. While I still maintain some of said opinions, I feel I could have been less arrogant. I also apologise to people I offended; while knowing I can't fully take much back. :)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#37 Post by AtD » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Thanks for that Norman. So we were right, the 'Tiser did yank those photos off Google!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:51 am

Govt paid $52m for Clipsal site

South Australian taxpayers have footed a $52 million bill for the Clipsal site at Bowden.

The State Government has revealed the figure it paid for the 10 hectares, which will be developed into apartments, shops and offices.

Last month the government bought the land but would not disclose the price tag until the deal had been settled.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#39 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:27 pm

The Independent Weekly considers this site to be a poison chalice due to the possible cost
of decontamination...

Clipsal cost a poison chalice
HENDRIK GOUT
21/11/2008 2:28:00 PM

The cost to the taxpayer of the 10-hectare Clipsal site at Bowden could total far more than the $52 million
announced by the government.

[...]

But the supposedly eco-friendly “green village” is to be built on land partially contaminated by more than a
century of industrial use.
[...]

Full story at http://www.independentweekly.com.au/new ... spx?page=1

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#40 Post by AG » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:09 am

The contaminated ground issue really isn't as big as people make it out to be. Of course there's going to be remediation required, as there has been in a large number of other urban renewal projects that have occurred before. Better remediate the land so that it can be put to effective use rather than left as a rotting wasteland. The area around Alexandria and Green Square in Sydney has been decontaminated over a period of time, and even as new developments spring up, the canal still needs to be cleaned! The renewal at Rhodes required decontamisation as well.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#41 Post by rhino » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:23 am

Some good news re design for this TOD from Adelaide Now:

World tour to get best out of Bowden
RUSSELL EMMERSON
December 18, 2008 03:30pm

THE State Government will lead local property developers on a world tour of inner-urban developments next year to set the standard for its Bowden site.
Infrastructure Minister Pat Conlon said the success of the State Government's first transport-oriented development (TOD) relied on developers being aware of world's best practice.
"What we'll be doing is working with the private sector and, unashamedly, taking a delegation of private sector developers overseas to look at world-class TODs, to make sure we get a first-class development for our investment that sets the standard for South Australia to follow in the future,'' he said.
The State Government purchased Clipsal's Bowden headquarters from Gerard Corp last month for $52.5 million. The 10ha site is to be developed into the first of 11 high-density housing areas located around a boosted city transport link.
Similar developments have already proven successful in Vancouver, Munich and Western Australia's Subiaco.
Mr Conlon said he had already been approached by at least 20 developers interested in taking part.
"Developers often believe nothing should be done for the first time so whatever standard you set for the first TOD, we want to make sure people have a chance to see the best in the world,'' he said.
"The central point is that this is a first-class site that only becomes available once in a generation - let's make the most of it.''
Property Council of Australia state director Nathan Paine said it was "critical'' to visit TODs around the world - but the Government wasn't going to pay the way.
"This is no different from any standard study tour or trade mission - you have to pay yourself to get on this trip,'' Mr Paine said.
"You can read as many articles as you like, but it is much better to speak to the developers, speak to the government organisations so you can understand what are the issues and how you deliver the project so you don't fall into the same holes.''
cheers,
Rhino

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#42 Post by mattblack » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:34 am

Might want to change the name of this thread to Bowden TOD.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#43 Post by Shuz » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Was reading up on the paper today, there was a little article on the Clipsal site. The thing that caught my eye was the mention of possibly undergrounding the OH line through the site to maximise allowable development space.

To me, I think this is a great idea. It would remove the current level crossing on the City Ring Route and allow for a new train station to be built, suiting 21st century needs - and therefore allowing the existing station to remain a heritage feature? (I'm pretty sure its like a fancy old railway station)

Will409
Legendary Member!

#44 Post by Will409 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:38 pm

The station at Bowden is one of the oldest in the country, the building being 153 years old this year.

Never the less, one major problem with undergrounding the rail line is that the hybrid tram/train connection will be made at Bowden just after the Entertainment Centre. There is an at grade level crossing which would be ideally convenient for such a connection around 400m beyond the northern end of the platform. To underground the station would require a fairly heavy gradient to do it in that space (around 1 in 20 - 1 in 30 maybe).
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by monotonehell » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:12 am

More likely they'll DisneyWorld it, and build up around and over the line. If they do this at all...
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.