News & Discussion: Metropolitian Councils

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

News & Discussion: Metropolitian Councils

#1 Post by Ben » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:12 pm

From The Messenger:

Summery:

- tramline to the airport
- encouragement of medium density housing including buildings up to 5 levels while some areas around Anzac highway will be permitted to go even higher.
Airport tramline

A TRAM connecting the airport to the city and increased housing density along main roads are part of West Torrens Council's vision for the western suburbs.

After nearly two years of planning and consultation, the council is close to finalising its Strategic Directions Report 2025, which will guide its decisions over the next 17 years.

The report recommends supporting an expanded bioscience precinct at Thebarton, upgrading the River Torrens Linear Park and building four community hubs.

Adelaide Airport Ltd (AAL) has backed the tram proposal, revealing it has included a tram line terminus in its new draft master plan, which will be released for consultation towards the end of the year.

West Torrens CEO Trevor Starr said a light rail line between the city and airport was ``most critical'' to take pressure off local roads.

``During peak hour traffic, it can take 30 minutes to get between the airport and the city,'' Mr Starr said.

``It's just gone crazy.''

While the State Government maintains that a tram service between the airport and city is not needed, Opposition spokesman Duncan McFetridge said his party would consider it.

To cope with an anticipated population target of two million by 2050, the report has identified several locations where housing density could be increased. They include parts of Anzac Hwy for high density housing.

Mr Starr said there was the potential for up to four or five storeys in medium density areas and even higher along Anzac Hwy.

West Torrens councillors are expected to discuss and endorse the Strategic Directions Report 2025 later this year.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: West Torren's Council Master Plan

#2 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Ben wrote:From The Messenger:

Summery:

- tramline to the airport
- encouragement of medium density housing including buildings up to 5 levels while some areas around Anzac highway will be permitted to go even higher.
Airport tramline

After nearly two years of planning and consultation, the council is close to finalising its Strategic Directions Report 2025, which will guide its decisions over the next 17 years.
The document is here: http://www.wtcc.sa.gov.au/webdata/resou ... review.pdf

I found it some time ago, but could never locate it again until today. Among other things, WTCC does seek to divert Holbrooks Rd to
join Marion Rd, and to increase density along Anzac Hwy.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#3 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:57 pm

Such good news! I've been wondering when the hell Marion & Holbrooks would be joined up! I hate those S-bend traffic configurations, the traffic flow will be much improved.

Speaking of improving traffic flows - pending consideration and allowance from AAL - They should extend Morphett Road to wrap around the airport boundary (like Tapleys Hill Road does) as a mini-expressway, so that traffic can flow onto from Richmond Road also, and then continue around so that it can access into the airport roundabout from the east, and onwards pass IKEA and turn north again into May Terrace (adjacent the golf course) which leads on into Findon Road.
I think this will help north-south traffic accessibility a lot more as well, alongside the Marion-Holsbrook connection.

I'm suprised at the State Goverment's response to the tramline. I would have thought, given they constructed the airport - that they would seek to maximise economic oppurtunities from it, one being the viability and success of a tramline connecting the airport to the city. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that they'll think otherwise, in an effort to match an election promise against the Liberals for the 2010 election.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4 Post by Norman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Morphett Road isn't very wide (1 lane each way), so making it a thoroughfare would not fare well.

Xaragmata

#5 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Shuz wrote:Speaking of improving traffic flows - pending consideration and allowance from AAL - They should extend Morphett Road to wrap around the airport boundary (like Tapleys Hill Road does) as a mini-expressway, so that traffic can flow onto from Richmond Road also, and then continue around so that it can access into the airport roundabout from the east, and onwards pass IKEA and turn north again into May Terrace (adjacent the golf course) which leads on into Findon Road.
The (future) link from Morphett Rd around the airport boundary, with connection to Richmond Rd is shown in Figure 5, & with South Rd
likely to be a Fed / State responsibility, WTCC can concentrate on Marion / Holbrooks & Morphett / Airport.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#6 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Why, it does too. Great minds think alike hey? :P

Oh, and it appears they want TWO tram routes, not one. One to go to the airport, and one down CityWest and then onto Richmond Road. I think these are great localities to place a tram route.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#7 Post by Norman » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:32 pm

Shuz wrote:one down CityWest and then onto Richmond Road.
I don't see a second track :?

Might be the train lines you're thinking of.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#8 Post by Shuz » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:04 pm

Figure 6 shows the light rail route for S.D.B.D, Figure 7 shows the light rail route for Richmond Road.

Xaragmata

#9 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:04 pm

Norman wrote:
Shuz wrote:one down CityWest and then onto Richmond Road.
I don't see a second track :?

Might be the train lines you're thinking of.
They cunningly hid it in Fig 7, but it's there! Would branch off the Bradman / Airport line (not shown in 7) near Bunnings, down CityWest
bypass to Richmond Rd. (might be an error, or wishful thinking, as would need grade separation at South Rd (?)

skyliner

#10 Post by skyliner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Excellent to see there is movement towards a tramline to the airport and in airport plans. Though may I say that the rail line to Bris. airport has been successfully running at a loss all the time. (note - this is heavy electric rail however.
it's support is well under what would reasonably be expected considering the frequent and very serious traffic snarls at the entrance to the airport road).

Not all that far off IMO for Adelaide - a different set of circumstances.

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Splashmo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:37 pm

I don't think passengers with luggage, and commuters, on packed trams in peak hour will be particularly successful. Surely there's got to be something else they can do - but is it really even that big an issue?

rhino

Prospect Road Transit Mall

#12 Post by rhino » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:14 pm

I heard an interview this morning with David O'Loughlan (I think that was his name) - Mayor of the City of Prospect. The Council wants to turn Prospect Road into a pedestrian mall, open to traffic (essentially a Transit Mall). They're planning to rip out the footpaths, and pave from property boundary to property boundary, then paint traffic lines on. He says King William Road Hyde Park, and Pirie St in the city, both seem to be safe for pedestrians to not need pedestrian crossings because the traffic moves at a pace which is pedestrian friendly, and that's what the council wants Prospect Road to be like. There will be al fresco cafes and planter boxes at street level, as well as indented car parking spaces. At the moment they're trying to get approval for a couple of zebra crossings, of which there seems to be a dearth in Adelaide. All the rest has apparently been approved.

What are your thoughts?
cheers,
Rhino

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Prospect Road Transit Mall

#13 Post by Wayno » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:17 pm

Sounds like a good thing to me, although regular commuters using Prospect Rd as a thoroughfare will be annoyed with lower speeds.

Another concern: Prospect Rd is looooong (runs to Grand Junction Rd) - do they mean to convert the whole length? or maybe just close to the city end? The King William Rd conversion worked coz it's not too long and terminates in suburbia of reasonably high density.

Good on the Prospect Council for taking the initiative. Is there anyway they can get higher-density living into the arrangement?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#14 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:08 pm

There are plans to put a tram along Prospect Road in the future, why bother with this now?

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#15 Post by AtD » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Wayno wrote:Sounds like a good thing to me, although regular commuters using Prospect Rd as a thoroughfare will be annoyed with lower speeds.

Another concern: Prospect Rd is looooong (runs to Grand Junction Rd) - do they mean to convert the whole length? or maybe just close to the city end? The King William Rd conversion worked coz it's not too long and terminates in suburbia of reasonably high density.
I don't think Prospect Road gets that much commuter traffic because it's already quite narrow. I would assume most traffic uses Churchill Rd.

Prospect Counicl's boundary is a few streets north of Regency Rd so I would suspect the works would only go that far.