Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
PeFe
Legendary Member!

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

#766 Post by PeFe » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Bumping a long stagnant thread, but Walker Corporation has still not given up given up on Buckland Park.
This is what Adelaide does NOT need.
From The Advertiser
Developers receive extension to begin work on $2 billion housing development at Buckland Park

DEVELOPERS of a proposed $2 billion satellite town in northern Adelaide — which would become home to more than 30,000 people — have been given an extension to begin work.

Walker Corporation will have until October 31, 2018 to start on its 12,000-home development in Buckland Park, after it did not “substantially commence” construction on the site this year.

Work on the site has been delayed since the project was first given approval in 2010 because of long-running environmental and design assessments.

Planning Minister John Rau approved the 12-month extension in the Government Gazette this month.

Mr Rau said in the document that the development approval for the site might be cancelled if Walker Corporation did not meet the revised start date.

Playford Mayor Glenn Docherty called on the developers to confirm the start.

“Playford Council welcomes well planned developments in our region which create economic value and cater for our growing population,” Mr Docherty said.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... e71693f3a7

I''m sorry but I just can not believe that first render will ever come to fruition.............
I wont be boring and hark on it...I have said in earlier posts on this thread why I object to Buckland Park.......and nothing has changed

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!

#767 Post by Eurostar » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:44 pm

Blakes Crossing Facebook Post :
Blakes Crossing is pleased to advise that civil works have commenced to connect Hayfield Avenue up to Main North Road. 🚜🛤️
Expected opening is late December, 2017.
#BlakesCrossing

ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!

#768 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:50 am

PeFe wrote:Bumping a long stagnant thread, but Walker Corporation has still not given up given up on Buckland Park.
This is what Adelaide does NOT need.
From The Advertiser
Developers receive extension to begin work on $2 billion housing development at Buckland Park

DEVELOPERS of a proposed $2 billion satellite town in northern Adelaide — which would become home to more than 30,000 people — have been given an extension to begin work.

Walker Corporation will have until October 31, 2018 to start on its 12,000-home development in Buckland Park, after it did not “substantially commence” construction on the site this year.

Work on the site has been delayed since the project was first given approval in 2010 because of long-running environmental and design assessments.

Planning Minister John Rau approved the 12-month extension in the Government Gazette this month.

Mr Rau said in the document that the development approval for the site might be cancelled if Walker Corporation did not meet the revised start date.

Playford Mayor Glenn Docherty called on the developers to confirm the start.

“Playford Council welcomes well planned developments in our region which create economic value and cater for our growing population,” Mr Docherty said.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... e71693f3a7

I''m sorry but I just can not believe that first render will ever come to fruition.............
I wont be boring and hark on it...I have said in earlier posts on this thread why I object to Buckland Park.......and nothing has changed
I'm with you. I am vehemently opposed to any development at Buckland Park.

It is the antithesis of modern urban and regional planning, and is the polar opposite of what the likes of developments such as Bowden are trying to achieve.

I can accurately predict what would become of the development if it somehow goes ahead.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#769 Post by Goodsy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am

I don't see a problem with it... if they add proper freeway off ramps to Port Wakefield Road and leave room for a train line, which I doubt they'll do

SBD
Legendary Member!

#770 Post by SBD » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:01 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am
I don't see a problem with it... if they add proper freeway off ramps to Port Wakefield Road and leave room for a train line, which I doubt they'll do
Development on the other side of the highway would make it easier to justify grade separation at Angle Vale Road, which is already considered a dangerous intersection I think. A Virginia Structure Plan from 2013 (before the Northern Connector project) shows traffic lights on that corner, which now looks really dumb just after the road trains have come off the end of a freeway.

I just noticed there is currently not even a warmup lane on PWR at Old Port Wakefield Road at the southern end of Virginia, but that doesn't seem to get as many serious collisions. I don't know if it has better sight lines, or if drivers take more care because it looks more dangerous. It looks like that intersection might get some minor upgrades as part of the Northern Connector project - it has some marks on the road alignment plan, but hasn't been announced as a distinct work package like the major interchanges have. I don't know if it's already been done? It is not shown to have traffic lights in the Structure Plan, so would still be uncontrolled.

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#771 Post by rhino » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:18 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:08 am
It is nowhere near any existing public transport, or even current routes which could be extended. Nowhere near schools, health services etc. This is a development that will be totally dependant on car travel to reach anything, for a long time into the future.

I have no problem with people not wanting to live in a medium-density Brompton-style development - some people want a little more space - but developments such as this can be built in areas where existing essential services are nearby. No doubt the people who choose to live in Buckland Park will want a Government School close by, some public transport will be expected, at Government expense, some health services, also at Government expense. Who is the winner in this development? Walker Corporation, and that's about it.
cheers,
Rhino

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#772 Post by monotonehell » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:18 am

Not only is it remote to everything. It's also a low lying flood plain. There's a few evaporated lakes and several dry creeks running through it.

This is a disaster in all respects (social, environmental...) waiting to happen.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 16fbcdf35a
“It was never a good idea for a settlement in that location. It’s not a settlement that is connected by public transport. It doesn’t have jobs — there’s no employment lands so (there’s no) opportunity for people to work in close proximity to their home (and) it’s low-lying land which has been known to flood.” Professor Kellett said there may be an “engineering solution” that could mitigate the flood risk but it could be costly both to the hip pocket and the environment.
And that render is a laughable fantasy.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Eurostar
High Rise Poster!

#773 Post by Eurostar » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:21 pm

News just in:

From today, residents living in the area bordered by Womma, Stebonheath, Petherton and Andrews Road are now part of Adelaide’s new suburb, Eyre.

If you live in this area you may need to change your address, but we are here to help.

Visit this website to see what the State Government and your local council have changed and what is left for you to update: www.dpti.sa.gov.au/eyre

ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!

#774 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:53 pm

Eurostar wrote:News just in:

From today, residents living in the area bordered by Womma, Stebonheath, Petherton and Andrews Road are now part of Adelaide’s new suburb, Eyre.

If you live in this area you may need to change your address, but we are here to help.

Visit this website to see what the State Government and your local council have changed and what is left for you to update: www.dpti.sa.gov.au/eyre
This area in here. The suburb name means more housing development incoming. Yay for urban sprawl! Image
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD
Legendary Member!

#775 Post by SBD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:32 am

I see someone has been quick to rename the existing thread about the shopping centre going up in the northeastern corner of the new suburb - well done.

The southeastern corner is already being developed, and the playing fields in the middle have been announced with development to start soon (if it hasn't already). Smith Creek flows through the northwestern extension, so there will not be a lot of development in the part closes to the Northern Expressway, but hopefully just enough development to restore the derelict heritage building at the end.

Whether the new suburb was created or not, this land was already zoned for housing. Immediately to its south in what continues to be Edinburgh North and Penfield, the vacant land is zoned for industry. Most of it has previously been either undeveloped pasture, or growing hay. I'd rather see this developed for housing than removing orchards and market gardens in Munno Para Downs, Angle Vale and Virginia.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#776 Post by Goodsy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:04 am

It's already well underway, the oval is done and the clubhouses are just about finished as well. the whole this is making Womma Road a nightmare.. I hope they aren't planning on keeping it a single land road

rhino

#777 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 am

Where does one have to go to get a descent size block of land these days? One where I can have a nice house, a shed, an outdoor entertaining area, a double carport, room for a couple of fruit trees and some veggies, and a back lawn? 1000 sq m would be enough, and used to be the norm. So sad to see that 35km out from Adelaide we still have to live on top of each other :(
cheers,
Rhino

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#778 Post by Goodsy » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:26 am

rhino wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 am
Where does one have to go to get a descent size block of land these days? One where I can have a nice house, a shed, an outdoor entertaining area, a double carport, room for a couple of fruit trees and some veggies, and a back lawn? 1000 sq m would be enough, and used to be the norm. So sad to see that 35km out from Adelaide we still have to live on top of each other :(
Eden Two Wells currently has a few 1 hectare blocks

urban
Legendary Member!

#779 Post by urban » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am

rhino wrote:
I would recommend Unley Park, Medindie, Toorak Gardens, Springfield, eastern portion of Millswood. Simply knock down the large house already on site and you'll have you're block of land. 1,000sqm has never been the norm.

rhino

#780 Post by rhino » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:21 pm

urban wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am
rhino wrote:
I would recommend Unley Park, Medindie, Toorak Gardens, Springfield, eastern portion of Millswood. Simply knock down the large house already on site and you'll have you're block of land.
Ha ha, yeah, no worries
urban wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am
1,000sqm has never been the norm.
Never? Oh, maybe my childhood and youth, when we all grew up on 1/4 - acre blocks (1000 sq m) at Grange, Henley Beach, Fulham, West Beach and Glenelg with sheds, pigeon coops, swimming pools out back was an illusion then. My bad. I'll let my old buddies know. Thanks.
cheers,
Rhino