ONH: Adelaide Airport Hotel | 37m | 9lvls | Hotel

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #Proposed: Airport Hotel - 42m

#16 Post by Howie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Sketchup Model of Proposed Airport Hotel

* Adelaide Airport Hotel (Howie)

Joely
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by Joely » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:23 pm

Wow that was quick Howie! The model looks great. I really really hope they refine the design of this proposal though. Currently it looks like a 70s/80s hospital block, especially with that protruding concrete, podium block thingy. But great news regardless! Anyone wanna have a guess which company would manage it? My guess is it will be the Adelaide Aiport Hilton!

TooFar
Gold-Member ;)

#18 Post by TooFar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:41 am

how_good_is_he wrote:All for it....but my only concern would be noise for people actually staying there [and trying to sleep] because the runways are close with planes running non stop 6am - late. I am sure an acoustic engineer will need to be involved.
Most major airports have hotels within spitting distance. Obviously not a problem.

Generally most people would stay at an airport hotel for two reason;
1) They missed their flight or the flight was canceled and have to wait until the next day.
2) They have a very early flight and do not want to risk getting caught in traffic.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#19 Post by AtD » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:43 am

For those who want a bit of bed time reading:
http://www.aal.com.au/lib/pdf/PreliminaryDraftMDP.pdf

urban
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by urban » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:40 am

TooFar wrote:
how_good_is_he wrote:All for it....but my only concern would be noise for people actually staying there [and trying to sleep] because the runways are close with planes running non stop 6am - late. I am sure an acoustic engineer will need to be involved.
Most major airports have hotels within spitting distance. Obviously not a problem.

Generally most people would stay at an airport hotel for two reason;
1) They missed their flight or the flight was canceled and have to wait until the next day.
2) They have a very early flight and do not want to risk getting caught in traffic.
I have stayed at the Singapore Airport Hotel which is actually inside the terminal and did not notice any plane noise. Actually, from inside the terminal in general you don't hear any plane noise.

Tyler_Durden
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by Tyler_Durden » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:10 am

Norman wrote:A tram link would be even awesomer now for the Airport. Imagine the tourists hopping on a tram at the Airport and travelling to the City, doing some shopping and then going back to their rooms.
People will stay there to avoid going in to the city, or anywhere outside of the airport grounds. And I don't see what's so great about that at all. It's ugly, it's in a shocking location (why can't they put it the other side of the street so as not to block out the view of the terminal with this monstrosity?). Totally uneccessary when Adelaide city is so close to the airport.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by omada » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:31 am

I think it looks slick, modern, a bold design.. a good architectural statement for visitors entering the city...

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#23 Post by Wayno » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:45 am

Tyler_Durden wrote: People will stay there to avoid going in to the city, or anywhere outside of the airport grounds. And I don't see what's so great about that at all. It's ugly, it's in a shocking location (why can't they put it the other side of the street so as not to block out the view of the terminal with this monstrosity?). Totally uneccessary when Adelaide city is so close to the airport.
yep, this was my first reaction as well. We complain about not enough life in the city - so are we happy that 200 visitors (plus domestic and international conferences) are being kept away from the city?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#24 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:08 pm

Good to hear a hotel is to be built but dont understand the location or design it
would be better to be across the road with nice glass footbridges similar to the
festival centre one to connect the hotel with the terminal and have the footbrigdes
etc connect through the multistorey carpark.

They should build more of a resort style hotel with conference facilities a large
pool and good landscaping to make it attractive...

The current proposal doesnt look like a hotel but rather a hospital block from the
60's

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#25 Post by Omicron » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Any one know much about how much you can sound proof a building and what is the maximum decibel count allowed under the building code for hotels.
That is a question I defer to the architects and engineers of the Melbourne Airport Hilton. I'm sure it can be done, though. Incidentally, I'd imagine many people who stay overnight at airport hotels tend to be those who need to fly out early the next day, and choose not to stay in a city hotel because of the extended travel time and transport costs. At a guess, I'd say a high proportion of those staying in an airport hotel would be those leaving at 6am anyway.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Call me Mr Negative, though I am really starting to get worried with this influx of major hotel developments around Adelaide. I'm also not mad on the design, hopefully it looks better in real life.

urban
Legendary Member!

#27 Post by urban » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:28 pm

The question that needs answering is Does an airport at the Hotel bring additional people and spending to Adelaide or does it just take existing visitors away from the city centre?

I transit through Perth airport occasionally with afternoon flight in and first flight out. Currently I catch a taxi (or bus depending on time of day) to a city Hotel then have dinner at a restaurant and catch a taxi back in the morning. If there was an airport hotel I would probably stay there and get a cheap meal with a net loss to Perth economy of at least $50 plus an extra person in the CBD.

Not a big impact but multiply that by 200 people a day and it starts to become significant ($3.65mil a year). I would still go to Perth regardless of the existence of an airport hotel.

No Clever Alias
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#28 Post by No Clever Alias » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:13 pm

Bear in mind when looking at this proposal that there is not a set site or design for the hotel. The renders are simply concept drawings so that people have an idea what a building there may look like... and there is a large area indicated where a hotel could be sited.
There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth - not going all the way, and not starting. Buddha

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#29 Post by crawf » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:31 pm

Well thats a relief.

cleverick
High Rise Poster!

#30 Post by cleverick » Thu May 08, 2008 1:04 pm

Tyler_Durden and Wayno, I too was initially against it. (Omicron, Howie and others can roll their eyes here.)
I didn't believe that Adelaide has many transit passengers, and I was concerned that it would take people away from the city. But in fact there is an increasing volume of transit passengers: people who live in Perth and take connecting flights to mines, Mining CEOs from Sydney and Melbourne, that sort of thing. The hotel would not detract in any significant way from the city, it would just help those people not to have to take a taxi into town at 10pm and then back out at 5am. This is entirely reasonable. Most big airports have hotels, and the development would sit easily with my proposed Airport- City/Bay/Port express trains. If tourists did want to stay there instead of town, they could still access our tourist destinations by fast rail link.
I would probably choose to stay there if I had an early flight, and some rooms would be kept for passengers whose flights were delayed or cancelled.

I just hope the building looks better than that render.

And as for the car park, for people who are just seeing off friends and family, a cycle or a bus (train) is a far better option due to cost anyway. Why encourage cars by increasing the size of the park?