CAN: [Wayville] The Wayville | $300m | 6lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
MMM
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: #PRO: | The Wayville | $300m | 6lvls | Mixed-Use | Wayville

#46 Post by MMM » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Yes, it is on a major road, but it will also be surrounded by residential property. It's not in the middle of Goodwood or Unley, correct...but it is in the middle of Wayville.

I personally don't have a problem with development of the site, as long as residents are also give a fair go too. It is simply too early to say whether this will or won't be a good development because the plans are yet to surface.

By the way, this may be of interest too:
http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/reso ... Item_1.pdf

nimeton
Gold-Member ;)

#47 Post by nimeton » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:10 pm

skyliner wrote:So this has not been killed off by the 'great' recession. Somewhat of a surprise given the fall in occupation rates of hotel rooms in most cities, incl. ours. Really like the design. Not just the standard high rise box with the usual 'global' design. (unspoken international current appearance).

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
No, I think this one is dead. Advertisment for On the Run /BP in this weeks Eastern Courier Messenger states:

"It was announced today that On The Run will redevelop its current location at Wayville in January 2010. The location was formerly part of a major development proposal by the Scherza Group."

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#48 Post by cruel_world00 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:31 pm

That's disappointing, I think Goodwood could really benefit from something like this rather than North Adelaide. I'd prefer boring-ish carbon copy buildings like this in Goodwood and something more interesting in North Adelaide. But oh well. Thanks recession, you've been great.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#49 Post by Queen Anne » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 am

cruel_world00 wrote: I'd prefer boring-ish carbon copy buildings like this in Goodwood and something more interesting in North Adelaide.
Why is that, cw?

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#50 Post by cruel_world00 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:26 pm

Queen Anne wrote:
cruel_world00 wrote: I'd prefer boring-ish carbon copy buildings like this in Goodwood and something more interesting in North Adelaide.
Why is that, cw?

I guess I was thinking along the lines of Goodwood being less important than North Adelaide and a development that isn't world class not being as out of place in a suburb like Goodwood, whereas in North Adelaide I only expect world class. With that being said, I would prefer amazing developments for both but is that realistic expectations? I don't know.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#51 Post by mattblack » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:06 pm

nimeton wrote:
skyliner wrote:So this has not been killed off by the 'great' recession. Somewhat of a surprise given the fall in occupation rates of hotel rooms in most cities, incl. ours. Really like the design. Not just the standard high rise box with the usual 'global' design. (unspoken international current appearance).

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
No, I think this one is dead. Advertisment for On the Run /BP in this weeks Eastern Courier Messenger states:

"It was announced today that On The Run will redevelop its current location at Wayville in January 2010. The location was formerly part of a major development proposal by the Scherza Group."

Not sure if it is, I know that 'The house of pints' which is on the site is shutting its doors 'to make way for a development'

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#52 Post by Queen Anne » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:11 am

cruel_world00 wrote:
Queen Anne wrote:
Why is that, cw?

I guess I was thinking along the lines of Goodwood being less important than North Adelaide and a development that isn't world class not being as out of place in a suburb like Goodwood, whereas in North Adelaide I only expect world class. With that being said, I would prefer amazing developments for both but is that realistic expectations? I don't know.
Thanks for the reply :) Yes, I see where you're coming from, but imo Goodwood has quite a bit of potential and every blah development can only hinder that potential from being fulfilled. I tend to think we should always expect the moon from developers - it seems to me they get away with blue murder sometimes (all said from my position as an armchair observer of such things, admittedly).

edit: Thought I'd just expalin myself a bit further. In a nutshell, I'm thinking that if we let developers think we're happy to make do with average design, we're starting at a low bargaining point with nowhere to go but lower..

cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

#53 Post by cruel_world00 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Hmmmm. Yay a new petrol station. Adelaide; the city of carparks and On The Runs.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/stor ... 01,00.html
'Wayville plan topples'

AN AMBITIOUS $300 million residential and commercial development in Wayville has been shelved and developer Sam Sgherza faces legal action over its demise.

"The Wayville" development, which was granted major project status by the State Government last December, was planned for Goodwood Rd, on the corner of Le Hunte St, opposite the showgrounds.

It included a hotel, shopping mall and apartments but the developers have since failed to settle on a contract to buy a 4000sq m block which formed a large part of the proposed development site.

Landowner Peregrine Corporation is now suing the developers and Mr Sgherza for breach of contract, and will develop the corner site into a service station complex.

Peregrine Corporation legal officer Peter Piliouras said settlement on the sale had been due in June this year, and legal action was under way in the Supreme Court.

"We are seeking damages for their failure to settle on the contract, and because they haven't settled we are going to redevelop the site ourselves," he said.

Mr Piliouras said the Peregrine site had been important for the Wayville development because it was on the corner and had provided off-street access from Le Hunte St.

"They will have some difficulty reconfiguring their major proposal without that piece of land," he said.

Mr Sgherza declined to comment when contacted by The Advertiser, but through Urban Commercial leasing agent Nicholas Hicks said: "Wayville is still taking its course."

The developers own the adjacent site, which is similar in size to the Peregrine land holding.

City of Unley chief executive Ray Pincombe said the council was waiting to see what would happen with any alternative development.

A spokesman for Urban Development Minister Paul Holloway said the major development status for the project would be rescinded if the design was changed substantially.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#54 Post by Omicron » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:11 pm

Tut tut, breach of contract.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: CAN: [Wayville] The Wayville | $300m | 6lvls | Mixed Use

#55 Post by Ben » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:45 pm

All buildings have been demolished and site cleared. I was excited as I thought the inital project was starting but upon googling the site I found out the new development has been significantly dumbed down and includes 2 shops and a 24 hour gym :roll:

Most significant watering down ever?
Demolition of an exiting building and shed, the construction of two shops and a fitness studio including the reconfiguration and creation of an intergrated car parking arrangement.
http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/reso ... 4Jun14.pdf

Plans

http://www.unley.sa.gov.au/webdata/reso ... AJun14.pdf
Attachments
Goodwood road.jpg
Goodwood road.jpg (57.81 KiB) Viewed 6228 times

flat04
Gold-Member ;)

#56 Post by flat04 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:48 pm

Yep, can't believe it. Goodwood Rd right near the City and right next to the Show Grounds and they don't even want to build more than a single level.
Surely they should at least put some more parking in, farmers markets and lots of show weekends the parking is crazy.
How many weekends a year would there be strong demand for accommodation from people going to the show grounds as well....

The Scooter Guy

#57 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:52 pm

Good riddance to the House of Prints (That 1900s cottage).
Not long to go now until demolition of that nearby building!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

The Scooter Guy

#58 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:42 pm

Any recent activity going on?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/