CAN: [Wayville] The Wayville | $300m | 6lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
cruel_world00
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: #PRO: | The Wayville | $300m | 6lvls | Mixed-Use | Wayville

#31 Post by cruel_world00 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:32 am

skyliner wrote:Like Ozisnowman said - reminds me, quite heavily, of Makris plan for Nth Ad.Pleased to see it as major project - imagine if otherwise.

To me it looks like the 'city' has finally arrived in Goody Rd. It will help reflect the new style of the showground - appealing more fully to a national and internation clientelle.An excellent looking concept with appropriate features for the area. Don't know much of what is actually geographically behind the project however.

With the showground opposite it will be that much less potential for objections as no invasion of privacy.will benefit strongly from the show as well.

Interesting that this is proposed in the heat of the financial crisis.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE

As much as I hate the comparison attitude, I think Goodwood Rd definitely has the potential to be similar to Brunswick St or something of this standard. Developments like this will only help spur more investment further up the street.

Prince George
Legendary Member!

#32 Post by Prince George » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:45 pm

The design may be a bit uninspiring, but it is very heartening to see six levels in the area. IMHO, the real battle for density in Adelaide will be how much 4-8 story development we get. 2-3 floors are still likely to be single family homes, meaning dense housing but not dense population.

But the boutique hotel has me confused - this seems like a very unlikely location for one ...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by crawf » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:05 am

This is a good location for a hotel its opposite the Showgrounds, excellent Public Transport, close to Hyde Park and only 2km from the city.

Hopefully it will kick start more development in the inner burbs.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#34 Post by rev » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:55 am

crawf wrote:This is a good location for a hotel its opposite the Showgrounds, excellent Public Transport, close to Hyde Park and only 2km from the city.

Hopefully it will kick start more development in the inner burbs.
Not that I'm against this development, far from it, but if your going to use the city as a positive, why not just advocate for it to be in the city? It's not like Goodwood road is a focal point like O'Connel st or The Parade.
And I don't see the benefit in the Showground's being across the road. Are interstate and international visitors going to come see our Pool & Spa show? The only events worthy of noting are Big Day Out(which could always be moved to another venue) and the Royal Show. 1+10 days.

:2cents:

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#35 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:50 pm

rev wrote:Not that I'm against this development, far from it, but if your going to use the city as a positive, why not just advocate for it to be in the city?
Because Sam Sgherza owns this land on Goodwood Road.
If you put in an application to build something on land you owned, how would you feel about being told to build it on some land in the city?
cheers,
Rhino

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#36 Post by rev » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:25 pm

rhino wrote:
rev wrote:Not that I'm against this development, far from it, but if your going to use the city as a positive, why not just advocate for it to be in the city?
If you put in an application to build something on land you owned, how would you feel about being told to build it on some land in the city?
Nah nah nah, I'm not against the location, although I don't think it's that attractive as there isn't really much around there that you can do, you need to drive or catch a cab to the CBD up the road. I'm just saying to Crawf, proximity to the CBD is not all its cracked up to be in this case, as the location is not something like O Connel or The Parade if you get my drift.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#37 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:19 pm

rev wrote:
rhino wrote:
Nah nah nah, I'm not against the location, although I don't think it's that attractive as there isn't really much around there that you can do, you need to drive or catch a cab to the CBD up the road. I'm just saying to Crawf, proximity to the CBD is not all its cracked up to be in this case, as the location is not something like O Connel or The Parade if you get my drift.
Goodwood Road is pretty much a 10 minute Go Zone, with services every 10-15 minutes during the day and every 15-30 minutes (alternating) on weekends.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#38 Post by Ben » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:14 pm

From The Messenger:
Unley plans to stall Goodwood hotel plan

by Tim Williams

A MEETING will be held today between Unley Council and the State Government to see about removing the ``major project’’ status granted to a proposed six-storey hotel development on Goodwood Rd, Wayville.

Council CEO Ray Pincombe says the January 28 meeting with Planning Minister Paul Holloway will seek a review of the major project status, which removes the development from council consideration.

Mr Pincombe says the government should not be setting a precedent by approving a six-storey hotel before the council has settled on a policy for height limits on Goodwood Rd.

Last month, the government gave major project status to a proposal by the Sam Sgherza Group to build a $300 million hotel and apartment complex opposite the Adelaide Showgrounds.

Mr Pincombe said he would also ask the minister why the council had not been notified of the government’s plans for the site.

A spokesman for Mr Holloway said the government had erred by publicly announcing major project status before informing the council, but it would be unfair to the developer to make him wait until Unley finalised the changes to its development plan.

``Why hold up the project for three years while they go through the process of changing their policy to allow this sort of project to go ahead?’’ he said.

At the same time, Unley councillors say they have no objection to the government handling the rezoning of the showgrounds, to allow the Royal Agricultural and Horticultural Society to forge ahead with its 20 year, $180 million masterplan.

Mr Pincombe said the council was currently devoting ``a lot of resources’’ to the development plan amendments, including one allowing for larger developments on main roads, and staff were unable to handle the Showgrounds rezoning.

``One is State Government land used as the Showgrounds for the benefit of the state whereas with the development on Goodwood Rd we’d be looking at how that fit in with our corridor plans,’’ he said.
RESIDENTS RAILING AGAINST TALL STOREYS

Samara Fares fears the construction of ``The Wayville’’ hotel complex on Goodwood Rd will damage her house, ruin its value and plunge her backyard into permanent afternoon shadow.

Mrs Fares joined about 30 residents for a public meeting last week to discuss their concerns about the proposed six-storey development, which was given
major project status by the State Government last month.

Mrs Fares fears excavation works for three underground car parking levels next door could cause structural damage to her house.

``The cracking (of walls) is bad enough in this area as it is,’’ she said.

The Fares home backs onto the Goodwood Rd site and could also share a side boundary if Alliance Francaise sells its property to hotel developer Sam
Sgherza.

It is understood the Sgherza Group has made an offer to the French language organisation.

``Once you have that huge, massive building there, we won’t have any privacy and there’ll be constant noise and parking problems,’’ Mrs Fares said. ``I’m sure
it (the house) will depreciate by God knows how much.’’

Other residents at the meeting expressed their anger at the major project status, which cuts Unley Council out of the planning process.

``Major projects were supposed to be of major benefit to the state,’’ one resident said.

Another said he couldn’t understand why the government had stepped in before a development application was even lodged, unlike the Le Cornu site in North
Adelaide where the government took control after 20 years of disputes and delays.

The Sgherza Group did not return calls from the Eastern Courier.

skyliner

#39 Post by skyliner » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:56 pm

Here we go guys.

There are always objections, but what matters is the actual weight they carry in proportion to the positives with the future considered.

Nationally speaking this is not big. Location wise = inner, inner suburbs and on a main road AND opposite showground. Interference with privacy must be limited at best. (one the usual complaints). Design is quite suitable IMO - the only issue I see is possible traffic congestion.

ADELAIDE - CITY ON THE MOVE
Jack.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:00 pm

>Mr Pincombe says the government should not be setting a precedent by approving a six-storey hotel before the council has settled on a policy for height limits on Goodwood Rd.

Now from what I have gathered, Goodwood road has existed for a few years now... surely they should have that settled by now?

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#41 Post by Ben » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 pm

From The Messenger:
Unley’s court action threat

by Tim Williams

UNLEY Council is threatening Supreme Court action against the State Government taking planning control of a controversial six-storey hotel proposal for Goodwood Rd, Wayville.

Mayor Richard Thorne has written to Planning Minister Paul Holloway demanding that he revoke the Major Project Status granted to the project in December, which effectively bars the council from becoming involved in the approval process.

In his letter, Mr Thorne said the proposal did not meet the Major Project Status criteria of “major environmental, social or economic importance”.

“If not withdrawn, council will seek legal advice and may lodge an application with the Supreme Court to set aside the declaration as invalid.”

Mr Thorne declined to make further comment last week.

The Sam Sgherza Group proposes to build a six-storey hotel with apartments, 100 retirement units and three underground parking levels, opposite the Showgrounds on Goodwood Rd, between Young and Le Hunte streets.

Wayville residents are concerned the development will overshadow their homes and choke local streets with traffic. Residents have no appeal rights under Major Project Status.

Young St resident Peter Nolan backed the council’s move.

“The council’s stance is supported by the community to make sure there is fair and due process,” he said.

Major Project Status was announced a month after the Eastern Courier broke news of the proposal in November. Friends of the City of Unley Society president Ros Islip also supported the council for “standing up to the government”.

A spokesman for Mr Holloway would say only that Mr Thorne’s letter had been received and the minister was considering a response. The government is yet to receive a formal application from the site.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by AtD » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:14 pm

Council wasting money and threatening development yet again.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#43 Post by Ben » Tue May 19, 2009 8:38 am

From The Messenger:
Unley abandons action

by Alice Monfries

UNLEY Council will not pursue the State Government into the Supreme Court over losing planning control of a controversial six-storey hotel proposal for Goodwood Rd, Wayville.

The council threatened the legal action after the government granted Major Project Status to the $300 million hotel proposal in December, effectively blocking the council from becoming involved in the approval process. Mayor Richard Thorne said members voted against legal action because, even if the appeal were successful, there was still no guarantee the council would get a “meaningful say” in the project.

Mr Thorne said the council now wanted to meet Urban Development and Planning Minister Paul Holloway to discuss how the project application would be processed, the form of community consultation and to seek a financial contribution towards any compliance costs incurred by Unley. “Communities that are affected by significant projects are at risk of being ignored, when they should be allowed some input,” Mr Thorne said.

“A project with Major Project Status has everything to gain from working with councils to achieve a development that satisfies the developer, the State Government and the community.”

The development, including a centrepiece hotel, apartments and possible retirement living, is proposed by the Sam Sgherza group for a Goodwood Rd site opposite the Adelaide Showgrounds.

skyliner

#44 Post by skyliner » Tue May 19, 2009 9:21 am

So this has not been killed off by the 'great' recession. Somewhat of a surprise given the fall in occupation rates of hotel rooms in most cities, incl. ours. Really like the design. Not just the standard high rise box with the usual 'global' design. (unspoken international current appearance).

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#45 Post by ozisnowman » Tue May 19, 2009 9:29 am

This is another example of why we must do away with councils and quick smart. The State Government needs to have
a co-ordinate plan to increase density around our transport coridors and major transport routes and to remove such
planning control from Local Government.

This development is to be build close to the CBD, opposite the Show Grounds and on a major road. This is not
in the middle of Goodwood or Unley, hence the powers for development control should not be in the hands
of the council.