CAN: [Wayville] The Wayville | $300m | 6lvls | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: $300m makeover for Goodwood Rd at Wayville

#16 Post by AG » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:03 pm

The render doesn't really show much about the plan. Hopefully more near city developments of this sort of magnitude start to create some life around the inner city over the next few years.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by joshzxzx » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:10 pm

I really like this desighn, it promotes living near the city, and help aid against urban sprawl...(if you can afford to live there)

I would love to see this type of development around the entire city, Norwood, North Adelaide, Hindmarsh etc etc .Increaseing residents near the city along as in the city. This will improve public transport within the area and would enable people to unelise the unused parklands due to higher desities of residents living in the area.
South Australia the Festival State

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#18 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 pm

That design looks vaguely familiar ... but looks better than 20 tuscan shoeboxes, and a good use of the underutilised land
on that side of Goodwood Rd.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #PRO: | The Wayville | $300m | 6lvls | Mixed-Use | Wayville

#19 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:10 pm

anyone know the exact plot of land owned by the Developers? presumably it's as per this diagram?
goodwood.JPG
goodwood.JPG (65.05 KiB) Viewed 5728 times
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#20 Post by Shuz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:11 pm

There's another thread on this I think, or are they two different developments?

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#21 Post by bm7500 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Sure, it may resemble the look of 88 O'Connell Street, but i still think it has the potential to become a great addition to the Goodwood Road / Showgrounds precinct.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#22 Post by bm7500 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:24 pm

Shuz is correct, this development already has its own thread here: http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... ead#p52860
Last edited by bm7500 on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

rhino

#23 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:25 pm

Wayno wrote:anyone know the exact plot of land owned by the Developers? presumably it's as per this diagram?
goodwood.JPG
Yup, that's the space, as described in the news article.

My first impression was also that it was a Makris development, especially when I read the bit about Major Project Status - but it isn't Makris. Personally I like the design and think it will be good for the location. 6 floors will make it about the tallest thing in Wayville I imagine?
cheers,
Rhino

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#24 Post by kenget » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:52 pm

rhino wrote:6 floors will make it about the tallest thing in Wayville I imagine?
Building yes, but "thing" no... I would say the Ferris Wheel beats it! ;)

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#25 Post by Wayno » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:29 pm

Unley Council "Not Happy"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008 ... 449148.htm
A proposed $300 million hotel and function complex opposite the Wayville Showgrounds has been given major project status by the South Australian Government.

The Adelaide-based Sam Sgherza Group is proposing the development, which will require approval from the Development Assessment Commission.

Nicholas Hicks from Urban Commercial Property Group, which negotiated the purchase of the properties, says it has taken more than a year to organise.

"It's proposed to be a development of about 80,000 square metres of building, a hundred-odd retirement units, 60 apartments, 50 five-star boutique hotel rooms and roughly about three levels of basement car parking supplying 900 parks," he said.

Unley Council is angry that the complex has been given major project status. Mayor Richard Thorne says local residents have been betrayed. "No consultation whatsoever, we're the local council, we're the local planning authority here," he said. "But big brother has come in on top - personally I think pretty high-handed."
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by mattblack » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:08 pm

I live in Unley council and personally i think its great. Perfect area for redevelopment and will bring density which its what its all about these days. The state gov has done exactally the right thing here to avert another North Adelaide shamozal. Mayor Thorne, get over it, its called taking one for the team !!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#27 Post by Wayno » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:46 am

The approx breakdown for this development is: 100 retirement units, 60 apartments, 50 boutique hotel rooms, and 3 levels of basement carparking.

I hope the number of retirement units get reduced. This is prime real-estate (close to trams & CBD), could almost be considered a TOD development, and hence should be occupied by people who will use the proximity to regularly commute.

Dr Rudi
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#28 Post by Dr Rudi » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:13 pm

Wayno wrote: I hope the number of retirement units get reduced. This is prime real-estate (close to trams & CBD), could almost be considered a TOD development, and hence should be occupied by people who will use the proximity to regularly commute.
Wayno - let's go easy on the retirees - I'm sure the active ones will be up and about. Retirement living does not mean 'nursing home' - in the suburbs it could mean a gated community for the over 55s. Have a look at any of the Lifestyle SA developments. The development on Anzac Highway at Ashford is another example. In fact, that's worse, because it's exclusively 'retirement'.

It may be desirable that this development is 'occupied by people who will use the proximity to regularly commute' - what interventions do you reckon are acceptable to get this outcome ? Where's the market research ? Who are the people who would want to live there, how big a space do they want to live in; and how much can they pay for it ?

skyliner

#29 Post by skyliner » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Like Ozisnowman said - reminds me, quite heavily, of Makris plan for Nth Ad.Pleased to see it as major project - imagine if otherwise.

To me it looks like the 'city' has finally arrived in Goody Rd. It will help reflect the new style of the showground - appealing more fully to a national and internation clientelle.An excellent looking concept with appropriate features for the area. Don't know much of what is actually geographically behind the project however.

With the showground opposite it will be that much less potential for objections as no invasion of privacy.will benefit strongly from the show as well.

Interesting that this is proposed in the heat of the financial crisis.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

dj_fishy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#30 Post by dj_fishy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:15 pm

I sure as hell hope they give this site more than the usual soundproofing. Placing a retirement village right next to the venue of the Big Day Out seems like a recipe for conflict... (Friend heard this year's Rage set all the way from his place in Mile End...)