News & Developments: Elizabeth & Salisbury

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: Elizabeth/Salisbury | Developments & News

#151 Post by Brucetiki » Thu May 07, 2015 9:58 pm

The Harris Scarfe at Elizabeth has finally opened, some 12 months late (it was a running joke around my mates that the store was never going to open).

For a store that was so late in opening, it is very underwhelming. Reduced to just one level now, the store is very plain and white.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#152 Post by Brucetiki » Thu May 07, 2015 10:07 pm

In other news, there's another plan to redevelop Parabanks. This time it's truly half arsed.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... m=Facebook

9 new shops and Coles to move into the mall and replace Harris Scarfe for $18 million - meh.

Given the amount of times the owner has threatened to redevelop Parabanks, there's more chance of the Le Cornu site being redeveloped before Parabanks gets an upgrade.

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#153 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri May 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Brucetiki wrote:The Harris Scarfe at Elizabeth has finally opened, some 12 months late (it was a running joke around my mates that the store was never going to open).

For a store that was so late in opening, it is very underwhelming. Reduced to just one level now, the store is very plain and white.
This was because major works had to be done including removing the entrance by the taxi rank and also removing the escalators & lifts.
It is a single level store with the uppermost floors sealed!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#154 Post by Brucetiki » Fri May 08, 2015 6:23 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:The Harris Scarfe at Elizabeth has finally opened, some 12 months late (it was a running joke around my mates that the store was never going to open).

This was because major works had to be done including removing the entrance by the taxi rank and also removing the escalators & lifts.
It is a single level store with the uppermost floors sealed!
So their standard 'move into multi-story store and strip it back to the bare basics on one floor' (ala Colonnades Mk I and Arndale).

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by Torrens_5022 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:51 pm

Doesn't Arndale Harris Scarfe still have the escalators (boarded up), the Myer at Elizabeth was a sad failure - good to see HS back. Also were the HS / Myer stores which were John Martins? at Elizabeth, Colonnades and Arndale two stories like Marion David Jones (size?) - I've heard stories they had 3 floors - but by looking at the buildings they seem more like Marion David Jones and Myer size and floors. Why was Marion renamed Westfield Marion but Arndale become just Arndale and lost it's centre name, After the end of the Arndale group in Aust.?

rhino

#156 Post by rhino » Mon May 11, 2015 12:35 pm

Possibly because Arndale is owned by Centro, not Westfield?
cheers,
Rhino

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#157 Post by rev » Mon May 11, 2015 4:37 pm

rhino wrote:Possibly because Arndale is owned by Centro, not Westfield?
He's talking about when Westfield owned it. And Centro is now known as Federation Centers/Limited.

Btw, whatever happened to the plan to redevelop Elizabeth into a secondary CBD for Adelaide? That just popped into my mind.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#158 Post by Brucetiki » Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 pm

Torrens_5022 wrote:Doesn't Arndale Harris Scarfe still have the escalators (boarded up), the Myer at Elizabeth was a sad failure - good to see HS back. Also were the HS / Myer stores which were John Martins? at Elizabeth, Colonnades and Arndale two stories like Marion David Jones (size?) - I've heard stories they had 3 floors - but by looking at the buildings they seem more like Marion David Jones and Myer size and floors. Why was Marion renamed Westfield Marion but Arndale become just Arndale and lost it's centre name, After the end of the Arndale group in Aust.?
Correct the Arndale Harris Scarfe still has the escalators sorta boarded up (basically enough boarding to stop people using them, the escalators and first floor area above the escalators stand out distinctly). An urban myth is that the first floor is pretty much intact from the John Martin's days (including the tables and chairs all set out in Eliza's). In fact, the ground floor is in a pretty sad state at Arndale too and really looks like HS have badly neglected their Arndale store.

Sadly you were right about Myer at Elizabeth. I will miss the bargains you could get in there though (especially their clothes), but at times I was convinced I was their only customer (being Myer's worst performing store, it probably wasn't that far from the truth).

The current HS site at Elizabeth (which was John Martins/HS/Myer/HS) is three stories. The original floor plan actually includes where Amart, Neds etc are, before that got partitioned into a 2 storey Venture. HS Elizabeth Mk 1 originally moved into that space before expanding into John Martins when DJ's closed them down. Briefly HS had John Martin's pre-Venture floor space before they slowly scaled back - the ex-Venture ground floor becoming specialty shops, the ex-Venture first floor closed off and the second floor closed completely (though they did a far more convincing job of sealing the second floor off than what they did with the first floor at Arndale) before offloading it to Myer in an Arndale-like state.

The Myer/Harris Scarfe/Myer part of Colonnades was originally a 3 story Myer. Harris Scarfe then moved in, downscaled it to a single story store, gave it back to Myer, then moved back into an even smaller scale store at the other end of the mall. One has to question the logic of Harris Scarfe moving in and out of Elizabeth/Colonnades at will - it's like they have no idea where they want to have their stores.

Also, as far as I'm aware, the John Martins/David Jones at Marion was always the 2 levels (I think West Lakes was originally 3 levels but John Martin's had downscaled in the 80's).

Adelaideian
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#159 Post by Adelaideian » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:12 am

The Elizabeth Store can boast that at different times it was home to John Martins, David Jones (After the rebadged all suburban Johnnies Stores), Harris Scarfe, Myer and now Harris Scarfe again. Really sad that the only real longtermer was Johnnies who were in the Elizabeth Store for over 30 years.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#160 Post by Brucetiki » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:12 pm

Adelaideian wrote:The Elizabeth Store can boast that at different times it was home to John Martins, David Jones (After the rebadged all suburban Johnnies Stores), Harris Scarfe, Myer and now Harris Scarfe again. Really sad that the only real longtermer was Johnnies who were in the Elizabeth Store for over 30 years.
David Jones was never at Elizabeth - they were rebadged (along with Arndale) as Harris Scarfe in 1997 (DJ's rebadged Marion/West Lakes in the mid 1990's)

It was:

John Martins - 1960's - 1997 (3 story), part of original store divided to 2 story Venture
Harris Scarfe - 1997-2007 (took over Venture tenancy in 1994, merged with John Martin's tenancy in 1997 and briefly restored to original 3 story size. Harris Scarfe eventually closed the top floor and converted old Venture tenancy into specialty shops during Elizabeth City Centre upgrade)
Myer 2007-2014 (kept 2 level set up for Harris Scarfe intact)
Closed for Harris Scarfe downgrade 2014-15 (removed all upper levels)
Harris Scarfe 2015- (single story store)

PeFe

#161 Post by PeFe » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:01 am

From the ABC
Major revamp to bolster Elizabeth's centre as Holden closure looms

Major construction work planned for Elizabeth will "cement it" as the central business district of Adelaide's north, the local mayor says.

A $5.5 million development to upgrade Prince George Plaza is expected to begin before the end of the year.

City of Playford Mayor Glenn Docherty said it was just stage one of a major revamp, with more retail spaces planned over the next 10 years.

"The northern suburbs are growing," he said.

Full article : http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-14/m ... section=sa

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#162 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#163 Post by duke » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Just caught a news break saying that the Elizabeth development has started construction.
I can't find any online articles about it though.

The Scooter Guy

#164 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Page 25 of the Advertiser (Friday September 30) states that HS Parabanks closing sale is now on.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#165 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:14 am

The Scooter Guy wrote:Page 25 of the Advertiser (Friday September 30) states that HS Parabanks closing sale is now on.
So they'll now be selling stuff at RRP :lol:

The neighbouring shops (Noni B, Rockmans, Zamels) have all closed, and the backs of this block has been expanded, ready for Coles to move in at some stage next year (which, in turn, will see Aldi move into Coles' current location in the car park).

The expanded block has completely hidden the half-assed new entrance for the Reject Shop mall (where Bendigo Bank and Priceline have moved into the new space created by the expansion). No idea where the other 7 'new' shops are going (which will surely be offset by losing the numerous shops in the existing mall for Coles).