News & Developments: Elizabeth & Salisbury

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: Proposed: Costco - Cnr Kings & Main North Rd

#121 Post by neoballmon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:35 pm

I'd be interested to know where their locations they are considering down south are. I cannot think of anywhere of this necessary size..
HeapsGood wrote:
The plan is to start selling the apartments and penthouses on the building's upper levels next year. Talks have also begun to secure a major European retailer.
My first thought when I read this was that it might be an Aldi in this site. Can only hope. Ever since I went to Melbourne, I've been hoping an Aldi would come to Adelaide. The former Coles/Foodworks site at Windsor Gardens, i feel, would also be a great site for one.

Btw, Hi, first post here, but I'm sure not my last.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#122 Post by pushbutton » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Aldis really not all that exciting (to put it mildly). Compared to Coles and Woolworths it's an awful place to shop!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#123 Post by Norman » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Competition can't hurt. And they stick a different variety of products.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Elizabeth: Adelaide’s second CBD

#124 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 am

Wasn't sure where to put this but today Myer announced they are not renewing their lease at Elizabeth and the store will close next financial year.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#125 Post by Nort » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Ben wrote:Wasn't sure where to put this but today Myer announced they are not renewing their lease at Elizabeth and the store will close next financial year.
Will be interesting to see what takes over there, Harris Scarfe downsizing at Elizabeth was what gave Myer that space in the first place. Unless David Jones wants to open an Elizabeth store there don't seem to be any other department chains that could use the space!

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#126 Post by Ben » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 pm

David Jones wouldnt even know Elizabeth existed. It is so far removed from their demographic it's not funny.

Is there a target at Elizabeth?

Hooligan
Legendary Member!

#127 Post by Hooligan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Ben wrote:David Jones wouldnt even know Elizabeth existed. It is so far removed from their demographic it's not funny.

Is there a target at Elizabeth?
Yes, only two i could think to move into that space is a Harvey Norman, but then they have a store at Munno Para so i doubt it.

Possily a Kmart could use just the bottom floor?

Honestely i can't think of any other store that could use that much retail space.

Code: Select all

Signature removed 

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#128 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:12 am

But isn't there a K Mart at Munno Para?. Maybe Harris Scarfe will return back?

Despite for the obvious reasons, I'm still a little shocked. I never ventured into that store, but didn't they only have limited choice by just using the ground floor?. Maybe that's the reason considering the TTP store is three levels (or is it two?), either way it's a decent size for a suburban store.

What a massive blow to Elizabeth SC.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#129 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 pm

crawf wrote:But isn't there a K Mart at Munno Para?.
Although Wesfarmers aren't as outgoing with new stores as Woolies Ltd., this distance would not matter to Woolies if putting a Big W store at Munno Para, but seeing as Wesfarmers are starting to pick up, there's still a chance a K-Mart will show up at Elizabeth.

If it's not Kmart or Harris Scarfe that take the spot, I wouldn't be surprised if they divided the store like they did with the 2nd floor of the Colonnades store (and turned it into a JB Hifi, Cheap as Chips and Best and Less). Not sure who would move there though, as the center already has a number of larger specialty stores already.

Nort

#130 Post by Nort » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31 pm

It will be interesting to see the ramifications of this on flights at Parafield, suspect a large metal roof will cause a lot of turbulence there. :lol:

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#131 Post by Splashmo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:53 pm

I've never been to Elizabeth Shopping Centre. What's it like - worth a look out of curiosity?

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#132 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Nothing too special, just an average mall. But instead of being linear like most centers, it's a sqare, and can be walked as a circuit.
Also includes a cinema, but I haven't been there so can't tell you anything about its features.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#133 Post by pushbutton » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 pm

It could be hard to subdivide the Elizabeth Myer store without doing major alterations to the centre to accommodate it, because unlike at Colonades the only access to the upper level of Myer at Elizabeth is internally via the store itself.

I suppose they could make the existing central part of the store into part of the mall, using the existing escalators and maybe the lifts (although lifts are not central). They would potentially give 4 mini-majors, or a combination of mini-majors and typical speciality stores.

Harvey Norman is the only suitable store I can think of really. There is no chance David Jones would even consider it, especially when Myer has tried and failed.

The other real possibility is Harris Scarfe comes back, but I doubt they'd want to use both levels again so it would probably end up a bit like the Harris Scarfe at Arndale, where only the ground floor is used.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#134 Post by neoballmon » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:15 pm

pushbutton wrote:It could be hard to subdivide the Elizabeth Myer store without doing major alterations to the centre to accommodate it, because unlike at Colonades the only access to the upper level of Myer at Elizabeth is internally via the store itself.
This would still be similar to Colonnades, Myer had a 3rd floor, which I believe is now just used for storage or something along those lines. But it has no public access. I tried to take the lift to the top many years ago, but it didn't let me..

ghs

Re: Elizabeth/Salisbury | Developments & News

#135 Post by ghs » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:04 am

A hand car wash is about to be built in the car park at Elizabeth shopping centre - near
the police station. I assume that it will a Magic Hand Car Wash similar to the one at Tea Tree Plaza.