News & Developments: Elizabeth & Salisbury

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: $15.6m Aquadome Elizabeth Upgrade

#16 Post by Omicron » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:40 pm

crawf wrote:Theres another thing on the City of Playford website, which is all about the Playford North Development it includes a mater plan which highlights a upgrade for the Munno Para train station aswell as a TOD (Transit Oreinted Development).

Plus medium density housing in the new suburb!

http://www.playfordalive.com.au
'The existing suburbs of Smithfield Plains and Davoren Park will get an extensive makeover' - now, that's what I like to hear.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#17 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:44 am

After being on the bus in Davoren Park, I do hope they shift the current residents further north, or at least provide free showers and toothbrushes.

Queen Anne
Donating Member
Donating Member

#18 Post by Queen Anne » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:37 am

Norman wrote:After being on the bus in Davoren Park, I do hope they shift the current residents further north, or at least provide free showers and toothbrushes.
As a former Davoren Park resident, how far north should I go? Is the northern hemisphere far enough?

Don't know what to make of all the suburb snobbery on here :?
Thanks, Caroline

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#19 Post by Norman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:03 pm

Queen Anne wrote:
Norman wrote:After being on the bus in Davoren Park, I do hope they shift the current residents further north, or at least provide free showers and toothbrushes.
As a former Davoren Park resident, how far north should I go? Is the northern hemisphere far enough?

Don't know what to make of all the suburb snobbery on here :?
Thanks, Caroline
I'm sorry, but that's just the impression I got from the bus users. I know not everyone is like that, but first impressions last I'm afraid.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#20 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:43 pm

Norman wrote: or at least provide free showers.
Not likely due to water restrictions my friend

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#21 Post by Cruise » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:45 pm

Queen Anne wrote: Don't know what to make of all the suburb snobbery on here :?

Just do what i do and keep stirring the pot.

Xaragmata

Salisbury | Developments & News

#22 Post by Xaragmata » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:08 pm

According to today's Advertiser print edition, Hamra Homes has approval to build a four storey commercial / apartment
building on what looks like the old Sizzler site between Salisbury Hwy & the rail lines.

Application is here: http://cweb.salisbury.sa.gov.au/manifes ... typen=html

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: 7-9 Park Terrace, Salisbury

#23 Post by Norman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Sounds good, hopefully they will make an effort to open up the railway station to this.

Xaragmata

#24 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:04 am

Norman wrote:Sounds good, hopefully they will make an effort to open up the railway station to this.
It's on the south side of Park Tce, but could be part of a TOD based around the station / interchange.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#25 Post by Will409 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:23 pm

The former Sizzler building has got something of a bad reputation in this area. After several years as a derelict building following the closure of Sizzler, it was converted into a pool hall which saw large scale brawls on several occasions (with police called on atleast three occasions). Since the closure of the pool hall around 2 years ago, the building has been boarded up and in a rather sad state. I personally won't mourn its loss and look forward to seeing it replaced with something fresh.

Sorry if it sounds like a 'small mind, small world' sort of post but that is my personal perspective of the building and site as a local of the area.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#26 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:56 pm

This looked good in the tiser :)

I just hope now the suburb will be cleaned up and more low/mid rises built in Salisbury, though its got a shocking reputation.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#PRO: Parabanks $100m expansion

#27 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 am

From The Messenger:
Parabanks plans $100m expansion
by Jane Tonkin

MORE than 700 local jobs are expected to be created through a proposed $100 million expansion of Parabanks Shopping Centre.

Managing director Nick DiMauro said the redevelopment would create more than 200 construction jobs and 500 retail jobs for the northern suburbs.

``We actually brought Parabanks for this reason,’’ he said.

``We identified the potential here it’s underdeveloped and I think the area is actually crying out for it.

``Nothing has been done here for 32 years and a larger major shopping centre is needed in Salisbury.’’

The proposed upgrades, revealed to the News Review Messenger last week, include an undercroft car park linked to the shopping centre by escalators, a third supermarket, a food court and up to 60 specialty stores.

The John St shopping complex was bought by the DiMauro Group in April 2008 for $87.5 million.

The proposed redevelopment will take up existing car park space and expand the size of the centre from 22,000sqm to 39,000sqm. Mr DiMauro said the exact number of car parks had not been finalised but would comply with council requirements.

He said they were consulting with stakeholders including existing tenants about the proposal and would lodge formal plans with Salisbury Council ``as soon as possible’’.

Salisbury development director Greg Waller said while an upgrade would improve services for Salisbury residents, it still needed to go through the proper application process.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Elizabeth | Developments & News

#28 Post by Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:10 am

From the Messenger:
Elizabeth: Adelaide’s second CBD

by Chloe Kennedy

HOBART and Darwin may be well-known spots on the Australian map but they will have nothing on the northern suburbs in 50 years.

A population forecast shows the number of residents living in Playford and Salisbury councils could double to 384,000 in 2056, making it larger than Hobart (367,000 residents) and Darwin (334,000) are predicted to be.

The figures are contained in a report commissioned by Playford Council on the long term economic growth of the region.

Presenting the report to the council last week, author Richard Blandy said the north would become a satellite city with its own central business district, possibly in Elizabeth.

At present, Playford Council is working with Salisbury and the State Government on plans to expand the Elizabeth Regional Centre, potentially creating Adelaide’s second CBD (see separate report).

Playford Mayor Martin Lindsell said he was ``blown away’’ by the figures showing the region’s population would surpass that of two capital cities.

``I think it’s quite a statement that we’re going to be as big as those areas,’’ Mr Lindsell said.

He said the growth would create thousands of new jobs and more opportunities for local industry and businesses.

New housing developments to cater for the population boom are planned at Andrews Farm, Blakeview, Munno Para West, Buckland Park and the Bolivar Wastewater Treatment Works site. While the report shows the north’s economy is performing stronger than the state average, it warns locals could miss out on jobs in the future unless they upskill.

Up to 95 per cent of new jobs in the region will require a degree or some form of post-school training.

It has made several recommendations for the councils to cater for the growth including:Expanding and improving road, rail and air transport links;

Supporting the further expansion of defence activities;Building a health precinct around the Lyell McEwin Hospital; andEstablishing more northern campuses of independent schools, technical colleges and universities.

Playford general manager Matthew Pears said the report would ``set the planning agenda for the future’’.

``It reinforces that the economy of Playford is strong and continues to grow and highlights some of the opportunities for Playford going forward,’’ Mr Pears said.

``It also indicates that we need to continue to have a focus on ensuring the residents of Playford are able to take part in the opportunities that will be offered in the economy over the next 10-20 years.’’

He said while the global economic downturn would slow investment in the area in the short term, the start major projects and housing developments would
continue to strengthen the local economy in the future.

Salisbury CEO Stephen Hains said population growth would be ``very positive for northern Adelaide’’.

``It will bring more jobs, a wider range of services and more choices to the area,’’ Mr Hains said.

``The practical challenge we have is in relation to identification of areas of future growth and the planning for those areas.’’

New centre: 2050 plans in the pipe

by Eszter Vasenszky

THE Elizabeth Regional Centre could become Adelaide’s second CBD, under new plans being prepared by Playford Council.

Playford, Salisbury Council and the Land Management Corporation (LMC) have been working on planning options for the area up to 2050, including new retail, sport, education and transport services.

Playford’s general manager Matthew Pears said the population growth in the north, which could see the region surpass the size of Hobart and Darwin by 2056, meant an expansion of the regional centre was necessary.

``We think it will be the second CBD of Adelaide,” he said. ``We want to make sure that the residents have all the services they need in the local area. It’s planning for the future of this area.’’

Mr Pears said the plans could include upgrading the Elizabeth railway station and developing housing, retail and office space on about 30ha of vacant land to the west of the station owned by the LMC.

New educational and sporting facilities could also be built in the area.

Salisbury CEO Stephen Hains said the council was working with Playford to ``look at some of the growth options’’ and was undertaking a similar review within
its own area.

LMC spokesman Eric Wisgard said preliminary discussions had begun with Playford and Salisbury councils on ``opportunities for a transit-oriented

development’’.

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: #PRO: Parabanks $100m expansion

#29 Post by fishinajar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:41 am

Ben wrote:From The Messenger:
Parabanks plans $100m expansion
by Jane Tonkin
I think Nick is onto a winner with this one. I was there just resently and could not believe more was not being done with this prime site.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

Re: Elizabeth: Adelaide’s second CBD

#30 Post by Shuz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:43 am

Isn't Elizabeth counted as part of the Greater Adelaide metropolitian area, ie; constituting a part the 1.1m figure?

I think the idea's great; and could very well be enhanced with improved rail links to the area ie; Elizabeth-Gawler, Elizabeth-Adelaide, Elizabeth-Port Adelaide, Elizabeth-Virginia. It would defintely improve the viability of a Barossa train service too, terminating within Elizabeth; but with the option avail to transfer to an Adelaide service.