News & Developments: Elizabeth & Salisbury

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

Re: 7-9 Park Terrace, Salisbury

#31 Post by fishinajar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 am

crawf wrote:This looked good in the tiser :)

I just hope now the suburb will be cleaned up and more low/mid rises built in Salisbury, though its got a shocking reputation.
I'm sure this is exactly what will happen, with or without official TOD status. The area has the right ingredients already- commercial built around a rail station. Hopefully the station will get dressed up a bit with the future rail electrification.

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Elizabeth: Adelaide’s second CBD

#32 Post by omada » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:00 pm

This is a good thing, Playford Council are prudent to consider such things, it makes sense to center employment opportunities around population hotspots. Less stress for the PT system, less cars on the road, therefore less emissions.

Would also have social benefits, as I know some areas within the Playford Council have significant problems with generational unemployment.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by joshzxzx » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Heys guys lets look at the bright side...

If the demand is high enough we may actually get some decent height in regards to the building that are built there..

I would also suspect that if this goes ahead as it should, the Parafield airport would also need to increase in size to manage the increased trafic flow...
South Australia the Festival State

Aidan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#34 Post by Aidan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:00 pm

A few years ago, Mawson Lakes announced plans to become Adelaide's second CBD. As I was studying there at the time, I asked at their Sales and Information Centre whether it was a genuine aspiration or merely a headline grabber. It turned out to be genuine - they really thought they had what it takes.

I reckon the same's true of Elizabeth now. The really think they'll be Adelaide's second CBD - but they won't, because they have too little advantage over the other suburban centres. They'll probably become more CBD like, and they'll certainly attract many commuters from a wide area. They may even get a new Army HQ. But Mawson Lakes, which has a university and a technology park as well as many offices, is only about 15 minutes away - with a clear road you could probably drive it in under ten. They'll prevent each other from dominating.

But do we need another CBD? The existing one's primacy is already very low, particularly in the outer northern suburbs. These futile attempts at becoming a second CBD will have one strong positive effect: the development is being concentrated along the railway - and more specifically, in the areas where bus routes converge.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by Will409 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Removing either the Centrelink from next to the drive through bottleshop or removing the drive through bottle shop from next to the Centrelink will also help 8)
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#36 Post by Cruise » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:33 pm

Will409 wrote:Removing either the Centrelink from next to the drive through bottleshop or removing the drive through bottle shop from next to the Centrelink will also help 8)
The centrelink and pub should be combined imo

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#37 Post by Cruise » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:45 pm

Shuz wrote:Isn't Elizabeth counted as part of the Greater Adelaide metropolitian area, ie; constituting a part the 1.1m figure?
Yes, the quoted population figure is that of the Salisbury and Playford councils combined.

Just a thought, Why don't the Playford and Salisbury councils merge?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Shuz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:21 pm

Cruise wrote:
Shuz wrote:Isn't Elizabeth counted as part of the Greater Adelaide metropolitian area, ie; constituting a part the 1.1m figure?
Yes, the quoted population figure is that of the Salisbury and Playford councils combined.

Bogansville City Council?

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#39 Post by crawf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:35 am

I would rather Marion become our second CBD
Playford Mayor Martin Lindsell said he was ``blown away’’ by the figures showing the region’s population would surpass that of two capital cities.
The northern suburbs are already bigger than Hobart & Darwin combined (population-wise)

Bit of a ridiculous story this, considering Elizabeth & Salisbury are well and truly suburbs of Adelaide.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#40 Post by pushbutton » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:50 pm

Mawson Lakes, or at least Mawson Central, is much more like a CBD than Elizabeth. However to be really considered a CBD it would need to have a much bigger commercial area with a lot more shops and offices.

What it really is, is an excellent example of a "transport oriented development" which the government has been touting, and that is something I fully support and look forward to seeing several more of over the next decade or so.

However I do think it's very possible that Mawson Lakes and / or Elizabeth could eventually become a fully fledged CBD by 50 years from now.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#41 Post by Cruise » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:11 pm

Shuz wrote:
Cruise wrote:

Bogansville City Council?
Originality is not your strong point

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#42 Post by Cruise » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:12 pm

crawf wrote:I would rather Marion become our second CBD
Why

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#43 Post by peas_and_corn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:00 pm

I thought Elizabeth was supposed to be a satellite city when it was created?

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#44 Post by Shuz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:21 pm

It never has been Cruise; I'm just here to state the obvious, rather.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#45 Post by rev » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 am

crawf wrote:I would rather Marion become our second CBD
Bit of a ridiculous story this, considering Elizabeth & Salisbury are well and truly suburbs of Adelaide.
Your idea is even more ridiculous then the original idea in the story. :wank:

If Adelaide's population ever exceeds 2 million there might be a case for a second CBD, but even then, the one CBD we have won't have reached its full potential or capacity so why bother with a second CBD that will only be detrimental to the main CBD? The focus should be on the CBD now as it is, to building it up, not on creating satellite cbds that will in all likelihood fail.

Nice thought though, but maybe when our cities population hits the multiple millions and can actually sustain multiple cbd's.