COM: Hallett Cove Shopping Centre | $40m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

COM: Hallett Cove Shopping Centre | $40m

#1 Post by Howie » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:29 pm

Road link go-ahead for centre upgrade
By JEMMA CHAPMAN
13jan06

WORK will begin within months on a $40 million redevelopment of the Hallett Cove Shopping Centre.

That follows a State Government decision to fund a major new connector road.

State Cabinet yesterday cleared the way for the redevelopment by approving funding for a 1.1 km connector road, providing a link from the centre to Sheidow Park and Trott Park.

Premier Mike Rann said the $4.31 million - on top of a previous commitment of $1.1 million from the state - will give the green light for the $13.5 million transport project.

"I know the community has been keen to see this connector built for some time," he said. "It will provide the impetus for a major $40 million redevelopment of the Hallett Cove Shopping Centre, creating hundreds of jobs and investment in the local economy."

Ken Cooney, general manager of the Makris Group which is behind the upgrade, said now that the connector road had been approved, work would begin on the centre project as early as July.

shibby
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2 Post by shibby » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:22 pm

how big will the hallet cove shopping mall be?

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#3 Post by Howie » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:24 pm

That's a good question, but i can't seem to find any further information on this development.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#4 Post by Will » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:38 am

shibby wrote:how big will the hallet cove shopping mall be?
The main aim of this re-development is to modernize the Hallet Cove shopping centre which currently looks outdated and tired. However from memory, I think about a dozen extra shops will be added to the centre although I am not 100% sure. Overall the Hallet Cove shopping centre will only have about 50 shops.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5 Post by Ben » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:17 pm

I know that there will be a Big W there of 35,000sq m's.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#6 Post by Will » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:21 pm

I have found an article in the Messenger. This development sounds bigger than what I had anticipated. the details:

*50 new specialty shops
*One new department store
*one new supermarket
*1000 extra carparks
*$10 million fitout of the existing shops
*500 jobs will be created by the development.

Work is expected to begin in June or July and it will take about 18 months to complete.

Daniel
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#7 Post by Daniel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:54 am

Just an update from a local... the road hasn't started and the Mall has been pushed back to Jan 07.

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by littledyl16 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:33 pm

and i also know for a fact that the supermarket is going to be woolworths. and apparently they are going to block off quailo ave, my aunty got a letter a few moths ago saying that it will be blocked off and would have to find alternative means to get to the centre, probably by ragamuffin dve

littledyl16
Gold-Member ;)

#9 Post by littledyl16 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:46 pm

wait, i just found out Woolworths have pulled out, my aunty was offered the position of store manager, but they have now decided that it would be a coles supermarket instead, i have no idea why they had a sudden change, but i know the project still has not begun as yet, but im glad their building the connector rd, i can get to sheidow park easily when im in that are know!!!

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#10 Post by Redback20 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:55 am

Work started here end of last week with the demolition of the Mitre 10 area, which stood in the way of the major part of the extension which will stretch out to the NW corner of the site.
Due to open Sep 08 i believe.

I also saw site engineers at the Sheidow Park end (Berrima Rd) of the proposed connector road last week... this is slated for a June-July start and is expected to open about the same time as the shopping centre.

Marion Council have put a map of the proposed new road layout in their Autumn newsletter, which shows the new road bisecting Lonsdale south of the mall, running parallel with Shakes Cres and ending in 4 way roundabout with Quailo Ave, Zwerner Dr and Gledsdale Rd.

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

#11 Post by Redback20 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:10 am

altho this shows a 4 way intersection not a roundabout, but its marked Oct 06 so it could've changed, i 'll seek to find out.

http://www.marion.sa.gov.au/Web/webmar. ... te%203.pdf

I believe the shopping centre will expand from 8,000sq m to approx 18,000sq m so pretty sizeable upgrade. Most of this will be out towards the Ramrod Ave/Zwerner Dr corner

Redback20
Gold-Member ;)

Re: #Approved : Hallett Cove Shopping Centre $40m

#12 Post by Redback20 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:35 pm

The Connector Road is now under construction. There are large earthworks on both sides of Lonsdale Highway as well as running down the creek side towards the Sheidow Park end. Work has also started on the Gledsdale/Zwerner roundabout with Shakes Cres now fenced off from the shopping mall.

Residents will get to name the new road.

Work on the mall will start Feb-Mar acc to Makris Group

MGR
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#13 Post by MGR » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:21 pm

according to todays 'Tiser p48 - Woolworths and Big W have signed up "as major tennants"
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." - William Shakespeare (Hamlet)

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#14 Post by Will » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:12 pm

A moderator would like to change the title of this thread to U/C, as it is reported in the Messenger that construction began last week on this $50 million expansion. In a ceremony on February 29, Urban Development minister Paul Holloway, Marion Mayor Felicity-Ann Lewis and Con Makris turned the first sod. The redeveloped shopping centre will include 70 new specialty shops including an expanded food court, as well as a new Woolworths and Big W. The expansion of the centre will generate 490 new retail jobs and create 960 new carparks. Furthermore the state government has confirmed that there will be a SA Police shopfront at the centre.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #U/C: Hallett Cove Shopping Centre $40m

#15 Post by Howie » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:20 pm

Done mate.