News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
bits
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#1201 Post by bits » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:57 am

SBD wrote:The site might be some sort of SA Water facility?
Replacing the roof on the water storage facility off Grand Junction Road.
Been going on for months now.
https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/index.php ... e-250-jobs

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1202 Post by Eurostar » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 am

New Development - Ground Floor Retail Opportunity

About 1 Serafino Drive
The property offers a boutique commercial opportunity in the newly established “The Point” Estate in Noarlunga Downs. With street frontage to River Road, retailers will capitalise on maximum exposure from local residents and passing traffic.
Three tenancies available, 72sqm, 74sqm and 149sqm, or a combined area of 295sqm.
Become part of this fantastic new development and create your own unique fitout to suit your business requirements.
*Currently under construction - completion date estimated late 2018
Attachments
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (22.68 KiB) Viewed 5383 times
image4.jpg
image4.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 5383 times
image7.jpg
image7.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 5383 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1203 Post by Norman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Adelaide’s worst grandstand to get a $2.5 million makeover
Dan Jervis-Bardy, Eastern Courier Messenger
November 14, 2017 7:00pm

GOODWOOD Oval’s ageing grandstand – dubbed “one of the poorest in Adelaide” – is set to be replaced with a new clubhouse after the State Government committed $2.5 million to an upgrade.

Premier Jay Weatherill today announced funding for a major revamp of the home of Goodwood Saints and Goodwood Cricket Club.

The money will pay for work to replace the Millswood oval’s 1960s-built grandstand with a new clubroom, including female changerooms, function area, toilets and gym.

The Eastern Courier Messenger understands the project could include either a one or two-storey building – and cost up to $3.6 million – depending on final designs and funding from Unley Council.

“These clubs are such an important focal point for the community and around the inner south,” Mr Weatherill said.

“These facilities are ageing and we’ve listened to the community’s calls for an upgrade.”

The announcement is a major win for the football and cricket clubs, which this year labelled the Fairfax Ave grandstand “one of the poorest in Adelaide” and not “socially acceptable” for its growing number of female and junior players.

Those comments prompted Labor’s candidate for Badcoe, Jayne Stinson, to launch a petition calling for a new clubhouse – which attracted almost 900 signatures.

Goodwood Cricket Club life member Warwick Potts was thrilled the oval’s “embarrassing” grandstand would be rebuilt.

“I have been involved here for 25 years and nothing has really happened in that time,” Mr Potts told the Eastern Courier Messenger.

“To get a new building will be amazing for both of these clubs, which are enormous in their own right.”

Goodwood Saints president Craig Scott said the upgrade would be a win for his club and the wider community.

“It is not just us, because so many clubs play here, and when they come here now they will think ‘this is great’,” Mr Scott said.

The football and cricket clubs – which have almost 700 players between them – are expected to contribute about $30,000 to the upgrade.

Ms Stinson said the clubs would soon start work with Unley Council, which owns the oval, and the Office of Recreation and Sport to finalise designs before lodging plans.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1204 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:47 am

I smell an election in the air.

But otherwise good news for the local community. It is way overdue and sorely needed. If anyone's been there, the grandstand is an absolute piss-soaked dilapidated dump.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1205 Post by Norman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm

The development at 79 Port Road, Thebarton has been re-submitted to SCAP for assessment.

Nathan

#1206 Post by Nathan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Glenelg, where 30 car parks is more important than a pedestrian friendly space :roll:
Glenelg traders fear reducing parking spots on Jetty Rd will force businesses to close
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 9f3d5a2beb

GLENELG traders say their businesses could be forced to close if a plan to cut the number of parking spaces along Jetty Rd goes ahead.

More than 100 business owners, landlords, tenants and workers came out in force and packed the Glenelg Community Centre during an emotion-charged meeting last week.

The traders expressed strong opposition to a Holdfast Bay Council proposal to reduce parking as part of a major revamp of the Jetty Rd precinct.

Under the draft masterplan, about 30 spaces in the area would be removed to allow for wider footpaths and increased outdoor dining along the strip.

Developer and property owner Andrew Taplin, who called the meeting, said losing on-street parking around Jetty Rd would be an “economic disaster”.

“There are enough problems at the moment facing business and we want to put up another barrier to give a another reason not to come to Glenelg by removing or reducing car parking?” he said.

“The reality is, if you don’t have convenient, accessible parking, people will just go somewhere else.”

Extreme Boardriders owner Greg Payne said removing parking spots to make the street more walkable was too great a risk to people’s livelihoods.

“Businesses will close if this goes ahead,” he said.

Cheap As Chips managing director Shane Radbone said shoppers were driven by convenience.

Keeping the parks was important, he said, given the area’s growing older population.

The draft masterplan, released in September, revealed 38 carparks would be lost across the precinct — but this would be partly offset by nine new spots on Waterloo St, which would become a one-way road.

Most of the cuts are proposed for the Moseley Square end of the street.

Consultation results from the draft masterplan will be presented to Holdfast Bay councillors on December 12.

Changes could then be made before a final plan is considered in January 2018.

Traders at last week’s forum overwhelmingly voted to present their position to the next council meeting under the catchcry “carparking in the commercial district is maintained at all costs”.

However, Holdfast Bay chief executive Justin Lynch said the other aspects of the masterplan were dependent on some parking being removed.

“Our capacity to achieve the potential benefits outlined by the masterplan (including wider footpaths, greener public spaces and more trees) would be severely compromised if we were to retain all the carparks on Jetty Road,” he said.

Holdfast Bay mayor Stephen Patterson and six councillors attended the forum.

Mr Patterson told the CoastCity Weekly there had been an “overwhelmingly positive response” to removing the carparks to gain wider footpaths and increase the tree canopy.

He said the council conducted three phases of “extensive” consultation between March and November, including discussion with Jetty Rd traders.

Jetty Road Mainstreet Committee chairman Mark Faulkner was one of just two traders to vote against the “maintain the parking” demand.

He told the forum he was in favour of losing some car parking to make Glenelg a place where people would stay longer and spend more time and money.

“If we can make our precinct — and this has come from high streets in London — more of a ‘staying and strolling environment’, your economy increases,” he said.

Landlord Mark Harrington disagreed, saying: “We are not London, we are not New York.”

[Shuz]

#1207 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:45 am

Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Llessur2002

#1208 Post by Llessur2002 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 am

I would suggest that if a business situated on a busy street like Jetty Road with plenty of pedestrian activity cannot survive if 30 of the several hundred car parks in the immediate vicinity are removed then they are not suited to the environment in which they are trying to trade and should move to one of the shopping centres located on main roads like Kurralta Park or Fulham Gardens.

There are plenty of businesses that would absolutely thrive on a revamped pedestrian-focused Jetty Road :roll:

bits
Legendary Member!

#1209 Post by bits » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 pm

This forum is becoming a bit of an echo chamber for the handful of users that think all cars should be replaced with pushbikes.

Nathan

#1210 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:14 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:03 pm
This forum is becoming a bit of an echo chamber for the handful of users that think all cars should be replaced with pushbikes.
Not one person on his forum has ever said that. There are plenty who are advocates for a more holistic approach to transport that isn't completely focussed on cars and for more pedestrian and bike friendly spaces, but no one has suggested that all cars should be replaced by bikes.

This is a retail and beachfront strip, which during summer has very high pedestrian traffic. They're talking about reducing on-street parking by a mere 30 parks - the majority of which are at the beach end of Jetty Rd - for improved pedestrian space, wider footpaths, more outdoor dining, and a safer environment and improved landscaping.

There are quite a few off-street carparks within a stones throw of Jetty Rd, any of which drawfs the entire on-street capacity of Jetty Rd, let alone the 30 that will be removed.

[Shuz]

#1211 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:34 pm

Not that I'm encouraging more carparking, but if the traders are really that overwhelming concerned about it - why are they not coming up with a solution of their own?

One such compromise could be that council buys out the car park in front of Coles and builds a council-owned and operated multistory car parking facility. Win-win for both parties.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1212 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:59 pm

I think by convenience they mean that customers want to be able to park out front, pop in, purchase what they need and get out. I find if a park is free, I will stop and be in and out in 5 mins or 10 mins max. If there is no free park nearby I won’t stop (for a quick transaction). Be it a chemist, boost juice, takeaway food, Telstra, newsagency etc Having a multi level car park in a side street doesn’t cut it. That’s fine for say supermarket shopping or going to the movies.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1213 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 pm

how good is he wrote:I think by convenience they mean that customers want to be able to park out front, pop in, purchase what they need and get out. I find if a park is free, I will stop and be in and out in 5 mins or 10 mins max. If there is no free park nearby I won’t stop (for a quick transaction). Be it a chemist, boost juice, takeaway food, Telstra, newsagency etc Having a multi level car park in a side street doesn’t cut it. That’s fine for say supermarket shopping or going to the movies.
I think you, some Adelaide business owners and George Costanza are the only people who believe in the mythical ‘rockstar’ car park right out front of your destination. In my experience those parking spaces are filled by the employees of the nearby business at the start of the day and then rarely if ever rotated during the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Nathan

#1214 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:23 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:59 pm
I think by convenience they mean that customers want to be able to park out front, pop in, purchase what they need and get out. I find if a park is free, I will stop and be in and out in 5 mins or 10 mins max. If there is no free park nearby I won’t stop (for a quick transaction). Be it a chemist, boost juice, takeaway food, Telstra, newsagency etc Having a multi level car park in a side street doesn’t cut it. That’s fine for say supermarket shopping or going to the movies.
I'd expect that at the Bay Junction and maaaaaybe at the Coles — but no one should seriously be thinking of driving down Jetty Rd, getting a rockstar park outside Anderson's, and then driving home with ice creams. It's not like Jetty Rd is a through road and people are making an opportunistic stop on their way past to somewhere else.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#1215 Post by how good is he » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 pm

I think you are completely wrong in your assumptions as there are time limits to prevent the same cars being parked for long durations (as if employees would park all day on Jetty Rd etc without a fine every few hours!). It can even be done with 15 min limits to actually encourage short term car parking to turn over the parks quicker. It is no different than neighbourhood shopping centres (which there are plenty of and parking free) where you can often park directly out front and pop in/out in 5-10 mins. These often have higher turnover because of this convenience/quicker turnover. And seriously with most of the shops on Jetty Rd you are in/out in 5 -10 mins anyway.