News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Pasadena Shopping Centre Redevelopment - Multiplex

#511 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:53 am

I'm confused. Why does Target want to be at Marion, Castle Plaza, Pasadena, Unley, Adelaide and Fulham Gardens? That's a lot of stores in a fairly small area, particularly for a large department store, and I don't think Target is doing well enough to justify flooding the market with new locations. I wonder how secure their lease is at Castle Plaza....

Voice of the People
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Yatala to go for new homes

#512 Post by Voice of the People » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:18 am

Well, Mattblack, I hope you're right sooner than later. I am no fan of the opposition either, but the Labor government know better, and make decisions they know are awful on a number of fronts, but most of these are outside the scope of these forums so let's move on.

It wasn't that long ago that this government was proposing to build another gaol on this same land, and that was only averted after a concerted campaign by the locals, which pointed out amongst other things, how much more valuable the land would be for residential. And in case you think I am some bigot on anything the govt does, I actually applaud them on the overall thrust of the 30 year plan but as another example of a negative, they made a hash of Newport Quays.

What they need to understand in development is that to allow developers to come in and be greedy with poor design doesn't work as value for money for the government as far as land sales (eg Newport Quays) but where imaginative developers create livable communities, there is more money in land sales for the government (eg Lightsview).

Surely if they had sense they would support the latter but unfortunately the majority of the time, poor planning rules are robbing the government of greater return.
"Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of power is power."

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#513 Post by Pikey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:24 am

More renders:

From the outset the Pasadena Shopping Centre redevelopment was designed to reflect world's best practice in environmental sustainability. The extension includes a new 7,000 sqm mall and speciality retail shops located under an expansive ETFE roof. This roof has been designed to introduce maximum levels of light into the centre while also regulating the temperature and ventilation throughout, reducing the need for artificial lighting and air-conditioning. The South Vineyard Church has also been incorporated into the complex, allowing easy access to the Church and Auditorium situated on the second level.
http://www.hamessharley.com.au/portfoli ... hurch.html
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#514 Post by crawf » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:20 am

Wow, that looks great!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#515 Post by Wayno » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:58 am

The Dec 13 nearmap image shows the western wing just a few days prior to demolition. Right now they are excavating the site for the underground carpark.

The redevelopment will include restaurants/cafes that take advantage of the fantastic views back towards Glenelg & Port Adelaide (albeit viewing over Centennial Park Cemetery).

I believe the eastern portion (supermarket) will be retained and simply spruced up a bit.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#516 Post by Will » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:42 pm

From the Guardian Messenger:
Glenelg wave pool bid

Local News26 Jan 11 @ 06:26am by Alice Monfries

CAMPAIGN: Pro surfer Dion Atkinson, left, with Surfing SA chief executive Steve Redding at Glenelg.

THE Bay could soon become home to South Australia’s first wave-ride attraction, if a bid from Surfing SA gets the go-ahead.

The state’s peak surfing body has appealed to Holdfast Bay Council with its vision to build a FlowRider a shallow pool with a continuous, artificial wave on the Glenelg foreshore.

Surfing SA chief executive Steve Redding told last week’s meeting (Tuesday, January 18) Surfing SA wanted to demolish the former Scampi’s building and build the attraction on the site. If approved, it would be up and running by December 2011, he said.

With just three FlowRiders in Australia - two on the Gold Coast and one in Kalgoorlie - Mr Redding said the wave simulator would become a tourist attraction and provide an adrenalin-based activity, targeted at six to 21-year-olds.

He said it would attract school groups, boost tourism and introduce juniors to the sport and help develop their surfing.

``It would provide an entry-level pathway for surfing by introducing more children to the sport,’’ he said.

``We do junior lessons on the beach at Glenelg, but we just don’t have waves here.’’

Mr Redding said the attraction would be all-weather, with wind-protective sides and a removable cover in winter, and could cater for single or double riders.

``Because it’s all-weather, even when there’s a howling south-westerly, school groups can still use it and it’s an opportunity to increase traffic to local businesses in winter,’’ he said.

Mr Redding told councillors the former Scampi’s building, which was again up for lease, was dated and required major refurbishment.

``It doesn’t enhance the precinct of Glenelg and has had multiple failed businesses in the past,’’ he said.

The Guardian Messenger reported in September that the prominent restaurant had been taken over by the managers of the nearby Salt Bar, who had planned to open a high-class steak and seafood restaurant, named 1836.

Holdfast Bay chief executive Justin Lynch said the 1836 consortium had written to the council and withdrawn its interest in leasing the building.

Mr Lynch said the council had been seeking expressions of interest for the lease and was now negotiating with interested parties.

``Discussions of a commercial nature will be held in confidence until a final offer can be considered by (the) council,’’ he said.

Hoping for an endless ride

A WAVE-RIDE attraction at Glenelg would help boost junior surfing in Adelaide, local pro surfer Dion Atkinson says.

The 24 year old, who is one of SA’s highest-ranked surfers, has ridden the wave machine, known as the FlowRider, on the Gold Coast and in South Africa.

He says more children would be introduced to the sport if Surfing SA’s bid to bring one to the Bay is successful.

``They’re great fun pretty amazing little machines,’’ Atkinson says.

``Anything that can introduce a kid to a surfboard and give them a taste would be great.

``The bigger picture would be to have a surf school running out of there and tie it in with lessons on the beach, so they could have a go on the FlowRider, and then try in the ocean as well.’‘

Atkinson, of Seaford, teaches surfing at Glenelg over summer and says while its lack of waves can be an advantage for beginners, the adrenaline rush a FlowRider offers will entice more young people to try the sport.

``For the young ones, Glenelg as a pathway is great, especially targeted at kids aged five and up because despite the lack of waves, the worst thing you could do is chuck them in the deep end in big waves where they get pushed around,’’ he says.

``But I know so many guys that live in Adelaide and have to go driving out to the Mid Coast and the West Coast to go surfing.’‘

He says a FlowRider will be attractive to wakeboarders and surfers.

``For anyone who has to trek to the river to go wakeboarding, this will be really great for them as well,’’ he says.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#517 Post by Omicron » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:41 pm

That's one thing that Adelaide is yet to appreciate properly - the views from the south. Eventually, Darlington, Various Seacombe Somethings-or-other, Pasadena et.al. will achieve the recognition that they truly deserve for the brilliant views that they possess.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#518 Post by crawf » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:08 am

Sounds good to me!

Pants
VIP Member
VIP Member

#519 Post by Pants » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:04 am

I think the second set of renders is outdated, with the open mall now looking like the second render in the first post.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#520 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:10 am

how much does a Flowrider cost?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#521 Post by mattblack » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:32 am

Will wrote:From the Guardian Messenger:

With just three FlowRiders in Australia - two on the Gold Coast and one in Kalgoorlie - Mr Redding said the wave simulator would become a tourist attraction and provide an adrenalin-based activity, targeted at six to 21-year-olds.
Hookers, Gold and a flowrider, no wonder its a tourist mecca ! :D

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#522 Post by Wayno » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:13 am

Wayno wrote:how much does a Flowrider cost?
good question Wayno, here's the Kalgoorlie story. See here and below:
The (Kalgoorlie waveloch) agreement states that the terms of payment shall be:
· Phase I – order …. $275,000 (US) upon execution of agreement
· Phase II – prior to delivery …. $220,000 (US) upon presentation of documents for shipping
· Phase III – operation …. $55,000 (US) payable upon completion of commissioning
This is for purchase and commissioning of the wave machine only. This cost does not include peripherals, of which i presume there will be many. So definitely heading towards a million bucks overall...

stumpjumper
Legendary Member!

#523 Post by stumpjumper » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:36 pm

If Labour is really that bad and have no respect then why have they been in power for so long?
Labor has been in power for so long because tit has become a machine for winning elections. That expertise is Labor's strength and its weakness.

Obviously, all parties want to win elections that but usually for reasons to do with the ideas that drive them - not just to win.

Almost every Labor player today, from a pamphlet distributor to a paid hack, is focused on winning. For most of Labour, the election become the whole game. All strategy and tactics is about winning elections - developing policy for the 'peace' is an afterthought. Similarly, once the election is over, the Labor leaders flashed around by the strategists during the campaign find themselves mere appendages to the machine. The hard-working strategists and back room crew settle themselves into comfortable positions as chiefs of staff, senior advisers etc, from where they will plot and crunch numbers for the next 'round' - the next election. But there's not much for the elected representatives to do.

After the election, the elected members don't have much to say. They say little because they are instructed by the election winners not to express opinions. Any displayed belief in anything might upset someone and endanger votes.

There isn't much support for this state of affairs in the community. Most people I meet are desperate to hear a politician say something with meaning. It doesn't happen - just the endless games playing. Has there ever been a bigger gap between the people and those who are supposed to represent them?

As to Yatala, I spoke to my pal at Planning SA. Holloway is waiting on a final report from a consultant before making a decision. They wouldn't name the consultant, but it may well be Connor Holmes, doing their neat trick of advising a consortium of developers and simultaneously advising Mr Holloway, yet avoiding any conflict of interest by some means known only to them but perfectly acceptable to the government.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#524 Post by Will » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:30 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
If Labour is really that bad and have no respect then why have they been in power for so long?
Labor has been in power for so long because tit has become a machine for winning elections. That expertise is Labor's strength and its weakness.

Obviously, all parties want to win elections that but usually for reasons to do with the ideas that drive them - not just to win.

Almost every Labor player today, from a pamphlet distributor to a paid hack, is focused on winning. For most of Labour, the election become the whole game. All strategy and tactics is about winning elections - developing policy for the 'peace' is an afterthought. Similarly, once the election is over, the Labor leaders flashed around by the strategists during the campaign find themselves mere appendages to the machine. The hard-working strategists and back room crew settle themselves into comfortable positions as chiefs of staff, senior advisers etc, from where they will plot and crunch numbers for the next 'round' - the next election. But there's not much for the elected representatives to do.

After the election, the elected members don't have much to say. They say little because they are instructed by the election winners not to express opinions. Any displayed belief in anything might upset someone and endanger votes.

There isn't much support for this state of affairs in the community. Most people I meet are desperate to hear a politician say something with meaning. It doesn't happen - just the endless games playing. Has there ever been a bigger gap between the people and those who are supposed to represent them?

As to Yatala, I spoke to my pal at Planning SA. Holloway is waiting on a final report from a consultant before making a decision. They wouldn't name the consultant, but it may well be Connor Holmes, doing their neat trick of advising a consortium of developers and simultaneously advising Mr Holloway, yet avoiding any conflict of interest by some means known only to them but perfectly acceptable to the government.
sadly I have to agree with this. The once great Labor party, a party that actually believed in a fair go for everyone, not just the rich, has unfortunately become a soul-less machine that believes in nothing.

I'm interested in politics, and being on the left of the political spectrum it was only natural that I would attend a meeting of the local ALP branch with a couple of similar minded friends to see if it was for us. After just one visit I became completely dissillussioned with the party. The right faction has completely taken over and silenced all discussion. The members of the right act like mindless robots whom vote against every motion presented by the left faction simply for the sake of it. And this included some good motions. Furthermore to waste time the right comes up with ridiculous motions such as "the SA ALP congratulates the Australian cricket team for winning against Pakistan" There is no discussion or even criticism of the government allowed. If people want to progress within the party they have to vote and say as they are told. This is no environment for the growth of new ideas or new policies. No wonder the public is tired of them. The public wants less arrogance and more policy.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#525 Post by peas_and_corn » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, if I'm in error please move.

Tea Tree Gully has released a draft strategic plan for comment. Attached.

One note: TTG population will only increase by 5000 by 2031????
Attachments
Draft_Strategic_Plan_2011_2015_For_Consultation.pdf
(671.56 KiB) Downloaded 132 times