News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
bmw boy
High Rise Poster!

Re: Development at Camden Park

#151 Post by bmw boy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:23 am

the one just across the road from this developement looks pretty good.

Edgar
Legendary Member!

Re: Development at Camden Park

#152 Post by Edgar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:48 am

Norman wrote: Image
For some reason, the old block of building at the background looks like something we see from Iraq or Afghanistan :D
Visit my website at http://www.edgarchieng.com for more photos of Adelaide and South Australia.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: $3.5m city tower

#153 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:28 pm

More news on this one from the March 5 Eastern Courier. Sorry about large image
peace-tower.JPG
peace-tower.JPG (759.79 KiB) Viewed 4928 times
The location is 189-190 Greenhill Rd Parkside.
peace-tower-location.JPG
peace-tower-location.JPG (23.65 KiB) Viewed 4901 times
Cross your legs, palms gently together and breath out "Oooohhmmmmmm"
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#154 Post by Mants » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:35 pm

theyre building it on the murder house!

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#155 Post by Wayno » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:36 pm

Mants wrote:theyre building it on the murder house!
hahaha :lol: that's hilarious! i wonder if they know the history?
Slight change in quote from my previous posting ==> Cross your legs, palms gently together and scream out "Arrrggghhhh"
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#156 Post by Howie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:06 pm

Sounds like this group has a bit of money to splash around. Having a re-think about it, i don't see a problem with it... you see multi-million dollar churches, temples and mosques around the city that probably costs much more than this... they should be afforded with the same rights as any other religious group.

Professor
High Rise Poster!

#157 Post by Professor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:10 pm

I wonder if they will have a decent sized freezer installed?

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#158 Post by JamesXander » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Any tower is good, haha.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

Re: Happenings on Unley Road

#159 Post by Maximus » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:50 pm

The new office block is now more or less finished. Telstra have relocated from the Unley Shopping Centre (just down the road) to the ground floor corner office and appear to be open for business. I thought this was an interesting move, too, seeing as there has been an Optus store for many years barely 50m further south.

As for the office block itself, I think it's pretty terrible. Very out of character for the area, although doesn't look quite as what I thought it might be during construction. The car dealership, however, looks fairly speccy and is definitely an improvement to what was there before.

The biggest missed opportunity, though (IMHO), was for Council to acquire a very small amount of land and realign that intersection. For those not familiar with the area, this is the intersection of Wattle Street and Park Street. The streets don't quite meet in a perfectly lineal fashion, which means the traffic light setup is arguably not ideal. If possible, Council should have used the opportunity to 'straighten up' the intersection, which would have made it more user-friendly and, perhaps therefore, safer.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#H/D: Lochiel Park (Campbelltown) | 100h | 4.5ha

#160 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 am

I've been watching this being graded and having its services being laid down for a while now shooting past on the O-Bahn. I searched for it on SA but it seems to have been looked over so far.

It's meant to be different than your average subdivision. One thing in that it's in the inner suburbs (Campbelltown, and on the Torrens Linear Park). But its claim to fame is that it's meant to be a showcase for an ecologically sustainable development and has been backed by Premier Rann. 10 of the 15 hectares are being developed into wetlands and village park areas, leaving only 4.5 hectares to be allocated for housing. The third point is that the 100 homes are meant to be showcasing leading edge architectural designs with a sustainability focus.

Took me a couple of passes by in the bus to memorise the URL on a sign...
http://www.lochielpark.com.au

Check it out there's a lot of interesting propaganda on their website regarding the parks, facilities and sustainability technologies.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: U/D Lochiel park subdivision, Campbelltown.

#161 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:13 am

I've seen it as well, as a regular on the O-Bahn. Sag Hallo naechtes mal, ich habe Lederhosen an. :lol:

In terms of PT, they will be well-off, but having the buses go past all the time might be annoying after a while.

urban
Legendary Member!

#162 Post by urban » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:57 am

I couldn't see on their masterplan where the nearest O'Bahn stop is. Is their a stop nearby? The planning does not seem much different than standard suburb planning and certainly seems a long way from Transit Oriented Development planning. Hopefully the housing will be of high ESD quality because the planning (wetlands aside) does not appear to be particularly conducive to alternative transport means.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#163 Post by Norman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:22 am

From the website:
Transport

Providing easy and accessible transport links within Lochiel Park has been a key element in the design phase of the site. Cycling and walking trails will link the urban forest and the adjacent River Torrens Linear Park and provide better connection to the existing public transport system including the Obahn. The nearest Obahn stop is approximately 1.5 km to the south at Klemzig and it provides secure bike lock facilities.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#164 Post by monotonehell » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 am

Norman wrote:From the website:
Transport

Providing easy and accessible transport links within Lochiel Park has been a key element in the design phase of the site. Cycling and walking trails will link the urban forest and the adjacent River Torrens Linear Park and provide better connection to the existing public transport system including the Obahn. The nearest Obahn stop is approximately 1.5 km to the south at Klemzig and it provides secure bike lock facilities.
Translation: Public Transport from here is a bit shit.

Yeah I noticed that the site...
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=-34.8781 ... =0&src=ggl
...is a long way from anything PT wise. Looks like they're car centric still. :(
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

urban
Legendary Member!

#165 Post by urban » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:59 am

It is generally accepted in planning circles that people are prepared to walk 400m to access light or heavy rail and 200m for buses. Given the efficiency of the O-Bahn I imagine people would treat it more like light rail but that still leaves the O'Bahn stop at least 1.1 km too far away. How far away are the nearest shops and services? This is another half hearted urban design effort surrounded by excessive layers of Green wash and hype.