News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Adeguy72
Gold-Member ;)

Centro Colonades

#691 Post by Adeguy72 » Sun May 20, 2012 10:09 am

Does anyone have any news on the about to begin addition of a Harris Scarfe home store to Centro Colonades?

Is it part of a redevelopment of the centre, or are they taking over the lease of a vacant store - maybe Cheap as Chips?

kinnoda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#692 Post by kinnoda » Sun May 27, 2012 2:56 am

http://www.97grange.com.au

10 new townhouses on Grange Rd. Decent public transport access, close to the city.

I'm a big fan of these medium-density development. They might not be high-rise but they do concentrate population centric to services which in turn encourages retail growth in some areas. Current site is occupied by one house. Even if each new dwelling only had one resident, this is still ten people on a block compared to - I think the average now is about 2.5?
planningandurbandesignaus.tumblr.com

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#693 Post by RayRichards » Sun May 27, 2012 6:35 pm

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/real-esta ... 6359396466

Part of a article from Murdoch's Mob...
PROSPECT Rd is fast becoming the place to be and is attracting shoppers from across the city, retailers say.

Cafe Komodo owner Melanie Miller's customers come from all over Adelaide.

"I've had people coming from Semaphore, Unley, North Adelaide," Ms Miller said. "We're not trying to be a King William Rd or a Parade. The locals are using the street more rather than travelling to other areas."

Ms Miller said the demographic in the area was changing and a younger crowd was gravitating towards Prospect.

"Since the (footpath) upgrade there's more shops coming in and obviously the place looks fantastic," Ms Miller said.

"The majority of it is making the street more accessible and having fashion shops and other restaurants are bringing punters down our little alleyway."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing this shopping strip needs though is a pub, slap bang right in the middle of it. It seems Prospect was founded by the Quakers, with the lack of a pub on that stretch. (Yes I know, there is one further north in Kilburn, but do the Prospect trendies want to be seen there???) :wink:

Cheers.

Ray.

eslampar
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Kilkenny TOD

#694 Post by eslampar » Wed May 30, 2012 10:46 am

weekly-times-messenger wrote:600 homes planned in Kilkenny development

RESIDENTS have backed a plan for a 600-home housing development, specialty shops, a childcare centre and community garden at the former Bianco Precast site next to Kilkenny Station.

The plans, which are yet to be lodged with Charles Sturt Council, include a number of two-storey townhouses and a five-storey apartment complex on Pinda St...
http://weekly-times-messenger.whereiliv ... velopment/
Last edited by monotonehell on Wed May 30, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: gave a bit of context for the URL

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Kilkenny TOD

#695 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed May 30, 2012 1:36 pm

For archiving purposes:
600 homes planned in Kilkenny development

(30 May 2012)

RESIDENTS have backed a plan for a 600-home housing development, specialty shops, a childcare centre and community garden at the former Bianco Precast site next to Kilkenny Station.

The plans, which are yet to be lodged with Charles Sturt Council, include a number of two-storey townhouses and a five-storey apartment complex on Pinda St.

Peter Tepavcevic, who lives next door to the 4ha former industrial site, said the housing development would add value to the area and give the suburb a chance to grow.

“At the moment it’s an eyesore, so I fully support the development because it would bring people back to the area, ” Mr Tepavcevic, 41, said.

John Komazec, 34, of Wilpena Tce, said he would back the plan if it dealt with traffic problems.

“It (traffic) is a nightmare at the moment. There are too many cars and trucks that speed in this area and use these back streets as a shortcut,” he said.

Kilkenny resident Jane, 40, who did not give her last name, also supported the proposal, she but wanted the community to be actively involved.

“It would be great to make the most of that open space but I really don’t want to see tacky, overcrowded buildings,” she said.

Site owner Peter Gregg last month approached more than 40 residents at a street-corner meeting with his proposal to redevelop the vacant land.

An informal vote held at the meeting showed most residents present were in favour of the development.

Mr Gregg told residents the development would also include a footbridge over the railway line, a cycling corridor along the electrified train-tram line and a park-and-ride to the south of Kilkenny Station. He could not be contacted for further comment.

Croydon MP Michael Atkinson backed the plan, saying the community would be consulted through the design and construction stages.

Charles Sturt Council chief executive Mark Withers said the council had not yet received an application or preliminary plan to develop the site.

Mr Withers said the industrial land would need to be rezoned to residential before any work could start.

The policy change, which would take into account building height, access and open space, could take more than two years to complete, he said.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

Re: Centro Colonades

#696 Post by pushbutton » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:19 am

I think most likely it will be in the retail park near the public transport interchange, rather than inside the mall.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#697 Post by Wayno » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:29 pm

I read in one of today's newspapers (can't remember which one - i browsed the Fin Review, Advertiser & Australian at my local cafe) that the State Govt has bought the Magill Rd Caroma building with the intent of redeveloping into a high-density residential district.

The site ticked a sufficient number of boxes (from the 30 yearr plan perspective) to warrant buying today - close to CBD, on a main transit route, etc. If i remember rightly Caroma will remain tenants for the next 4 years or so.

Anyone have a link to the article?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Nathan

#698 Post by Nathan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:49 pm

Interesting. I wonder how that will go being next to the Alma. I live nearby in Stepney, and you can hear the music loud and clear of a night (since it's played out through the beer garden), so hate to think what it would be like immediately next door.

If they're looking for large disused sites near the city for high-density development, they should also look at the Korea Town building on North Tce, Kent Town.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#699 Post by Wayno » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:00 pm

I walked past The Grand last Saturday morning and thought "hmmm, It really could do with alfresco dining". 4 days later and this gets announced:

http://guardian-messenger.whereilive.co ... l-planned/
$10m Grand overhaul planned

A BEACHFRONT alfresco dining area with a retractable roof is among the Stamford Grand's plans for a $10 million upgrade.

Managing director Graeme Goldberg said the overhaul would help revitalise the Bay because in Glenelg "all roads lead to the Grand'. I think we are obligated to make sure it's kept as a trophy property and a beacon for the area, drawing people not just from the city but from around South Australia and overseas,'' he said. "The resurrection of the Grand is going to help all the shops in Jetty Rd.''

Mr Goldberg said plans had been lodged with Holdfast Bay Council for the outdoor dining area, which would seat up to 50 people and provide a comfortable area for smokers.

Horizons cocktail bar is undergoing a $250,000 nautical-themed transformation, including old portholes and ship lights, and 32 new Chesterfield lounges and new carpet, to be finished within a month.

"It's the right feel for the room given it's right on the beach,'' Mr Goldberg said.

The Moseley Square entrance will be reconfigured so guests can walk through to the lobby without having to go through the front bar. There will be a cafe and three other new ground-floor shops inside the hotel, possibly selling souvenirs and clothing.

About $300,000 will be spent recarpeting areas including the lobby and its central staircase, as well as the Grand Ballroom.

Mr Goldberg said millions of dollars would be spent upgrading all 220 rooms and suites.

The swimming pool area would get a $200,000 "spruce-up'' including new furniture, tiling and painting, he said.

New boilers and air-conditioners also will be part of the project.

"The hotel needs a lot of spit and polish and a total upgrade to bring it back where it should be,'' Mr Goldberg said.

Work is expected to be completed by the end of February.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#700 Post by Ben » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:29 pm

From the Messenger:
Hyde Park office plans refused again

25 Jun 12 @ 09:30am by Emily Griffiths

A MULTI-MILLION dollar development proposed for Hyde Park has been rejected by Unley Council for the second time this year.

The council's Development Assessment Panel has refused a proposal by the Duke Group to build a three-storey, 11.6m-high office and shop at 175-177 King William Rd.

The proposal featured four shops and showrooms, with offices on the upper levels.

The panel said the building would have exceeded the two-storey limit set down for the area and would have been out of character with its surrounds.

Panel member Lissa van Camp said the proposal was at odds with the development plan.

"It does look great, but I don't think it's great for this location," Dr van Camp said.

The panel's presiding member, Terry Tysoe, agreed.

"When you look at the elevations of it, it does stick out, and it will change the character of the street."

But Cr Rob Sangster, one of three members who supported the proposal, said the building was well designed and would have been well used.

The panel rejected an earlier proposal for the site in February.

An appeal against the DAP's latest decision has been lodged with the Environment, Resources & Development Court.

The Duke Group did not respond before the Eastern Courier Messenger deadline.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#701 Post by Wayno » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:18 pm

i like the beach hut idea. Will bring more colour & texture to the seafront. The bike hire idea is also good - although you should be able to hire at the beach and leave the bike in the city, or vise versa.

From AdelaideNow
BEACH huts at Grange and Henley are part of Charles Sturt Council's plan to attract revelers this summer.
beach-huts.jpg
beach-huts.jpg (61.04 KiB) Viewed 4635 times
The huts, which are popular at Portsea beach in Victoria, have never been trialled at an Adelaide beach and the council has set aside $10,000 to buy and place them at places like Henley and Grange.

Charles Sturt chief executive Mark Withers said the beach huts would help promote a holiday feel at the beaches.

"We hope that visitors into the city will identify with Charles Sturt through these beach shades and (they) will attract more people to our coast," Mr Withers said.

He suggested Grange and Henley beaches as the best location for the huts.

A report on the cost and design of the beach huts will be complete by mid-2013.

Also, set to be trialled in Charles Sturt Council is free bike hire.

Under the scheme already running in the Adelaide CBD, people can borrow a bike and helmet for free from council offices and backpacker hostels.

As part of the one-year trial, 10 bikes will be available for hire in the western suburbs.

Charles Sturt Mayor Kirsten Alexander said the free bike hire trial would encourage people from across the state to ride along the coast and linear park.

"Ideally people could ride all the way down from the city and along our coast," Ms Alexander said.

She suggested the best place for people to hire the bikes would be at Henley Square or from Henley Library.

The council has yet to decide when the trial will begin.

Bowden resident Tabitha Wallis-Smith, 38, supported the idea.

"This is a great area for bike riding because of the Linear Park track and I would love to see more people riding bikes," she said.

claybro

#702 Post by claybro » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Does anyone know what is proposed for the former Electrolux factory site at Beverley (City of Charles Sturt)?. It has recently been levelled and is a huge chunk of vacant land in a densley built up suburb. I do not recall seeing anything about a developement in this area?

fishinajar
High Rise Poster!

General Suburban Projects & Discussion

#703 Post by fishinajar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:35 pm

I believe it is going to be split up as an industry park of sorts. Shame for such a large single site to be broken up imo

Port Adelaide Fan
High Rise Poster!

Re: Centro Colonnades

#704 Post by Port Adelaide Fan » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Harris Scarfe to re-open a smaller store at Centro Colonnades

HARRIS Scarfe plans to open a homewares outlet at Centro Colonnades, in Noarlunga Centre, before Christmas as part of nationwide expansion.

The outlet will be the second HS Home store in SA, after Gepps Cross, and will employ 20 staff.

Harris Scarfe managing director Joe Barberis said agreement with Colonnades management was reached on Monday, and he expected to open in December.

more

claybro

#705 Post by claybro » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:41 pm

At the intersection of Port Road/Park Tce tonight could not help but be impressed by how much liverlier and colourful this part of Adelaide is now. With the Entcenter extension, tram, new cafes on Port Rd etc, this whole area is really moving along even before the clipsal TOD. I did think however that Channel7 could do something more imaginative with it's display facing the intersection. A billboard and small ticker display? Would have thought it is a prime spot for a large screen advertising their shows or whatever. Would really add some interest to this already lively spot.