News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#751 Post by Eurostar » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Wow The Promenade extension is coming along now, a roof is being installed over University Parade, is the bus stop area remaining or moving?

Also I noticed today the Target at Sefton Park has been renamed Target Outlet

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Infill Developments | Metropolitan Adelaide

#752 Post by AG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:56 pm

First stage of The Square at Woodville West is now complete, with realigned road on approach to the Albert Park level crossing.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#753 Post by ml69 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:52 pm

Who'd have thought that 4 storey apartments would be built in Woodville??

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#754 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:11 pm

ml69 wrote:Who'd have thought that 4 storey apartments would be built in Woodville??
It's Woodville West ;)
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#755 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 am

Felt constructive, so I made this. A quick five-minute, rapid fire critique of the major problems of the Woodville West Square development.

Here's the link, that might help as well: http://i49.tinypic.com/34hz2mv.jpg

[Shuz]

#756 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:20 am

ChillPhilly, that street which you have critiqued, I believe looks more of a service road/laneway? Surely in this day and age of urban planning, if that is an actual street they couldn't have got it that horribly wrong?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#757 Post by mattblack » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 am

[Shuz] wrote:ChillPhilly, that street which you have critiqued, I believe looks more of a service road/laneway? Surely in this day and age of urban planning, if that is an actual street they couldn't have got it that horribly wrong?
Correct. Its for rear laneway access to carports for the appartments.

[Shuz]

#758 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:32 am

In all fairness, than that's a better service road than most. It's sole purpose is just that, to provide service access for cars, garbage trucks, courier vans and the like. Its priority is the needs of transport & freight logistics and hence, their very nature requires them to be designed differently and respond to the streetscape differently than a neighbourhood street. Whats required to make a service road function best oft is the opposite of whats required to make a neighbourhood street function best.

You cannot have one without the other. Ying and yang. Its what makes great neighbourhoods and cities work.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#759 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:06 pm

They've put that service road in the worst location then; all proper front doors open outwards of the development. The important thing to consider now to make The Square function in the way its glossy brochures set it out to, is to make sure people jump on a train to work from the site. The moment someone uses a car to commute to town or whatnot, is the moment it will become dead.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#760 Post by Vee » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 am

AG wrote:Video in relation to the Inner Metro Growth Plan:

There are videos for other council areas here: http://www.youtube.com/user/DTEISouthAust?feature=watch
I picked up a 'Have Your Say - High Rise Coming your Way Soon' letter from two Burnside Councillors at my local Mitre10 on the weekend. It provides some information and a map re Ministerial Inner Metropolitan Growth Development Plan Amendment.

The emphasis appears to be on high rise. The title of the letter certainly conveys an impression designed to colour a view.

"Burnside Council will send a formal response to the Minister's proposal. In the meantime, we believe it is important that you, as a resident, are made aware of this proposal and what it could mean for your suburb."
We also encourage you to make a submission to the State Government by 22February 2013."

For further details ... http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/planning/innermetrogrowth

My recollection is that most councils have embraced the opportunity to increase residential densities and alternative accommodation choices with medium and (some) high densities and improve services along certain main roads in the inner metropolitan areas. However, Burnside Council has been the recalcitrant. Is this view correct?

How many will visit the website, view the video, consider the alternatives including endless urban sprawl and provide feedback? I will.

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#761 Post by Maximus » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:11 pm

More than 200 people at meeting to discuss building heights on Greenhill and Fullarton roads
Emma Altschwager
Eastern Courier Messenger
January 31, 201310:35AM

A PROPOSAL to allow 10-storey apartment blocks on Greenhill and Fullarton roads has enraged Burnside residents.

More than 200 people packed the Burnside Ballroom last night for a meeting about the State Government's proposal to increase building heights along roads bordering the parklands.

Planning Department executive - and former Burnside head planner - Andrew Grear was jeered as he fielded questions for almost two hours.

continues...
Jeering? Wow, that's mature. Next they'll be stamping their feet and bursting into tears. :roll:

Apartment living either side of the Parklands is exactly what's needed to ensure that they're actually used.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

Nathan

#762 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:46 pm

Residents from Dulwich, Rose Park and Eastwood expressed concerns about overshadowing, traffic and parking problems, children's safety and property devaluation
Re: overshadowing, have they not even looked at the plans? The allowable height falls back very quickly from the street frontage. As for children's safety and property devaluation - why don't they say what they're really thinking - "poor people are going to move into our exclusive suburb" (no matter how inaccurate that is).

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#763 Post by peas_and_corn » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:52 pm

People sit out the front of their houses?

Waewick

#764 Post by Waewick » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:42 pm

did anyone read the Eastern Courier this week?

i was so angry....i did nothing :(

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#765 Post by peas_and_corn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:09 pm

But children are fighting building height! It means it's a bigger problem!