News & Discussion: Other Metropolitan Developments

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: News & Discussion: Metropolitan Developments

#766 Post by monotonehell » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:38 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:But children are fighting building height! It means it's a bigger problem!
Children are at the behest of their parents, I think what little journalistic integrity that local rag had was just lost.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#767 Post by Ben » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Indaily
Manhattan on the Torrens

Friday, 8 February 2013

MADNESS has gripped the Norwood, Payneham and St Peters Council.

They have thrown the eastern suburbs into complete disarray with their plan to allow high-rise on Linear Park.

Well, maybe not quite high rise, but still – huge, massive, buildings of… well … four storeys.

Adelaide Now reports, we imagine almost breathlessly, that a petition against the move has been flooded by residents opposed to the move.

The number of signatures? Fifty.

The Outsider bets you could find more than 50 people in the council area who believe they have been abducted and probed by aliens.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#768 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm

Ben wrote:Indaily
Manhattan on the Torrens

Friday, 8 February 2013

MADNESS has gripped the Norwood, Payneham and St Peters Council.

They have thrown the eastern suburbs into complete disarray with their plan to allow high-rise on Linear Park.

Well, maybe not quite high rise, but still – huge, massive, buildings of… well … four storeys.

Adelaide Now reports, we imagine almost breathlessly, that a petition against the move has been flooded by residents opposed to the move.

The number of signatures? Fifty.

The Outsider bets you could find more than 50 people in the council area who believe they have been abducted and probed by aliens.

...and that rag's journalistic integrity just rose a little.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Infill Developments | Metropolitan Adelaide

#769 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:18 am

If they had a front veranda, yes. Especially in a chiefly residential suburb. But the generic Legoland developments that have invaded Australian cities generally exclude a good veranda.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#770 Post by claybro » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:59 pm

peas_and_corn wrote:People sit out the front of their houses?
Assume you've not driven through Davoren Park latey? They practically have all their worldly possesions out the front.

ChillyPhilly

#771 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:12 am

I'll probably start a thread for the Woodville TOD later on, haven't found a dedicated one; but I'll ask in here for now.

Did anyone sent in a submission on this?
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Rene
Gold-Member ;)

#772 Post by Rene » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm

From AdelaideNow today:
Plympton residents fear four-storey housing will ruin their suburb
A FOUR-STOREY height limit for new developments in Plympton will destroy the suburb's character, some residents fear.

West Torrens Council has proposed increasing Plympton's height limit and allowing medium density housing as part of its council-wide Development Plan Amendment (DPA).

A group of Lindsay St residents fear the increase from its present two-storey maximum would ruin the suburb's character, increase traffic and lead to a loss of privacy.

Reg Betts, who has lived in Plympton for 52 years, said the suburb would struggle to cope with extra residents.

"Higher density housing will bring extra people and extra traffic and I don't think Plympton can handle any more pressure," he said.

Mr Betts urged residents to examine the proposal and lodge a submission with the council before community consultation ended on Friday (February 22).

Bruce and Joy Kendall moved to Plympton five years ago, drawn by its streetscape.

"I would expect our property prices will be devalued with the introduction of higher density housing," Mr Kendall said.

The DPA is part of the State Government's strategy to prepare Adelaide for population growth in the next 30 years.

Six-storey developments would be allowed in Keswick and Kurralta Park.

Height limits would rise to eight storeys on Anzac Highway.

West Torrens Mayor John Trainer said the council would consider the residents' views in preparing its official response to the State Government.

``However after the council responds to the State Government, it is then up to the State Government to decide whether our suggestions are accepted,'' he said.

The council has so far received 46 submissions about its DPA.

Comment on the DPA to [email protected] or West Torrens Council, Housing Diversity DPA, 165 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton 5033.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#773 Post by crawf » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:57 pm

Four stories isn't tall...

Some of these people need to join the 21st century.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#774 Post by AG » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 pm

There's already buildings along Anzac Highway that are upwards of four storeys, most of them are hardly noticeable. I fail to see the misguided hysteria out of some quarters.

[Shuz]

#775 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Actually, if you read through the West Torrens Council's Housing Diversity DPA - all along the tram corridor has been rezoned medium density - 4 storeys maximum with the potential for 5 storeys if certain land amalgamation criteria are met. The whole of Plympton - this is not just along Anzac Highway and other main roads, but in the 'suburbs' proper is now medium density. My best friend's house is directly affected by these changes, and unfortunately bears the brunt of now living in an Urban Corridor Zone which permits 8 storeys maximum, again with the potential for 10 storeys if certain land amalgamation criteria is met. Keswick has also been rezoned high density, 6-8 levels.

These aren't just small changes, these are big, significant changes which will impact on people's livelihoods. I am an advocate for higher density living, but some of these changes actually border on the extreme. You can't just go rezoning entire neighborhoods and suburbs to 4 storeys. There is a big difference between the loss of amenity from a 2 storey townhouse being built next door, to a 4 storey apartment block. I hope that common sense prevails and that development is encouraged and centered around profile intersections and arterial roads first, and built up a bit at least before developers start eyeing out suburbia and if they're cunning enough, meet the amalgamation criteria; and start building 5 storey apartments in the middle of suburban streets.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#776 Post by monotonehell » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:54 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Actually, if you read through the West Torrens Council's Housing Diversity DPA - all along the tram corridor has been rezoned medium density - 4 storeys maximum with the potential for 5 storeys if certain land amalgamation criteria are met. The whole of Plympton - this is not just along Anzac Highway and other main roads, but in the 'suburbs' proper is now medium density. My best friend's house is directly affected by these changes, and unfortunately bears the brunt of now living in an Urban Corridor Zone which permits 8 storeys maximum, again with the potential for 10 storeys if certain land amalgamation criteria is met. Keswick has also been rezoned high density, 6-8 levels.

These aren't just small changes, these are big, significant changes which will impact on people's livelihoods. I am an advocate for higher density living, but some of these changes actually border on the extreme. You can't just go rezoning entire neighborhoods and suburbs to 4 storeys. There is a big difference between the loss of amenity from a 2 storey townhouse being built next door, to a 4 storey apartment block. I hope that common sense prevails and that development is encouraged and centered around profile intersections and arterial roads first, and built up a bit at least before developers start eyeing out suburbia and if they're cunning enough, meet the amalgamation criteria; and start building 5 storey apartments in the middle of suburban streets.
That's pretty much the definition of NIMBY isn't it?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#777 Post by Norman » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Jut because the limit is 4 or 5 stories doesn't mean all of them will be that size. That will depend on market demand for such buildings. If there is no demand, they won't be built. But at least we have opportunities now to have more freedom in constructing buildings, which can only be a good thing if you want to increase investment.

mattblack
Legendary Member!

#778 Post by mattblack » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:30 am

monotonehell wrote:
[Shuz] wrote:Actually, if you read through the West Torrens Council's Housing Diversity DPA - all along the tram corridor has been rezoned medium density - 4 storeys maximum with the potential for 5 storeys if certain land amalgamation criteria are met. The whole of Plympton - this is not just along Anzac Highway and other main roads, but in the 'suburbs' proper is now medium density. My best friend's house is directly affected by these changes, and unfortunately bears the brunt of now living in an Urban Corridor Zone which permits 8 storeys maximum, again with the potential for 10 storeys if certain land amalgamation criteria is met. Keswick has also been rezoned high density, 6-8 levels.

That's pretty much the definition of NIMBY isn't it?
Shuz, I gather your still an Urban Planner in waiting yet as soon as these changes effects one of your mates your suddenly up in arms.

I can only hope you don’t have many friends otherwise half of the metropolitan area would be deemed inappropriate for future development under your own definition.

[Shuz]

#779 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am

Yes, I am an aspiring urban planner and currently studying Urban & Regional Planning at university.

Let me state for the record, that I, personally, am not against increasing housing density in our neighbourhoods. What I am against is how these changes are being implemented, and that there has been insufficient consideration and compromise given for the majority of people who are either, reluctant to welcome such extensive changes, and most importantly, that they would be unaware of these changes. My best friend and her family weren't aware until I told them.

If it were me that was affected by these changes, I would welcome it. I understand the need for increasing density in our city as a means of providing a more sustainable living environment for future generations. However, that is my view only. I am sure that a few of my neighbours would hold a different view. One thing we are taught as Urban Planners is the need to be considerate of others, and not just our own self-interests. Zoning and development changes should be made appropriately - not en-masse. This isn't SimCity.

I belive there has been an oversight and people haven't actually read what I've said.

... development (should be) encouraged and centered around profile intersections and arterial roads first, and built up a bit at least before developers start eyeing out suburbia...

If I may present a case in example:

I refer you to Page 84 of Part 3 Maps of the Housing Diversity DPA which can be found at the following link -
http://www.westtorrens.sa.gov.au/Buildi ... _documents
Scroll down to Part 3 - Maps and click the link provided.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=plympton, ... 3,,0,10.81

This is the intersection of Cross Terrace and Wood Street in Kurralta Park - one of several hundred low-density residential suburban streets in the Plympton, Kurralta Park and Keswick areas which have now been rezoned medium density, potentially allowing developments of 4 storeys, and in some cases, 5 storeys. These homes are 700m from the nearest arterial road, Anzac Highway. I do not believe that there is a need to rezone these areas.

Now you might argue that, well at this location, these homes are only literally down the street from the K-Mart and Coles shopping centre on Anzac Highway, and therefore that justifies rezoning the entire neighbourhood to medium density because it's 'within' walking distance and more people means they'll use that particular centre, therefore increasing economic activity and so on and therefore that can only be a good thing. Yes, I agree - but given the distance of the example location above; I don't believe this to be an appropriate justification. Anyone who knows the area would agree that the Kmart/Coles shopping centre is a local destination, on a large allotment which has potential for higher-density development. The site has been appropriately rezoned to an Urban Corridor, permitting 8 levels, potentially 10, as a means of increasing housing density.

At this very present moment in time, I believe that rezoning for that site and the adjacent allotments is more than adequate enough. It should have just been left at that, and the existing low-density zoning arrangements for the surrounding neighbourhood left in place. Creating hot-pockets of density, if you like. Until such time comes where and when the particular site(s) in this example have been developed and the housing density increased, then you review the situation again at changing the zoning for the particular site(s) and increasing the housing density of adjacent allotments. Baby steps.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

peas_and_corn
Legendary Member!

#780 Post by peas_and_corn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:57 pm

claybro wrote:
peas_and_corn wrote:People sit out the front of their houses?
Assume you've not driven through Davoren Park latey? They practically have all their worldly possesions out the front.
I... cannot think of a single reason why I would want to go there.