News & Developments: Tonsley

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
metro
Legendary Member!

Re: Mitsubishi Tonsley Site

#31 Post by metro » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:03 pm

Super Tafe = UniSA Tonsley Campus? :P

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#32 Post by Wayno » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:27 pm

BenJ wrote:This seems quite different from the previous plan of making the area a hub for new green industries though.
yep, agree - although it seems the Opposition & The Advertiser have acquired this information before Labor wanted it released - so we need to wait for Rann to respond with a formal announcement. I'm betting it will be colocation of TAFE & Hi-Tech Green Industry.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#33 Post by Norman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:31 pm

I think they're throwing together a few ideas at the moment of what the site can incorporate. I mean, it's a massive site that be used as a multi-purpose site for education, green technologies and innovation. Clovelly Park and Mitchell Park might become medium density if this does eventuate, and the Tonsley/Flinders Line can be upgraded to service those centres. Maybe an idea for another vision?

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#34 Post by Pikey » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:01 pm

As a resident of Mitchell Park, I am very excited for this kind of development, and really looking forward to seeing what comes of it all. The area has gone a massive change since we bought and built in 2005 with huge increases in value, and I'm sure this will only help that situation too.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#35 Post by fabricator » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:14 pm

Actually those huge carparks aren't going to be needed for anything besides a car plant or a massive shopping centre. So I'd expect some of it to get built over.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#36 Post by AG » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:25 pm

One imagines that the Darlington Transport Study that is taking place will now need to take account for any plans for the former Mitsubishi factory site as well.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#37 Post by Omicron » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:21 pm

metro wrote:Super Tafe = UniSA Tonsley Campus? :P
Haha!

skyliner

#38 Post by skyliner » Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:03 pm

AG wrote:One imagines that the Darlington Transport Study that is taking place will now need to take account for any plans for the former Mitsubishi factory site as well.
I think I might have mentioned something to that effect a few posts ago - so definitely agree.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#39 Post by fabricator » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:16 am

Gauvin to build data centre in old Mitsubishi plant.
http://www.itnews.com.au/News/169204,ad ... entre.aspx
Tier 5, a company owned by hosting pioneer Marty Gauvin, plans to build a data centre in Adelaide on the site of the city's abandoned Mitsubishi car factory.

Tier 5 is in negotiations with the South Australian Government to lease the 4000 square metre facility and land immediately around it (to a total of around 15,000 square metres), attracted by the prospect of a 25 mW substation located on-site.

The South Australian Government purchased the site from Mitsubishi last year after the Japanese company pulled out of manufacturing in Australia the year prior.

Gauvin, founder of Hostworks before departing the company last year, expects to squeeze in between 500 and 1000 racks into the data centre. This would make the data centre ten times the critical load of Hostworks' Kidman Park facility.

Customers will be offered an average of up to 15kW per rack.

At 4,000 square metres, the data centre would be only one-sixth the size of Sydney's Global Switch and slightly smaller than Brisbane's Polaris or both buildings at Sydney's Equinix, but it will easily be the largest data centre in South Australia, according to Gauvin.

Gauvin told iTnews he planned to build a modular data centre using new pods custom built by Dell DCS (Dell Data centre services), whose small number of customers around the world include Facebook and Microsoft's new data centre in Chicago.

The Adelaide data centre will be designed such that rather than simply caging off sections of the server room floor to different clients, every service provider that leases space will have its own door and branding into a pod.

Tier 5 will offer these whitelabelled pods to wholesale providers such as ISPs, outsourcers or very large clusters of Government departments or corporations.

"We won't be selling anyone a single rack," Gauvin said. "We'll only sell to those service providers that want to lease a considerable chunk of space."

Gauvin said he expected the data centre to have a power utilisation efficiency (PUE) rating (ratio of total power consumed by the total power used by the load) of 1.2, due to the Dell DCS design and free cooling.

"For a long time data centres have been designed around people and mainframes," he said. "I'm not likely to have much of other - we won't need to cool a lot of the space."

A prototype of the modular data centre units to be rolled out at Tier 5's centre will arrive in Australia in May.

Gauvin said Tier 5 aimed to build similar data centres in six other Australian cities, as well as expanding into the Middle East and mainland China.

"There are 68 markets in the world where data centre supply actually meets demand, and Sydney is one of them," he said. "Everywhere else, there are lots of poorly-maintained old facilities and people standing around waiting for somebody to invest. Our view is that the only way you succeed is to get cooperation from as many of these people at possible."

Tier 5 has bid to be on the New South Wales Government data centre panel.

Interesting how they want the entire factory and some of the land around it. I can't see them making much use of the nearby train station though, server technicians tend to drive everywhere due to having to carry lots of equipment.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Wilfy 2007
High Rise Poster!

#40 Post by Wilfy 2007 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:31 am

Hi,

Whats the chance of a TOD at the Tonsley Station to cater for the development at the Mitsubishi site.
Is it possible, be great to live and work within walking distance.
Maybe the Housing Trust could build a devolopment around the Station.
Pie in the Sky or not.
Regards,

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#41 Post by Norman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Wilfy 2007 wrote:Hi,

Whats the chance of a TOD at the Tonsley Station to cater for the development at the Mitsubishi site.
Is it possible, be great to live and work within walking distance.
Maybe the Housing Trust could build a devolopment around the Station.
Pie in the Sky or not.
Regards,
The whole area used to be housing trust (does that even exist anymore?) and has been developed into a middle-class suburb over the last 10 years or so. I doubt they would be going back for an all-out low income housing development.

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#42 Post by Pikey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:02 pm

There is still some housing trust, but it's getting knocked down daily.

Now that there are houses being sold for anywhere between $450-$600K in Mitchell Park, I have been told that there is more money to be made for the department in land sales rather than free to low rental houses.
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

skyliner

#43 Post by skyliner » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Pikey wrote:There is still some housing trust, but it's getting knocked down daily.

Now that there are houses being sold for anywhere between $450-$600K in Mitchell Park, I have been told that there is more money to be made for the department in land sales rather than free to low rental houses.
In response to the bold - when I was in Adelaide in January someone took me through Michell Pk showing the transformation of the area from housing trust - rapidly disappearing for much better housing - whole suburb has a diiferent feel to it now. Till then it struck me as dry, dusty and tired. May have overall impact on the Tonsley line.

SA - STATE ON THE MOVE
Jack.

Stubbo
Gold-Member ;)

#44 Post by Stubbo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:07 am

As someone who lives in Mitchell Park, the older style attached housing trust places are being gradually removed with newer detached homette's (not sure of exact acurate description) with three of these homettes taking over the land space of the former attached dwellings. I dont know how many of these are still housing sa, but there are quite a few of these newer dwellings which are housing sa run and are built to ensure disabled access etc.

Being close to the tonsley station, I would be pretty happy if the train line was extended to Flinders connecting the uni and hospital to the rail grid, enabling the vacant land near the Sturt Police Station and the old Sizzler/Lonestar Restuarant being converted to a TOD. That train line is very convenient and a huge source of frustration running only during the week and not after 6pm (from adelaide).

With a train line at the back, access to Marion and South Roads, the Mitsubishi site is prime land and I am interested to see what will eventuate.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#45 Post by Will » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:58 pm

From the SA Labor youtube account:
The Rann Government intends to establish a Sustainable Technologies Precinct at Tonsley Park, to provide a hub for innovative companies in advanced manufacturing, clean tech and environmental industries. It could also provide for an education, training and research hub, a Transit Oriented Development and a main street and town centre, which will be at the heart of the precinct.

The site will also demonstrate worlds best practice in green building. The development of the site will incorporate re-cycling and low carbon footprint principles, utilising state of the art technology and design for power generation, water recycling and building design.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BdNr9TeolU[/youtube]