News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#451 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Mall revamp hopes.

PORT Mall traders hope the centre’s sale will trigger an upgrade of the site, which could include homes in buildings up to five storeys high.

http://messenger.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#452 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:14 pm

Govt building to return Port Adelaide to "former glory"

The State Government says a new office building to accommodate 500 relocated public servants will help return Port Adelaide to its "former glory".

About 500 public servants are to be transferred into the building after construction is finished, expected in early 2018.

Minister for Infrastructure and Urban Development Stephen Mullighan announced this morning that the Government had awarded the tender for the construction to developer epc.Pacific.

“The State Government has prioritised the renewal of Port Adelaide to return this unique and historic precinct to its former glory, and these projects will help to further grow and regenerate the area,” Mullighan said.

“Port Adelaide is going well at the moment … we’re seeing the old pubs being refurbished and re-opened, we’re seeing new businesses start up.

“We’ll have a wide cross-section of government [employees] down here.”

The Government has yet to finalise which public servants will be transferred to the Port from the city and other locations.

But Mullighan said the Government was interested in transferring bureaucrats from the departments of Premier and Cabinet, Transport, Agriculture, Environment, Renewal SA and Service SA into the building.

Mullighan said construction – which would support about 275 jobs – was expected to begin within two to three months.

The building, planned for the corner of Nile and Robe Streets, is to be owned by epc.Pacific, and the Government will lease the office space.

The construction remains subject to Development Assessment Commission approval.
http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2016/0 ... mer-glory/

Nathan

#453 Post by Nathan » Fri May 20, 2016 12:35 pm

So not the JPE proposal from the previous page? :?

Dvious
Legendary Member!

#454 Post by Dvious » Fri May 20, 2016 12:45 pm

I personally like this much more than the JPE proposal!

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#455 Post by crawf » Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm

I like it aswell

ghs

#456 Post by ghs » Fri May 20, 2016 1:34 pm

Looks good but I am sorry to say this but one new building isn't going to rejuvenate Port Adelaide.
Last edited by ghs on Fri May 20, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zippySA
High Rise Poster!

#457 Post by zippySA » Fri May 20, 2016 2:44 pm

Agree one building doesn't regenerate the port - but let's be positive - 500 new workers moving into a decent looking building goes a long way to win-win I should think. Should stimulate some small businesses, improve confidence for additional developments etc. And in a rare move (if you ignore those staff who may not be thrilled at being re-deployed down to the Port - but it is the public sector so I'm sure those who don't want to go will find a way to be re-assigned to something else in town that suits) the government may even come out better off over the life of the lease deal than having them in CBD. I wouldn't support this as a general principle of decentralising - to my knowledge that has always been a disaster, but as a unique case, seems like a fairly good result.

metro
Legendary Member!

#458 Post by metro » Fri May 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Terrible ground-floor street front, just glass walls behind a garden bed. Also do not like that it is raised above ground level, those steps wont be very attractive to the disabled :roll:

Looks like a typical early 21st century government building.. in 20 years it will probably be just as ugly as the late 20th century government buildings.

I expect a better architectural standard for new buildings in the Port.

PeFe

#459 Post by PeFe » Fri May 20, 2016 4:00 pm

zippySA wrote:Agree one building doesn't regenerate the port - but let's be positive - 500 new workers moving into a decent looking building goes a long way to win-win I should think. Should stimulate some small businesses, improve confidence for additional developments etc. And in a rare move (if you ignore those staff who may not be thrilled at being re-deployed down to the Port - but it is the public sector so I'm sure those who don't want to go will find a way to be re-assigned to something else in town that suits) the government may even come out better off over the life of the lease deal than having them in CBD. I wouldn't support this as a general principle of decentralising - to my knowledge that has always been a disaster, but as a unique case, seems like a fairly good result.
Agree totally with what you have written.
The NSW government used a similar strategy in the regeneration of Parramatta in Sydney, moving public service offices out of the Sydney CBD to create economic activity in "chosen" areas.....and this has worked well.
Paramatta is currently experiencing a construction boom (40 and 50 storey apartments blocks, not expecting this in Port Adelaide though)
Hopefully quite a few of those public servants might decide to move to be close to work, maybe even to the Port Adelaide town centre itself.
Every time I have been down at the Port, more old pubs have closed which is sad because the chance of them returning is not good.
But a good step 1, hopefully further development will follow quickly.

claybro

#460 Post by claybro » Fri May 20, 2016 4:20 pm

Great news for the Port, now how about the state government provide some low cost co- loans to subsidise the workers wanting to live near their workplace. Would help encourage the employees to be 24 hour citizens.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#461 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed May 25, 2016 2:37 pm

But I can't access it because I am not subscribe.
Big bucks roll in for Port projects.

THE Port is being pumped with millions of dollars worth of investment not seen since the 1980s — including a new project announced today.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 9b1cb5577f
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Llessur2002

#462 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:39 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:But I can't access it because I am not subscribe.
Neither am I. But I know a man who is. At least I know his log-on credentials... :wink:
Port Adelaide pumped with big projects worth millions of dollars

PORT Adelaide’s inner harbour is being transformed by a historic wave of multimillion-dollar projects such as hasn’t been seen for decades.

Custom House building at Commercial Road, Port Adelaide is to be transformed.

In the latest project, revealed today, the historic Customs House buildings, which have been empty for 25 years, will be transformed into an art gallery and hospitality complex under a $2.5 million upgrade.

The waterfront developments — the most significant investment in the Port since the 1980s — centre around the prominent lighthouse and includes a $38 million office tower and a $25 million, five-storey hotel complex.

The State Government is also set to announce, within weeks, plans for 40ha of waterfront land to be split into six parcels, after it was put on the market 12 months ago, to spur $2 billion worth of investment.

The six parcels of waterfront land in the Port’s inner harbour.

Port Adelaide developer Hans Ehmann will convert the two buildings at the old Customs House complex on Commercial Rd into art galleries, a microbrewery, cafe and function centre.

Mr Ehmann said the plan for the Customs House and the adjacent Institute building would be completed once the State Government’s $38 million office tower at Port Adelaide was finished in 2018.

Artist impressions of the proposed State Government office building at the corner of Nile and Robe St, Port Adelaide.

“I think when people realise they can go inside and have a look inside it, it will bring hordes of people down here,” Mr Ehmann told the The Advertiser. “People will also like eating, drinking and having a good time — so I think it will bring lots of people down.

“But it depends on the State Government offices being built because if there are 500 public servants it will happen sooner rather than later.”

Mr Ehmann will submit plans to the State Government and the Port Adelaide Enfield Council once the office building is halfway through construction. A microbrewery and restaurant similar to the Lady Burra Brewhouse in Topham Mall, would be on the ground floor of The Institute, with alfresco dining along Commercial Rd.

Artist impressions of the Quest apartments in Port Adelaide.

The cafe would also extend to the basement of the building.

The ground floor of the old Customs House building on the corner of North Pde and Commercial Rd will be turned into rooms for artists to exhibit their works.

Xaragmata

#463 Post by Xaragmata » Tue May 31, 2016 2:58 am

Pics from last week:

Quest plus site for new building:

Repairs to B/head Bridge - eastern footpath was closed:

Shared path across Jervois Bridge:

New information / street signs in Commercial Rd / St Vincent St:

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#464 Post by Honey of a City » Tue May 31, 2016 10:02 am

Great photos thanks Xaragmata. The red iron structure in the first pic was the control tower for the old Jervois Bridge, which was a steam-driven swing bridge. Thankfully it was retained when the bridge was re-built, but ended up being re-erected in an obscure section of the car park behind the Fishermans Market shed.
Hoping it gets a more prominent location either in the new development or elsewhere befitting it's former status as an iconic symbol of the old Port.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#465 Post by Allkai » Tue May 31, 2016 10:42 am

Honey of a City wrote:Hoping it gets a more prominent location either in the new development or elsewhere befitting it's former status as an iconic symbol of the old Port.
It is to be re-located to somewhere on Nile St I believe, don't know exactly where.