News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#571 Post by PeFe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 am

Proposal to build a fish market at Port Adelaide........the really bizarre fact is that there is no fish market there now......at a major port.....
The Sydney Fish Markets is a really good example to follow, wholesale fish market and a tourist attraction in its own right.

From The Advertiser
Port Adelaide study shows $60m fish market could create 300 jobs and be a tourism drawcard

A $60 MILLION fish market in Port Adelaide has taken a huge leap forward with the release of a feasibility study that shows it could create more than 300 jobs and become a tourism drawcard.

The $15,000 study into the construction of a fish market at Dock Two found the site had the “potential to provide an industry-defining seafood precinct” with wholesale, commercial, retail and tourism businesses opportunities.

The council is now asking for a $10 million State Government investment in the first stage of the fish market, which could begin by 2020 if it is included in the master plan for development at Dock Two.

The overwhelmingly positive study — conducted by a private consultancy firm and funded by Port Adelaide Enfield Council and the State Government’s Northern Economic Plan — is the first step towards including the fish market in Dock Two’s master plan.

In its own report to councillors, the council says the feasibility study shows the market could be a considerable tourism drawcard for the area. “The fishing industry in South Australia is worth $2.2 billion and this investment would go a long way to securing a sustainable and profitable industry for decades to come,” it says.

“The Fish Market will also assist to activate the maritime precinct and support residential developments at Dock One.”

The study says the development of the fish market would take place in three stages.

The first would be the construction of the actual fish market, which would provide an outlet for 850 South Australian fishing companies to sell their produce.

The second stage would be a seafood restaurant and the third an exporting facility.

The council will now discuss the results of the study with Renewal SA, the State Government agency overseeing Port Adelaide’s redevelopment, in a bid to have the fish market included in the master plan.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... dcf8e22d78

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#572 Post by monotonehell » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:07 am
Proposal to build a fish market at Port Adelaide........the really bizarre fact is that there is no fish market there now...
There used to be. It was moved to near Torrens Island and has been operating there ever since. (At least I think it's still operating. I haven't been there in years.)
http://www.portenf.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=707&c=18664
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#573 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:20 pm

They was talking about moving the Torrens Island Market to Fletcher’s Slip and that is why one of the old shen was not bulldozed.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#574 Post by Honey of a City » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:26 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:20 pm
They was talking about moving the Torrens Island Market to Fletcher’s Slip and that is why one of the old shen was not bulldozed.
Sadly the problem with Fletchers Slip is insufficient parking, especially with the new housing developments soon to commence around it. This is not a problem over at Dock 2 as there are massive open areas adjacent, plus the now defunct fertilizer factory site next door. Dock 2 is also the proposed site for the relocation of the City of Adelaide ship, and the development of associated maritime history attractions and food outlets. If the proposed re-opening of the old Port Adelaide rail line was also extended over to Dock 2, (or even a tram service linking with Semaphore and the railway station) we'd have a mighty tourism hub as well as a booming fish market at the Port, well serviced by public transport, parking, road and pedestrian access.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#575 Post by crawf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm

Decent makeover and expansion planned for the Port Canal Shopping Centre.
Precision Group C/- Masterplan
200 Commercial Rd, Port Adelaide

The Redevelopment of the existing Port Canal Shopping Centre – partial demolition of the shopping centre and ancillary structures, construction of retail and commercial tenancies, food court, mall entranceways, canopies, service lanes, loading docks, and associated car parking.

The Scooter Guy

#576 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:05 pm

crawf wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:10 pm
Decent makeover and expansion planned for the Port Canal Shopping Centre.
Precision Group C/- Masterplan
200 Commercial Rd, Port Adelaide

The Redevelopment of the existing Port Canal Shopping Centre – partial demolition of the shopping centre and ancillary structures, construction of retail and commercial tenancies, food court, mall entranceways, canopies, service lanes, loading docks, and associated car parking.
Does this mean demolition of the former Super K Mart from 1986?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Abwolf
Gold-Member ;)

#577 Post by Abwolf » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Looks like it's staying - mall built into the front in the existing car park

http://saplanningcommission.sa.gov.au/_ ... elaide.pdf

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Nathan

#578 Post by Nathan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Doesn't look like any attempt has been made to better connect to the railway station, or have a frontage on any of the surrounding roads. It'll be even more of a car parking moat than it is currently.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#579 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:04 am

Nathan wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:06 pm
Doesn't look like any attempt has been made to better connect to the railway station, or have a frontage on any of the surrounding roads. It'll be even more of a car parking moat than it is currently.
Agree Nathan. Looks like a cookie cutter suburban shopping mall in a sea of asphalt with no improvement to access and no reference to its surroundings. Big lost opportunity if it goes ahead as per the application.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#580 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:52 am

I agree it should be better integrated with it's surrounds. However design-wise, it's actually quite good.

Llessur2002

#581 Post by Llessur2002 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm

From today

Last edited by Llessur2002 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#582 Post by crawf » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Wow I didn't even realise this was even underway.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#583 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:05 pm

Port shopping centre upgrade approved
NEW plans for the long touted $12 million upgrade of a Port Adelaide shopping centre have been approved by the state’s main planning authority.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 7b9404571f
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#584 Post by rev » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm
From today

Where/what's this one now?

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#585 Post by Honey of a City » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:13 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 pm
Llessur2002 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:32 pm
From today

Where/what's this one now?
It's the State Govt office building corner Nile and Nelson Sts, next to the Quest. There are some great renders on page 32 of this thread. Going up very quickly too.