News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Message
Author
User avatar
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Over here
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#841 Post by rogue » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:43 am

A shed that no one saw value in for thirty years finally making way for progress. Hooray!

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#842 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 pm

rogue wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:43 am
A shed that no one saw value in for thirty years finally making way for progress. Hooray!
Yeh hooray! Come on down to the Port folks and dance in the wreckage!

If no-one saw value in it why wasn’t it bulldozed years ago with the rest of the Port waterfront? It was always meant to be retained for re-use and that suddenly changed in December last year.

Let’s be the vision-free laughing stock of the grown-up harbour cities all round the world, including Sydney, Freo and Hobart who’ve proved that adaptive re-use and progress as mutually inclusive, a win-win.

User avatar
ChillyPhilly
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 323 times
Contact:

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#843 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:55 am

Bowden is a good current local example of reusing buildings.

Shed 26 is now a missed opportunity. The development, for its own sake, has lost a unique marketing point.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1661
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 197 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#844 Post by Patrick_27 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:12 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:55 am
Bowden is a good current local example of reusing buildings.

Shed 26 is now a missed opportunity. The development, for its own sake, has lost a unique marketing point.
Apparently buildings made predominately out of metal don't hold as much historic merit as those made from bricks and mortar.

User avatar
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Over here
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#845 Post by rogue » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 pm

Yeah, metal and asbestos.

JAKJ
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 199
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 2:29 pm
Location: KTA/ADL ex PER/CNS/LA/SH
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#846 Post by JAKJ » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:40 pm

rogue wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:00 pm
Yeah, metal and asbestos.
Can fix asbestos. Newport quays and now "dock one" both look like generic suburban density projects which will age terribly and our children will curse us for destroying the Port Heritage and building such crap, much as we lament the generations before us for ripping down the exhibition centre to build the Ligertwood building, the SA Hotel for the Stamford or many buildings of character for multi story car parks (this all to common practice is the most unforgivable).

If we were getting a spectacular architecturally designed public facility that paid homage to the Port and its' history, then sure - make the argument. We aren't however, we are getting generic vomit inducing townhouses crammed in as tight as possible using the same dull shitty designs that they use in lights view or whatever suburban future-ghetto they seem to be rolling out in abandon around Adelaide.

User avatar
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Over here
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#847 Post by rogue » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:26 pm

Im not sure a sawtooth shed is in the same league as your suggestions, but ok, whatever floats your boat.

Keep the shed or demolish it. I dont care. For me, it has no significant impact on the Port other than potentially blocking development of a site that has looked like the same desolate wasteland for over 30 years (88 OConnell St comes to mind). And yes, a little more design creativity wouldnt go astray.

Who should pay for remediation and refurbishment, do you suggest the taxpayer or people buying into the new development?

And dont think that Adelaide is special, the same shitty suburban future ghettos are happening all across this fine country

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#848 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:40 pm

rogue wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:26 pm
Im not sure a sawtooth shed is in the same league as your suggestions, but ok, whatever floats your boat.

Keep the shed or demolish it. I dont care. For me, it has no significant impact on the Port other than potentially blocking development of a site that has looked like the same desolate wasteland for over 30 years (88 OConnell St comes to mind). And yes, a little more design creativity wouldnt go astray.

Who should pay for remediation and refurbishment, do you suggest the taxpayer or people buying into the new development?

And dont think that Adelaide is special, the same shitty suburban future ghettos are happening all across this fine country
Who paid for Plant 4? Who paid for Tonsley? Who paid for the Hobart Docks, Wooloomooloo Dock, Walsh Bay? Private enterprise and governments who respected heritage and had the vision to retain and adapt built symbols of our commercial, working and social history. Fast forward to current and recent SA Governments and a WA-based developer, whose joint so-called “public interest” is in making or saving a quick buck, and we’re all the poorer. And actually Adelaide is special, especially the Port, and could be even more so, but is in danger of slipping into the sludge of mediocrity if the prevailing attitudes refuse to grow up.

User avatar
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Over here
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#849 Post by rogue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:34 am

Or maybe we could remain in the same state of procrastination due to a debate over a shed.

Central Port Adelaide character remains. These sections of Glanville and Birkenhead remain fenced off and uninspiring.

What happens when residential development ultimately drives out Adelaide Brighton Cement? Do we protest again to save the leftover monstrosity because it has been an integral part of "The Port" since 1882?

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#850 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:45 am

The branded fenced off sections around Fletcher’s Slip are almost all pre-sold according to the developer. And pre-sold with Shed 26 in situ and no concept plans announced for its replacement. The argument put by the Minister that the whole development is jeopardised by the adaptive redevelopment of the Shed 26 site is very hard to understand, given that purchasers will have lodged deposits and been given an indicative completion date. Re the cement works - the site wasn’t offloaded to them by the government for $2.00, it’s a successfully functioning industry and has announced it has no plans whatsoever for closing down or relocating. Also the centre of the Port is the inner harbour. That’s the whole point. Its waterside built heritage has been almost completely obliterated, and here’s one of the last opportunities to acknowledge that heritage and develop a unique symbol of continuity for the locals and an attraction for tourism.

User avatar
rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:45 am
Location: Over here
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#851 Post by rogue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 am

This whole thing reminds me of an argument happening in many households:

And old piece of clothing sits in the wardrobe doing nothing for "x" amount of years because the owner either refuses to throw out or believes that it will come back into fashion.

The partner is cleaning out the wardrobe, comes across said article and confronts the owner about what to do next. Owner insists on keep clothing only to return in another 10 years to find the same piece, in the same place and with only moths getting any joy from it.

Keep fighting the fight JAKJ and HoaC. Hopefully in another 10 years we can all be enjoying the built form of this area, whatever that looks like (with or without shed).

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#852 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:04 pm

rogue wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:17 am
This whole thing reminds me of an argument happening in many households:

And old piece of clothing sits in the wardrobe doing nothing for "x" amount of years because the owner either refuses to throw out or believes that it will come back into fashion.

The partner is cleaning out the wardrobe, comes across said article and confronts the owner about what to do next. Owner insists on keep clothing only to return in another 10 years to find the same piece, in the same place and with only moths getting any joy from it.

Keep fighting the fight JAKJ and HoaC. Hopefully in another 10 years we can all be enjoying the built form of this area, whatever that looks like (with or without shed).
Cute analogy Rogue, but what an individual decides to do with their favourite old sweater isn’t of much consequence to future generations. It’s sad that the world-wide practice of adaptive re-use is such an alien concept to lazy governments and muscle-flexing developers and property councils. But as you say, the fight will go on. Come on down to the Port and enjoy it in 10 years by all means. Hopefully by then it won’t be re-named Westlakes 2.0, or more fittingly, Porpoise Spit. And if you look carefully between the townhouses you might even see the heritage icon Deidre Chambers.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1661
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA
Been thanked: 197 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#853 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:23 am

Rogue, do you mean to come across as condescending in your pov?

rev
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3865
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm
Has thanked: 247 times
Been thanked: 351 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#854 Post by rev » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:00 pm

lol, derelict tin sheds full of asbestos now count as heritage.

This whole argument revolves around keeping something old around for the sake of keeping it around because we've lost actual old buildings or structures that were worthy of being kept because of their architectural merit, and since this pile of crap full of hazardous materials doesn't represent any architectural merit, the focus is shifted to "oh it used to be used for local industry once".

Should we keep the abandoned industrial site at Kilkeny next to the train line and turn that into a tourist attraction too? Same logic/argument.


The Port could have been so much more, a real attraction and draw card for locals and tourists alike. But nope, you wanted suburbia. Now you're getting it. :banana:

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 66 times

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelai

#855 Post by Honey of a City » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:22 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:00 pm
lol, derelict tin sheds full of asbestos now count as heritage.

This whole argument revolves around keeping something old around for the sake of keeping it around because we've lost actual old buildings or structures that were worthy of being kept because of their architectural merit, and since this pile of crap full of hazardous materials doesn't represent any architectural merit, the focus is shifted to "oh it used to be used for local industry once".

Should we keep the abandoned industrial site at Kilkeny next to the train line and turn that into a tourist attraction too? Same logic/argument.


The Port could have been so much more, a real attraction and draw card for locals and tourists alike. But nope, you wanted suburbia. Now you're getting it. :banana:
The whole argument is nothing of the sort. Architectural merit is only one of the seven categories which are used to list for the Heritage Register. If anyone would like to comment from a knowledge base rather than their own aesthetic they might go to the SA Heritage Council site and become informed of the heritage assessment process. Sadly though the Government, pressured by the developer and developer lobbyists are gung ho for the suburbia you lament Rev, and we’re all the poorer for it. Nobody, that is, nobody is advocating for the ‘pile of crap’ to be retained as is, but instead for the form to be retained and a development built within and around it which is of benefit to locals and a magnet for visitors. Instead we’re likely be getting a few ticky tacky dwellings on its footprint. Yes the Port could have been so much more, but this heritage-bashing precedent by our government in favour of ‘public interest’ (code for quick $) has the potential to obliterate the remaining symbols of this once proud gateway to our city and its prosperity.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests