News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#586 Post by rev » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 pm

Oh cheers didn't even realise. I see the top of the markets building now in the background.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#587 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm

New rail line
Trains back into the heart of the Port
Rolling by train to the heart of Port Adelaide on a new 1km rail spur line is one step closer with builders releasing the first animation of the experience. SEE HOW IT WILL LOOK

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-24/p ... ur/8648778
Last edited by I Follow PAFC on Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#588 Post by Kasey771 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm
New rail line
Rolling by train to the heart of Port Adelaide on a new 1km rail spur line is one step closer with builders releasing the first animation of the experience. SEE HOW IT WILL LOOK

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 3f1b80e703
So no actual station building? What happens when the wind blows and the rain comes? Cut price development :(
Also.no overhead wires??
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#589 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:40 pm

The video is now accessible on YouTube: https://youtu.be/85TogIUhfPQ

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#590 Post by Norman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
I Follow PAFC wrote:
New rail line

So no actual station building? What happens when the wind blows and the rain comes? Cut price development :(
Also.no overhead wires??
Well, considering there are no solid electrification plans for the line, there wouldn't be a need for the overhead. Hopefully the station is designed to allow overhead in the future.

On the wind factor, that is a downfall that the station has no shelter from that, but they are always the first to be vandalised. DPTI have always opted for very low maintenance stations. On the other hand, the museum's location should protect people from the strong westerlies.

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#591 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:26 am
So no actual station building? What happens when the wind blows and the rain comes?
In all fairness, very few stations in Adelaide have active buildings anymore – even brand new Bowden won’t nor, I think, will Oaklands. I can understand the reasoning behind it from back in the day with manned ticket offices etc but nowadays it’s just an expense that in most cases couldn’t be justified.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#592 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Port Dock Railway Line.
https://www.infrastructure.sa.gov.au/pu ... ilway_line

Port Dock Railway Line Animation Fly through.
Last edited by I Follow PAFC on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#593 Post by Eurostar » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:57 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
New rail line

Would look cool if it was underground with a park at ground level

Algernon
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#594 Post by Algernon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:57 pm

So much money has been wasted at the Port due to a lack of clear strategic planning for the area. That new spur line will go to an area earmarked for residential development. Sounds good on paper. Except that it's the last area functioning as some sort of seaport that "justified" the hideous expense of an opening bridge to the port. $178 million dropped in to a howitzer right there.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#595 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:38 am

I still think there should have been a Station building. The Port is a Tourst area. They could have had a tourist 'office' at the station. Mr/Mrs Tourist gets off the train and thinks..what is there to do here?, goes to tourist office counter in the station picks up some brochures...starts a self guided walk etc. A wasted opportunity because they've gone for an el cheapo tram stop type train 'station' :cry: :cry:
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#596 Post by Norman » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am

Information offices don't have to be in buildings, they can set up trucks, stands and the rest of it. When I travel I have very rarely (if at all) gone to a tourist office when visiting another city. Most people find the information online or at the hotel these days.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#597 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:08 am

Norman wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:05 am
Information offices don't have to be in buildings, they can set up trucks, stands and the rest of it. When I travel I have very rarely (if at all) gone to a tourist office when visiting another city. Most people find the information online or at the hotel these days.
fair enough, but what cant be explained away is it looks to be just another, slightly fancier, newer, "second-hand bus shelter on an elevated platform" train 'station' which is not the type of infrastructure needed to attract users tothe network. I'm so sick of the road network getting gold-plated solutions and the PT network being fed scraps :(

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#598 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:57 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
New rail line

That seems like a counter intuitive idea? If you mean for commuters to drive into the Port, park and ride - wouldn't that cause congestion without any benefit?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#599 Post by Eurostar » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:10 am
Eurostar wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:57 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
New rail line

That seems like a counter intuitive idea? If you mean for commuters to drive into the Port, park and ride - wouldn't that cause congestion without any benefit?
I dont mean carpark I mean a park for families to enjoy with benches, playground, let food trucks set up nearby or just a square to create an interesting entry point and meeting place.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#600 Post by monotonehell » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:57 pm
I dont mean carpark I mean a park for families to enjoy with benches, playground, let food trucks set up nearby or just a square to create an interesting entry point and meeting place.
OH! Haha cool. :D
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.