News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Mpol03
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#691 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:06 pm

What is the other big waterfront?

I always saw this proposal as a bit of a kick starter. There are apartment developments going up in the Port but as a whole, the land value is still quite low. A development of this nature would help to increase the land value of the area and thus kick-start furthermore exciting development.

I could be totally off though. In which case, this is a little bland, yes.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#692 Post by how good is he » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:33 pm

This one Mpol03, from the cedarwoods.com.au website:

The South Australian Government has selected Cedar Woods as preferred proponent to purchase the North West and Fletcher’s Slip precincts of Port Adelaide’s inner harbour. The site is located 14 kms North West of the Adelaide CBD and 1.5km from Semaphore beach.

The development of the 12.6 hectare site will be predominately residential, with approximately 500 homes across the two precincts with a mix of two and three storey town homes and some low rise apartments.

Cedar Woods will be working with Renewal SA over the next six months to undertake due diligence investigations and develop a master plan in consultation with the community.

So here’s your chance people to add your input...

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#693 Post by rev » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Our input isn't going to stop them from creating another generic suburb with cut and paste townhouses.

Port Adelaide needs high rise. It needs hotels, it needs apartments. It needs bars, restaurants, cafes etc along the water front.

If they could, they should open up the lake around Delfin Island/West Lakes to the Port River properly, and out through Tennyson into the Gulf, and create a 'fast' ferry service along our metro coast line. Upgrade the jetties and create a berthing at each one for passengers to embark and disembark. Hell if the Torrens River was a proper river system you could run a ferry all the way back into the CBD and Zoo.

The biggest mistake was putting the CBD where it is and not at Port Adelaide on the actual water front.

And now, when we have an opportunity to create something at the Port Adelaide water front, we are going to have it turned into another generic suburb. :wallbash:

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#694 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:41 pm

Perhaps it’s becaise we have had such little growth and change in quite some time, that all of a sudden the change we are seeing only emphasises the gov and councils we have truely lack the vision needed to make something special of these opurtunities. It certainly feels as though this state and city are run with ... mediocrity.

We can aspire for much better. We have this strange notion that any kind of change will be a good thing. Yet we really need someone/government with a vision to really steal our state onto an exciting path. Until that happens, we will only continue to get developments of this nature.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#695 Post by SBD » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:42 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:27 pm
Our input isn't going to stop them from creating another generic suburb with cut and paste townhouses.

Port Adelaide needs high rise. It needs hotels, it needs apartments. It needs bars, restaurants, cafes etc along the water front.

If they could, they should open up the lake around Delfin Island/West Lakes to the Port River properly, and out through Tennyson into the Gulf, and create a 'fast' ferry service along our metro coast line. Upgrade the jetties and create a berthing at each one for passengers to embark and disembark. Hell if the Torrens River was a proper river system you could run a ferry all the way back into the CBD and Zoo.

The biggest mistake was putting the CBD where it is and not at Port Adelaide on the actual water front.

And now, when we have an opportunity to create something at the Port Adelaide water front, we are going to have it turned into another generic suburb. :wallbash:
The place was little more than a swamp when the English people were first looking for somewhere to build a town. There was no "mouth" of the Torrens, it just ran out onto the plains behind the sandhills, and maybe drained a bit through the Port River if it got too wet and the tide was low enough. Nobody in their right mind would have considered putting the city there. Breakout Creek wasn't built until the 1930s which enabled draining the reedbeds to build West Lakes (these days it would probably become a protected wetland lauded for its proximity to a major city). Look at the comments on other threads here about building at Buckland Park on similar terrain. Parts of Port Adelaide needed sandbags this week!

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#696 Post by how good is he » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:57 am

Rev I understand how you can say Pt Adelaide needs high rise apartments and needs this and that but what if there isn’t enough demand (ie buyers with money prepared to hand it over) for what you propose, what then? Do you still propose developers to over supply apartments regardless? It’s great to have these ambitions for the area but if the reality/demand falls well short of your vision are you just kidding yourself by having these expectations in the first place?

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#697 Post by Honey of a City » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:39 am

how good is he wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:57 am
Rev I understand how you can say Pt Adelaide needs high rise apartments and needs this and that but what if there isn’t enough demand (ie buyers with money prepared to hand it over) for what you propose, what then? Do you still propose developers to over supply apartments regardless? It’s great to have these ambitions for the area but if the reality/demand falls well short of your vision are you just kidding yourself by having these expectations in the first place?
How can the demand be assessed unless the vision is properly formed and articulated? If mediocrity is the only proposition presented then the result will end up being at best mediocre.That's what's happening with these developments at the Port. The once in a lifetime opportunity for an insprational development in a unique setting has been blown here by governments which are lazy and developers who respond to that brief accordingly.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#698 Post by how good is he » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

Ok for the sake of the discussion can you give me an example of a one (or a few) development/s that you compare as your vision/ambition here?
It’s admirable to want iconic, a higher standard etc but to me its Port Adelaide it’s not the Rocks Sydney... and what you want/may expect translates to a much higher cost /price point for the public/buyers and more risk to the developer. So yes have a vision but you also need to understand your market and what the buyers can afford. What do you see as the max price range for buyers here?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#699 Post by how good is he » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am

Ok for the sake of the discussion can you give me an example of one (or a few) development/s that you compare as your vision/ambition here?
It’s admirable to want iconic, a higher standard etc but to me its Port Adelaide it’s not the Rocks Sydney... and what you want/may expect translates to a much higher cost /price point for the public/buyers and more risk to the developer. So yes have a vision but you also need to understand your market and what the buyers can afford. What do you see as the max price range for buyers here and where do you think most buyers will be coming from?

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#700 Post by SBD » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 pm

I think high-quality townhouses along the waterfront, interspersed or above restaurants and cafes, looks much nicer than Gold Coast-style highrise right up to the edge. Repurpose the large woolstores and bond stores, and build the highrises in the next tier back from those.

Glenelg has achieved a restaurant precinct with apartments over them around the marina, but I'm not sure that's actually as attractive as the townhouses and lower apartment buildings on the other side of the Patawalonga.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#701 Post by Eurostar » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 am

I like those big apartments in that brick building on corner of Lipson Street and Dale Street.

rev

#702 Post by rev » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm

how good is he wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:59 am
Ok for the sake of the discussion can you give me an example of one (or a few) development/s that you compare as your vision/ambition here?
It’s admirable to want iconic, a higher standard etc but to me its Port Adelaide it’s not the Rocks Sydney... and what you want/may expect translates to a much higher cost /price point for the public/buyers and more risk to the developer. So yes have a vision but you also need to understand your market and what the buyers can afford. What do you see as the max price range for buyers here and where do you think most buyers will be coming from?
Ah so you've done the market research and know what buyers want and what they're prepared to pay right? Enlighten us then.

rev

#703 Post by rev » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:12 pm

SBD wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:02 pm
I think high-quality townhouses along the waterfront, interspersed or above restaurants and cafes, looks much nicer than Gold Coast-style highrise right up to the edge. Repurpose the large woolstores and bond stores, and build the highrises in the next tier back from those.

Glenelg has achieved a restaurant precinct with apartments over them around the marina, but I'm not sure that's actually as attractive as the townhouses and lower apartment buildings on the other side of the Patawalonga.
Nobody said anything about Gold Coast style high rise.

This is a city, if you want your country town living, go live in a country town.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#704 Post by Goodsy » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:22 pm

Something like the Titanic Quarter in Belfast would have been nice

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#705 Post by how good is he » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Rev, read my comments again and note that I am openly asking you/the forum where you/the forum see the max. price range and where you think most of the buyers will come from? It may be basic comprehension but that is the purpose of the question mark at the end. Therefore I am more than happy to let you/the forum enlighten us..