News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#511 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:33 pm

thejoebloggsblog wrote:For those who don't want to see Shed 1 demolished, instead refurbished in a similar style to the 'Watershed' (pictured) sign the petition below.

PETITION ---> https://www.change.org/p/sa-heritage-co ... t-adelaide

Signed. The watershed looks fantastic, would love to see something similar in Port Adelaide.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#512 Post by rev » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:33 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
thejoebloggsblog wrote:For those who don't want to see Shed 1 demolished, instead refurbished in a similar style to the 'Watershed' (pictured) sign the petition below.

PETITION ---> https://www.change.org/p/sa-heritage-co ... t-adelaide

where do I sign to be the one who drives the wrecking ball?
Can we take it in turns?

In fact, can they let us drive some excavators and have some fun tearing this eyesore down?

Vee
Legendary Member!

#513 Post by Vee » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:18 am

I recently took a tour of the City of Adelaide clipper ship at Dock 1 Port Adelaide (entry/car park via Wauwa St). I have followed the story (journey) with interest. An excellent addition, and ongoing drawcard as its conservation continues, supporting the rich history of the Port.

The world's only surviving clipper ship. And it's undergoing conservation work at the Port ...
Clipper Ship City of Adelaide Ltd (CSCOAL) is a volunteer run, not for profit organisation, dedicated to preserving the historic 1864 City of Adelaide, and making it the centre-piece of a seaport village in Port Adelaide's inner harbour.
The ship was a composite construction (timber hull on iron frames), built in 1864 to carry passengers to Adelaide, South Australia. It has a long and fascinating history which you can learn from the tour, the passionate volunteers and the website link below. I was unaware of the significance of the composite construction until I took the tour!

On the tour, learn more about its complex history and the final journey to Port Adelaide, see what has been achieved to date and plans going forward. Worth a visit next time you are at the Port. (No tours on extremely hot days.)

I bought a booklet from the mini merchandise shop at the entry to the tour - also available in the online merchandise shop - and this has a lot of extra history and photos, including names of passengers that South Australians will be familiar with.
An estimated 250,000 Australians can trace their ancestry to the City of Adelaide.
If interested, you can take the tour and/or help with fundraising (tax deductible) for the ongoing conservation of the ship.
Daily tours info - check the website.

http://www.cityofadelaide.org.au/

Donation info (form with multiple options or direct PayPal link)
http://www.cityofadelaide.org.au/get-involved

Note: the ultimate resting place at the Port for the ship is yet to be determined.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#514 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 am

From Portside Messenger

BUILDING PLAN TO LURE MORE PEOPLE TO PORT

NEW homes and a multistorey tourism hub are being mooted for Cruickshank’s Corner and Port Approach on the Port Adelaide waterfront.
Planning Minister John Rau has amended plans for land next to Birkenhead Bridge and located on either side of the Port River to allow new homes to be built at Port Approach and higher developments on Cruickshank’s Corner.
Mayor Gary Johanson welcomed the idea of more homes being built and said he had no doubt they would be able to find new buyers to move into the area.
“I am very confident about the future,” Mr Johanson said. “I have never seen anything like it in 10 years with people and businesses want- ing to move into the area.”
Property Council president Daniel Gannon said the big challenge for the property sector and the State Government was to ensure demand matched supply. “SA has a large demand challenge, if we are to future proof our economy we have to have population growth and retain our best and brightest,” Mr Gannon said.
He said the onus was on the property sector to make sure they are building high quality residences at the right price point.
“If these boxes are ticked there is no doubt that the demand will be there in Port Adelaide,” Mr Gannon said.
Changes to the plans for Cruickshank’s Corner would allow developments up to five-storeys high to be built.
The original plans for the land released by the Government in 2015 outlined a maximum of three-storey buildings in the area.
Cruickshank’s Corner is envisioned as a tourism precinct with marine activities, hospitality and commercial development, including possibly a hotel and public spaces near Cruickshank’s Beach and the Birkenhead Tavern.
At Port Approach, new housing is planned on the waterfront with offices and “light” industrial use on the northern side near the Port river Expressway.
When the site’s original plans were drawn up, it was zoned as industrial and homes were not proposed.
However, the masterplan released by the State Government in July included building nearly 1300 homes at Port Approach, Dock 1, North West and Fletcher’s Slip, meaning the concept plans had to be amended.
In an attempt to make the area more attractive to potential homebuyers, the Government acquired the site at Port Approach where Incitec Pivot, a company which manufactures fertiliser and explosive chemicals, was and rezoned the area from industry to light industry.
Mr Johanson said because the land is owned by the State Government the council did not have a substantial role in the development plans for Port Approach or Cruickshank’s Corner.
However, “if there is something we think is not positive then we will raise objections”, Mr Johanson said.
He said that the new development plans for Cruickshank’s Corner would hopefully spark investment that lures people to the area.
He said the spot was not suitable for homes because of its proximity to Adelaide Brighton Cement, but it was good for water activities.
“All of that would be ideal at Cruickshank’s Corner,” Mr Johanson said.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#515 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Fence gone up around the car park next to the Fishermen's Wharf Market.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#516 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:30 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:Fence gone up around the car park next to the Fishermen's Wharf Market.
The car park has now been dug up.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#517 Post by Norman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

Construction starts on Port Adelaide office
06 Feb 2017

Work has begun on a new office building in Port Adelaide which will house more than 500 public servants, helping to revitalise the Port, grow its daytime economy and support construction jobs.

Developer epc.Pacific Pty Ltd is developing the new building to be leased by the State Government, with a forecast value of more than $40 million.

The building at the corner of Nile and Robe streets will improve the vibrancy of Port Adelaide and provide an economic boost to local businesses, in keeping with the Government’s Our Port policy.

The building will consist of:

[*]ground floor retail space
[*]two levels of car parking accommodating 142 cars
[*]three levels of office accommodation

The new building has been designed to achieve a minimum 5 Star Green Star fit out rating and a minimum 5 Star energy and water consumption rating.

The project, which is expected to be completed in the second quarter of next year, is being conducted in line with the State Government’s Industry Participation Policy, which maximises the benefit for local businesses and workers, and the Steel Procurement Policy, requiring all steel to meet Australian standards.

It also supports the Northern Economic Plan, which is a blueprint for a prosperous northern Adelaide, focused on creating jobs and empowering local communities.

The Northern Economic Plan has been developed by the State Government in partnership with the Port Adelaide Enfield, Salisbury, and Playford Councils, along with industries, businesses, and the community.

More information is available at Northern Economic Plan website.
https://dpti.sa.gov.au/news?a=291787

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#518 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:21 am

[From https://twitter.com/HansenYuncken

Port Adelaide Government Office Development - Construction Time-lapse Jan - March 2017.

pg77
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#519 Post by pg77 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:35 am

damn I stayed at quest Port Adelaide in December 2016 and there was nothing but a parting lot there. great to see development!

Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#520 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 pm

Port Adelaide tourism boost as Dock 2 poised to house historic ships

Historic ships and replicas are key parts of Port Adelaide's rich maritime history

A plan for Port Adelaide to have a dedicated home for some South Australia's historic ships has been welcomed by local Mayor Gary Johanson.

The South Australian Government has recommended ships including the City of Adelaide clipper and the schooner Nelcebee go on permanent display at Dock 2 in the heart of the port.

The plan, aimed at boosting local tourism, has been unveiled to coincide with the 30th anniversary of the One And All, a purpose-built sail training ship operated by Adelaide volunteers and owned by the State Government.

Mr Johanson said work remained to be done on the Dock 2 plan, but he was optimistic it would come to fruition.

"This is a very rare opportunity where you'll have prime waterfront land the Government is releasing for this maritime precinct," he said.

Urban Development Minister Stephen Mullighan said Port Adelaide's maritime history needed to be preserved, in an era when new housing and development was transforming the area in Adelaide's north-west.

"It will ensure that, during this period of growth, the unique maritime history of our port is not only preserved but also embraced and celebrated," he said.

"The strategy sets out a clear path forward for the preservation and management of these historic resources to ensure the public can continue to enjoy them and to further develop them as drawcards for Port Adelaide."

Funds are being raised for City of Adelaide clipper restoration work.

Clipper travelled from Scotland to Adelaide

The hull of the City of Adelaide clipper was transported on a barge halfway across the world, from Scotland to Adelaide, and funds are being raised to help restore it.

Project director Peter Christopher is delighted with news of the Dock 2 proposal.

"The 1864 clipper ... together with other historic vessels in a central and accessible location can tell an important story to young and old.

"The City of Adelaide has international significance, being one of only two remaining composite clipper ships in the world today — the other being the famous, but younger, Cutty Sark in London."

The proposal is for currently water-based ships such as the One And All and the Falie to remain where they are now tied up, at Port Adelaide's McLaren Wharf.
From: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-05/p ... s_adelaide

Llessur2002

#521 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:00 pm

Encouraging news. Would be great to see some of the lovely old hotels thriving again.
Introducing The Port Admiral Hotel

Clever Little Tailor, Low & Slow BBQ and chef Stewart Wesson are teaming up to make something very new and very different, in a very surprising location.

Crispian Fielke and Angus Henderson have both – separately – always dreamed of running a pub.

“It’s the great Australian dream,” says Angus. “Pubs always existed in my mind as the pinnacle of society,” says Crispian – unprompted, and during an entirely different interview.

Despite this, neither of them have opened a pub. Crispian is part of the crew behind Clever Little Tailor (CLT), Pink Moon Saloon, and Pink Moon Deli. Angus is a corner of the trio who own and run Low & Slow American BBQ.

But now, the two teams are joining together to open a pub. And they’re doing it in Port Adelaide.

The new venture is actually an old one. The Port Admiral Hotel is the eighth oldest in South Australia, but for more than a decade its doors have been shuttered.

Crispian and his CLT partners – Josh Baker (Coffee Branch, Larry & Ladd, Whistle and Flute, Pink Moon Saloon and Deli) and Dana Whyte (Pink Moon Saloon and Deli) – are coming together with Angus’ Low & Slow collaborators Jim Morrison and Angus Kiley and chef Stewart Wesson (The Flinders Street Project, Whistle and Flute) to open the pub’s doors once more.

It’s a venture that was almost over before it had even begun.

“Josh Baker has taught me that you should be open to everything,” says Crispian.

“And when this came up Josh’s words rang true because I nearly didn’t do the drive.

“But, eventually, I said to Dana and Josh, ‘Hendo has been ringing me – there’s something I have to show you’, and we went for a drive and then about three hours later the seven of us clinked our glasses.”

Key to that decision was the building itself – a classic Australian pub design with a front bar, saloon, space for a beer garden, and an enormous verandah stretching all the way around the upstairs level.

But Crispian’s familiarity with landlords Alison Sloley and Adam Freeman – who bought the tenancy in 2016 – was also important.

“I worked for them in North Adelaide when they opened The Store in 1997 or thereabouts,” says Crispian.

“You could write a whole article about Alison’s influence in the Port. She really has the community in mind. Adam is very hands on and he loves a build. They’re getting it to the stage where we can take a shell off them, and then we’ll fit it out fully.”

The seven-person-strong Low & Slow x CLT + Stewart Wesson team have come up with a vision for the pub which blends elements of what they’re already known for with an understanding of the area.

“It’s going to be a full Australian classic hotel, but just done right,” says Angus.

“There will be modernisation of those classic menu items. And there’s not hospitality in hotels anymore, we’re bringing it back.

“The face of the publican is so important in the Australian pub culture. So you’ll have us three [from Low & Slow] and Crispian down there pouring beers every day.”

Angus grew up in the area, as did Angus Kiley – and Low & Slow is based there. They bring a strong local slant to the plans for the Port Admiral Hotel.

“Everyone is very community minded around here. The business owners want new stuff because it’s just going to bring more people to the area,” says Angus.

“The people who live here are just so excited about it… I always thought the biggest problem was there was no businesses – why would you live here if there was nothing to do?

“But now we have wine bars, hotels, new hotel, a great little BBQ joint, West Side massive up in Semaphore from Big Shed. Sweet Amber which is like a craft brewery and café.

“There’s things to do – you can eat, you can drink, you can watch some live music, you can spend the day here.”

Incorporating a front bar, a kitchen, a beer garden, upstairs function rooms, a take-away bottle shop, and a fish and chippery for all day eat in and take-away, the pub will have staples like footy tips and schnitzels.

But, the team know they will also have to offer enough points of difference to attract people from outside the area as well if it’s going to be a success.

“Because there’s six or seven pubs around here where you can get those things, so we’ll offer what we know best,” says Crispian.

“We won’t pour West End but we will have it in the can. Coopers Pale probably fits, Pirate Life definitely fit. We have to navigate that ground carefully but we’re not going to completely ignore what’s in our hearts, which is tasty things made by smaller companies.”

The food offering will also be a stand out. Stewart Wesson will be cooking over a charcoal grill as he re-works classic pub menu items, and will be taking full advantage of his close proximity to water by focussing heavily on seafood on the regular menu and in the fish and chip shop.

“The Port Local Fry Shop is what we’re calling it,” says Angus. “There will be fresh fish delivered every day and all of our chips will be hand cut.”

The opening of the venue is still a while away – although Crispian says he “would love to be open by the time The Saints win the 2017 Grand Final”.

But, even while the venue is under construction, it gives a solid indication that this time around, something truly is happening at The Port.
From: http://citymag.indaily.com.au/habits/pl ... ral-hotel/

PeFe

#522 Post by PeFe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Great news about the Port Admiral, unfortunately there at least 3 other derelict pubs in Port Adelaide at the moment. I don't think they will all be coming back...........
I am looking forward to the opening of the new office block next to the Quest Hotel and the re-deployment of 500 government workers to the Port, this should really generate economic activity in the heart of the old town.
Small steps...but at least we are now travelling in the right direction.

Waewick

#523 Post by Waewick » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:21 pm

It looks great too.

PeFe

#524 Post by PeFe » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:18 pm

From the 'Tiser
Historic Port Adelaide transformed into technicolour delight for Wonderwalls Festival

HISTORIC Port Adelaide will be transformed into a technicolour wonderland as local and international artists convert more than 30 walls into vivid street art murals.

More than 10,000 people are expected to descend upon the Port this coming weekend for the Wonderwalls Festival to witness once decaying and neglected walls given a new and colourful lease on life

The three-day event returns after a inaugural 2015 festival which found a number of walls and buildings in the area transformed in larger than life pieces of art.

Among this years artists will be Wonderwalls Festival curator Joel van Moore, also known as Vans the Omega, and renowned San Francisco street artist Amanda Lynn.

Ms Lynn said the simple act of painting a wall could transform the space into a neighbourhood icon.

“It’s always amazing to me how people really gravitate towards murals,” she said.

“They see them as something that belongs to them personally and often use them as an icon of their neighbourhoods. My hope is that the work I do inspires and enlightens a person’s day.”

ImageImage

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 430fe4e6ef

The Scooter Guy

#525 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:20 pm

PeFe wrote:Great news about the Port Admiral, unfortunately there at least 3 other derelict pubs in Port Adelaide at the moment. I don't think they will all be coming back...........
I am looking forward to the opening of the new office block next to the Quest Hotel and the re-deployment of 500 government workers to the Port, this should really generate economic activity in the heart of the old town.
Small steps...but at least we are now travelling in the right direction.
What about the Golden Port Tavern aka Globe Hotel? How long has it been shut for?
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/