News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#481 Post by Nathan » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:25 am

Patrick_27 wrote:Jeez, calm down... So you didn't get the high density proposal you were hoping for, big deal? At-least there will be something more than empty plots of land. This proposal, whilst not the most ambitious, will have a much quicker turnaround than any high density proposal would.
Getting it off the ground is certainly a concern, but a compromise approach could be taken where the initial stages are lower density, and as the each area develops momentum, the density of releases is slowly increased. (i.e. start with terraces and some low rise apartments, as they sell off, swing the balance away from terraces and towards mid rise apartments). A good way of maintaining some diversity to the areas as well.

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#482 Post by Wayno » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:39 am

And there should be reserved water-front land, closer to the Port Adelaide town centre, for a hi-rise hotel/resort. I realise it won't happen short-term, but plan for it, and start lobbying the big chains, now. You might get surprised. No risk of downside...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#483 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:00 pm

I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

claybro

#484 Post by claybro » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Yes its bland, un-inspiring...but. Watching the Facebook video, politicians really are led by what the local constituents tell them they want. Cleary in this video, the feedback was low rise, low density, plenty of open space. So ask the good folk of SA and this is what you will get every time. In reality, the buyers of these properties will be empty nesters, downsizers and divorcees. This environment will appeal to them. It might help clean up the port CBD. Immediately to the south- West Lakes is not the most exciting place in the world, but it is pleasant and attractive, and that is exactly the demographic that will buy here. Once this is up and running, finally with some momentum, I pray they do something interesting with all those old huge red brick wool stores immediately to the east of the Port CBD. Create a new heritage warehouse district, with some complementary infill developments. Now if they f.ck those up, we really do have reason to be angry.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#485 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:14 pm

I am across from it I would prefer high rise then low rise alot of people who prefer low rise can't see it.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#486 Post by how good is he » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Mulligan said on ch9 that during the community consultation process the overriding feedback was for low rise/no more high rise than 5 storey (as well as public promenade etc) and the Govt listened to the community/the consultation results.
I am not saying I agree with the outcome but ask those that want high rise now whether they actually made any input in the consultation process when it actually counted and not now when it's all too late.
Also as a developer (and also as a financier/bank) it is a lot safer to have a land component development ie townhouse vs an apartment. When a sale is made the developer can get his money back on the land component almost instantly (and the buyer signs a building contact with the builder with progress finance claims, which is what I expect here).

ml69
Legendary Member!

#487 Post by ml69 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:15 am

Norman wrote:Is it underwhelming? Yes. Is it achievable? A lot more than the plans that were there before! Still missing? The land across Glanville station (potential for some high-rise there), and the inner parts of the Port. I'd rather have this and actually get built rather than another failed extravagant vision. This is Port Adelaide, not Sydney Harbour.
Totally agree. At least it's a realistic start to get something, in fact anything, happening at the Port. Much easier to sell townhouses than apartments, it will give the development more momentum than all medium-rise apartments from the get-go. I think the proposals have the balance right.

If it were me however, I would in fact reserve a couple of key sites for 5 storey apartments in the North West (Cedar Woods) part of the redevelopment. These sites would be where you have direct view straight down the Port River looking eastwards and southwards. Looks like they have no apartments at all in the North West precinct. Nothing over the top, a couple of apartment buildings will do to take advantage of arguably the best river views in the whole area. The rest of the townhouses can stay.

Also what happened to the idea to establish a permanent fish market in Port Adelaide? This could be set up alongside a new Fisherman's Wharf precinct with cafes/restaurants near the lighthouse and become a new drawcard for the area. Establish a microbrewery nearby (I'm thinking something like Little Creatures in Fremantle) and it potentially could become quite a lively area. Maybe it will come later when there are more residents living there creating demand and redevelopment creating a "coolness" factor about Port Adelaide. It's currently not a very cool area, but it certainly could be. Re-purposing some of the old wool stores into loft-style apartments would also help in that regard.

Nathan

#488 Post by Nathan » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:32 am

ml69 wrote:Establish a microbrewery nearby (I'm thinking something like Little Creatures in Fremantle) and it potentially could become quite a lively area.
Port Dock Brewery.

The Beagle
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#489 Post by The Beagle » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:51 pm

Couple of new renders for the Port Adelaide Office Accommodation. I believe the architect is Walter Brooke

chang4
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#490 Post by chang4 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:28 pm

For what it's worth ... I'll give my opinion on this.

I know this area exceptionally well. My parent's house was in Close Street Birkenhead, and I've lived around this area many years including 2 years recently in New Port.

Sometime ago I relocated to Canberra and have been living in South Korea since 2007 (except for a recent stint back in Adelaide). I live in Korea now and while I'll always be a Port Power/Magpies supporter no matter what, I think I've had my quota of Adelaide. The saga of this development and it's outcome is typical of a wider mindset I don't wish to revisit.

Past posts in this thread have outlined some of the redevelopment related history of this area, which has translated into the fact that for much of my lifetime the Port area has been derelict vacant land. So as for the often vaunted history of the Port ...a place I have identified with and like no end ... much of it's history in my lifetime has been a run down CBD with vast vacant lots surrounding it. It may have been worth it - if in the end something special had emerged, but those who labelled the low rise plans as underwhelming have probably chosen the exact right words IMO.

As someone who lived in New Port in the past, I can convey what low rise translates to ... it means very large sized townhouses which are priced out of the range of many/most local people (+ some low rise apartments). Additionally, from the new plans it looks like there will be very few (if any) high-ish rise apartments (which are more affordable), even close to the train stations. Local residents have fought so hard to restrict building heights to between 3 and 5 stories next to the long vacant land surrounding Port Adelaide and Glanville train stations, thus giving outsiders and people from the wider area less opportunity to live near the Port, the beach, PA TAFE and public transport because it would "destroy their community".

And the development area community itself looks to be one that isn't going to have the critical population mass to support small shops and businesses within it, so it'll be a trip in the car to Port Adelaide Coles or Semaphore Road to do shopping just like they do in West lakes. At least here in Korea, the high rise housing supports all kinds of small businesses within walking distance of where people live. Perhaps the bottom end of Semaphore Road might start to grow which would be good. But still ... I remember when my wife and I would go for a walk at night and Portabello Cafe would be open with people in it and we just felt so much better to see a bit of life happening while walking past. Some of my wife's friends were Asian students who lived in the 8 stories buildings above it, but I guess there'll be few places for such people in this new limited development.

Basically, I'm glad something is being built here and no doubt it'll be OK and could even be great for the limited few who live there. But after living in Claremont in Perth, between Fremantle which is great and Subiaco which has amazingly interesting developments around it's train station, and especially South Korea where we actually have vibrant local businesses and nightlife surrounding our apartments, I couldn't go back to the blandness of low density living (like what these plans seem to allow for). That's just me though ... but with South Australia's population stagnant, likely others (especially from East Asia) might feel the same way due to a lack of diverse housing options. The whole of Adelaide doesn't need to be high density, but it would be good if some selected areas embraced it so that there were options for those who have a preference for it.

The Port will still be the best area in Adelaide IMO, and there's all kinds of good things happening in and around it now, but I personally think it's missing a chance to be a key part of Adelaide being a proper city, instead opting to be like another West Lakes, which is just another suburb which Adelaide has plenty of already.

PS: We live on the 9th floor of a 15 story building in a complex of about 30 15 story buildings. There are no traffic problems (people adapt) and plenty of open space nearby facilitated by the higher buildings housing more people within less ground space. Most new apartment complexes in Korea are 20-30+ stories these days. 8 stories is a very modest residential building height in this context.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#491 Post by how good is he » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:52 pm

I think the govt has kept back 12 hectares/30% of the development to still be decided upon. However this could still come to little.... I guess while I understand your points about high rise, I am unsure if there is enough buyer demand to support it. Many owners still are deep underwater from prices paid for apartments some 6 - 8 years ago.

PeFe

#492 Post by PeFe » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:05 am

From the Advertiser
Fishermen’s Wharf Markets at Port Adelaide could be demolished — or protected by heritage listing

HE owner of Port Adelaide’s prominent Fishermen’s Wharf Markets wants approval to bulldoze the site to counter a National Trust push to protect it with heritage listing.
Owner Hans Ehmann has applied to Port Adelaide Enfield Council to demolish the market shed on Queen’s Wharf, next to the iconic Port Lighthouse on Nelson St.
Since 1994, thousands of people have flocked to the Sunday markets, where more than 100 stallholders sell wares including vintage clothing, antiques, bric-a-brac and old toys.
The Port of Adelaide National Trust asked the SA Heritage Council in October to add the building to the register, protecting it from demolition.
Full article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 2903e45a00
I cant get excited about a 1950's shed......no to heritage listing from me.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#493 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:06 am

PeFe wrote:From the Advertiser
Fishermen’s Wharf Markets at Port Adelaide could be demolished — or protected by heritage listing

HE owner of Port Adelaide’s prominent Fishermen’s Wharf Markets wants approval to bulldoze the site to counter a National Trust push to protect it with heritage listing.
Owner Hans Ehmann has applied to Port Adelaide Enfield Council to demolish the market shed on Queen’s Wharf, next to the iconic Port Lighthouse on Nelson St.
Since 1994, thousands of people have flocked to the Sunday markets, where more than 100 stallholders sell wares including vintage clothing, antiques, bric-a-brac and old toys.
The Port of Adelaide National Trust asked the SA Heritage Council in October to add the building to the register, protecting it from demolition.
Full article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 2903e45a00
I cant get excited about a 1950's shed......no to heritage listing from me.
Heard this months ago and they are looking at moving the markets and yes it is from the 1950s but it is only a shed.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#494 Post by crawf » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:26 am

That markets draws people on weekends, though the markets itself are pretty average.

Patrick_27

#495 Post by Patrick_27 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 pm

The sheds are older than the 1950s, my grandfather worked on these wharfs/in these sheds in the late 30s/early 40s. The easy and logical answer is to bring the shed back to it's former glory and house the Adelaide Clipper (that our government fought so hard to retrieve) inside; perhaps create an expanded maritime museum and even incorporate the migration museum that is currently on Kintore Avenue into this.