News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
GBEE
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: News & Developments: Port Adelaide

#721 Post by GBEE » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm

cem.jpg
cem.jpg (132.02 KiB) Viewed 6480 times
Don't forget this large iconic landmark...

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#722 Post by Honey of a City » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 pm

GBEE wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm
cem.jpg

Try and think of it as our own Pompidou Centre ;)

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#723 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:17 pm

Honey of a City wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 pm
GBEE wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:44 pm
cem.jpg

Try and think of it as our own Pompidou Centre ;)
Haaaaa I just choked on my water hahahahahahahahah

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#724 Post by rev » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 pm
rev wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:49 pm
a world renowned landmark......
And yet I and many others have never heard of it... Must be world renowned.
I wouldn’t expect the typical South Australian to.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#725 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:33 pm

rev wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:10 pm
rev wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:49 pm
a world renowned landmark......
And yet I and many others have never heard of it... Must be world renowned.
I wouldn’t expect the typical South Australian to.
A typical well-travelled and educated South Australian...

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#726 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 pm

Push for $9m muscle car museum in the Port.
PORT Adelaide could become home to a $9 million, 1950s American muscle car-themed motor museum as part of a push to make the suburb one of the museum hubs of the world.

SUBSCRIBER ONLY

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 4002c75ad8
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#727 Post by Goodsy » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:30 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:16 pm
Push for $9m muscle car museum in the Port.
PORT Adelaide could become home to a $9 million, 1950s American muscle car-themed motor museum as part of a push to make the suburb one of the museum hubs of the world.

SUBSCRIBER ONLY

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 4002c75ad8
PORT Adelaide could become home to a 1950s American-themed motor museum if a $9 million push from mayor Gary Johanson is successful.

Mr Johanson is lobbying the State Government to spend millions of dollars purchasing the entire collection from a private car museum in Newcastle called Lost in the 50s, which is closing down, and display it in one of the old wool stores.
One of the cars in the Lost in the 50s car museums in Newcastle.

He said it was a “one off opportunity” for Port Adelaide to become one of few places in the world with a railway, aviation, maritime and motor museum.

“The Port could be the museum capital, not just of Australia, but the world,” Mr Johanson said.

“It will attract tourists from all over the state, interstate and overseas.”

Lost in the 50s owner Glen Jennings, whose collection consists of more than 100 classic American cars as well as about 10,000 pieces of memorabilia, said he was open to the idea of selling to the State Government.

“There’s nothing I’m not open to,” Mr Jennings said.

He said his collection, which has been 35 years in the making, values about $9 million.

Mr Johanson said the council could “potentially” offer some support but with “rate- capping on the horizon the last thing we could do is pull ($9) million dollars out of what is a tight budget already”.

“It’s something for the State Government to action,’ he said.
Sixty Lost Vintage Cars Discovered in French Barn

“This type of museum in the Port — I have no doubt it could be run by volunteers — and it would be very profitable too because you could either make money out of the build or by selling food and souvenirs.”

Coffee N Chrome classic car club president Bill Galka said the museum would be a “massive windfall” for Port Adelaide and the state.

The club — consisting of 400 vehicles and more than 1000 classic car enthusiasts — held their monthly meeting on Crozier St in Port Adelaide last week.

They are in talks with the council about making the shift permanently to the Port as they have outgrown their Mile End meeting spot.
Vintage cars in Port Adelaide during a meet. Picture: Lending Light Photography

“A museum housing a private collection of American muscle cars and a monthly classic motor enthusiast community event, would this be of interest to the general and automotive enthusiasts community? Would Port Adelaide attract people from (other) suburbs, (around) the state, from interstate? The answer is a definite, resounding yes — no doubt about it,” he said.

Port Adelaide MP Susan Close said she would support a motor museum in Port Adelaide if there was “a proper business plan in place”.

“I am always willing to support attractions that will bring more people to the Port,” Dr Close said.
Vintage cars in Port Adelaide during a meet. Picture: Lending Light Photography

“The Mayor raised moving the Birdwood Museum to the Port many times in the past without success or any real plan to make it happen.

“If the Mayor comes up with a sensible, costed plan that is co-funded by council and responsible with taxpayers’ and ratepayers’ money, it would have my support.”

Mr Johanson has been trying to set up a motor museum in Port Adelaide for nearly a decade.

In 2009, he launched a bid for the National Motor Museum — run by the SA History Trust — to be relocated to Port Adelaide from Birdwood and in 2014, he tried to poach the starting line for the Bay to Birdwood vintage car run from Glenelg.

The State Government was approached for comment.

Llessur2002

#728 Post by Llessur2002 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:08 am

Wait on defence workers: Port Adelaide’s $40m office tower still only a third full

NO leasing contracts have been signed a month after it was revealed private defence companies would move into the brand new $40 million office building in Port Adelaide because public servants had refused to leave the city.

The former Labor government built the six-storey office tower – which opened last month – with the intention of shifting 500 public servants to the Port as part of its revitalisation effort.

However, following reports of public servants not wanting to move to Port Adelaide – mainly because of the travel time compared to the city – it was announced that two floors would be leased to private defence companies to house workers close to Techport in Osborne.

Infrastructure Minister Stephan Knoll said at the time that the defence sector had been “knocking on its door” to move into the building.

However, a month on, the Nile St building remains about a third full, with 170 government employees based in it.

A State Government spokesman said the process of leasing the remaining office space was still ongoing, describing it as currently “out to market”.

Nile Street Office Building

Port Adelaide Labor MP Susan Close said proceeding with the plan to bring in 500 public servants would have brought life back to the Port.

“These workers would have boosted the local economy by patronising our local cafes and bars and encouraging new businesses to open in our area,” Dr Close said.

“Having defence companies here is important but if the building had already been full as Labor planned, the defence companies would still come and move into other buildings – we would have had them as well as the 500 government workers.”

Dr Close questioned when the new building would be full, saying she was “deeply concerned” that the momentum in Port Adelaide could slow.

“The Marshall Government must commit to continuing Labor’s work on the Port renewal and show that they care about our side of town,” she said.

Mayor Gary Johanson said he wanted to hear from Premier Steven Marshall on his plans for Port Adelaide.

“We are so close to amazing things happening in the Port and we just need that final push,” Mr Johanson said.
From: https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 0fd0065134

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#729 Post by rev » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:54 pm

What the Marshall government should do is go bigger and bolder then what Labor had planned. Perfect place and opportunity to show they have vision. Successfully transform the Port and they could win a second term on the back of it. What better place is there to create a proper satellite cbd, with the focus on defence corporations and firms to fill the office space? Throw in a residential component, entertainment/night life and some additional hotel chains...

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#730 Post by Norman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 pm

The State Commission Assessment Panel has approved the first stages of Starfish Developments’ Dock One housing project
Giuseppe Tauriello, The Advertiser
August 9, 2018 7:30pm

THE first stages of a $350 million housing development at Port Adelaide have been given the green light, paving the way for hundreds of new townhouses and apartments.

The State Commission Assessment Panel has approved the first stages of Starfish Developments’ Dock One project, comprising close to 250 townhouses and 68 affordable apartments.

Over the next six-to-ten years, following further approvals, the project will create close to 750 new homes at Dock One and Port Approach.

Starfish Developments managing director Damon Nagel said a recent trip to Venice inspired the design of the new housing precinct.

“In Venice there are no cars, you walk everywhere and so I thought how do we bring this vibe back to Port Adelaide,” he said.

Artist's impression of a public park at Starfish Developments' Dock One housing project at Port Adelaide

“We’re going to take cars off of the development. What was the main street down the centre of the development, we’ve turned it from a street into a lineal park and communal garden.

“That communal garden will reach a much larger reserve that faces the waterfront.

“We’ve worked with SCAP and we’ve come up with a really good outcome with pockets of parking areas, but most importantly we’ve been able to maintain a lineal park that runs through the spine of the development.”

Remediation and early earthworks have already commenced at the site, and are expected to be completed by the end of the year, when Starfish plans to release the townhouses and apartments onto the market.

Work on roads and other infrastructure is expected to kick off in the first quarter of next year, before commencement of construction on the townhouses in the second quarter.

Mr Nagel said the project would trigger a revival of Port Adelaide, with an influx of new residents from outside of the area expected.

“The thing I’m most encouraged about is that we’ve really been embraced by the local community, and one of the things I’ve been most surprised by is the inquiry coming from people living outside of the area,” he said.

“Our estimate is that more than half of the residents in the precinct will be people who have not lived in the area before.”

An artist’s impression of the Port Adelaide waterfront development by Starfish Developments.

Mr Nagel said unlike previous apartment projects in Port Adelaide, the Dock One project would be limited to two and three storey buildings.

“We’re using timber, bricks and metal — a whole range of quality materials that are timeless and that relate back to the old Port Adelaide,” he said.

“And with the train extension, it is now really much more of a TOD (transit-oriented development).

“Port Adelaide has had a lot of stops and starts. But now the demand is right, the economy on the peninsula with the submarines and other economic activity — we think we’ve got the timing right.”

As part of the plans, the old Radio Shack building will be converted into a temporary display centre.

The homes at Dock One and Port Approach form part of the former Labor Government’s plan for 1300 homes as well as shops, cafes, hotels and a public promenade across 21ha on the surrounds of the Port River.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... e6fbc16d7d

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#731 Post by Eurostar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:30 am

Norman wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:43 pm
The State Commission Assessment Panel has approved the first stages of Starfish Developments’ Dock One housing project
Giuseppe Tauriello, The Advertiser
August 9, 2018 7:30pm

THE first stages of a $350 million housing development at Port Adelaide have been given the green light, paving the way for hundreds of new townhouses and apartments.

The State Commission Assessment Panel has approved the first stages of Starfish Developments’ Dock One project, comprising close to 250 townhouses and 68 affordable apartments.

Over the next six-to-ten years, following further approvals, the project will create close to 750 new homes at Dock One and Port Approach.

Starfish Developments managing director Damon Nagel said a recent trip to Venice inspired the design of the new housing precinct.

“In Venice there are no cars, you walk everywhere and so I thought how do we bring this vibe back to Port Adelaide,” he said.

Artist's impression of a public park at Starfish Developments' Dock One housing project at Port Adelaide

“We’re going to take cars off of the development. What was the main street down the centre of the development, we’ve turned it from a street into a lineal park and communal garden.

“That communal garden will reach a much larger reserve that faces the waterfront.

“We’ve worked with SCAP and we’ve come up with a really good outcome with pockets of parking areas, but most importantly we’ve been able to maintain a lineal park that runs through the spine of the development.”

Remediation and early earthworks have already commenced at the site, and are expected to be completed by the end of the year, when Starfish plans to release the townhouses and apartments onto the market.

Work on roads and other infrastructure is expected to kick off in the first quarter of next year, before commencement of construction on the townhouses in the second quarter.

Mr Nagel said the project would trigger a revival of Port Adelaide, with an influx of new residents from outside of the area expected.

“The thing I’m most encouraged about is that we’ve really been embraced by the local community, and one of the things I’ve been most surprised by is the inquiry coming from people living outside of the area,” he said.

“Our estimate is that more than half of the residents in the precinct will be people who have not lived in the area before.”

An artist’s impression of the Port Adelaide waterfront development by Starfish Developments.

Mr Nagel said unlike previous apartment projects in Port Adelaide, the Dock One project would be limited to two and three storey buildings.

“We’re using timber, bricks and metal — a whole range of quality materials that are timeless and that relate back to the old Port Adelaide,” he said.

“And with the train extension, it is now really much more of a TOD (transit-oriented development).

“Port Adelaide has had a lot of stops and starts. But now the demand is right, the economy on the peninsula with the submarines and other economic activity — we think we’ve got the timing right.”

As part of the plans, the old Radio Shack building will be converted into a temporary display centre.

The homes at Dock One and Port Approach form part of the former Labor Government’s plan for 1300 homes as well as shops, cafes, hotels and a public promenade across 21ha on the surrounds of the Port River.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... e6fbc16d7d
Majority of area will be townhouses because the ground wouldn't be able to support extra weight without expensive foundation ?

ml69
Legendary Member!

#732 Post by ml69 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:30 am
Majority of area will be townhouses because the ground wouldn't be able to support extra weight without expensive foundation ?
More so that townhouses are far, far easier to sell for premium pricing than apartments, which is likely to be the pricing level for these townhouses.

I think they'll go quickly. 3 storey townhouses in the suburbs are a relatively recent trend in Adelaide, but they can certainly attract premium pricing if well-appointed and in the right location.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#733 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 pm

$160m plan sets sail in the Port.
THE first step towards the $160 million transformation of the Fletcher’s Slip and North West precincts on the Port Adelaide waterfront has been approved by the state’s main planning authority.

Developer Cedar Woods is planning to build 500 homes across the 12.6ha site next to Semaphore Rd.

http://messenger.smedia.com.au/portside ... k=B8D91BEC

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#734 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Aussie rich-lister banks on the Port’s transformation

PORT Adelaide was the humble beginnings of Australian rich-lister Shaun Bonett’s $1 billion property portfolio — two decades later, the city has the “best positive indicators” since 1998 and he’s returning to the Port to reinvest in his first major purchase.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 21d8076308

SUBSCRIBER ONLY

The Scooter Guy

#735 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:07 pm

The former Mitre 10 building (which closed in 2013) is still vacant.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/