News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#601 Post by PeFe » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

The Advertiser's story on the Port Admiral
Port Admiral Hotel reopened after $1 million two-year renovation

IT’S been two years and $1 million in the making — and this week, Port Adelaide’s oldest building, the 168-year-old Port Admiral Hotel, finally unveils its dramatic new look.

The historic hotel, which has been closed for 10 years, reopens on Wednesday after undergoing an epic renovation by owners Alison Sloley and Adam Freeman and new tenants Crispian Fielke, Angus Henderson and Stewart Wesson from the new Port Local team.

The makeover of the landmark building — which fell into disrepair and languished derelict for the past decade — has become an enduring symbol of the Port’s revitalisation.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 48e41d3270

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#602 Post by crawf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:29 pm

Love it!. Looks thousands time better.

claybro

#603 Post by claybro » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:43 pm

It does look good. It seems slowly but surely momentum is happening down there. A few more of these and the mood will completely change. Great to see.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#604 Post by Mpol03 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:06 pm

I was there in August and was so surprised with how they have cleaned it up. The Port use to feel so tired and dirty, but now it has a bit of a swagger to its step. It feels like they are making way for bigger things. The new restaurants and pubs surrounding the Admiral are a breath of fresh air. You only hope more follows. Any word on how the new master plan is coming along?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#605 Post by Eurostar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:41 pm

Well if Port Dock branch is open it would mean many commuters passing by the pubs on St Vincent Street

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#606 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:49 am

Great to see Port Adelaide jumping last Sunday afternoon, spurred on by the newly opened and bustling Port Admiral. Warm day, nearby pubs and venues were packed, busy foot traffic in Commercial Rd and St Vincent St, wharves and market, bicycles parked everywhere, sound of live music from the Railway Hotel. As a local it brought a tear to my eye to see this place alive again. Hoping to see the Customs House development start soon and more enterprises taking off. Bring on the train spur line and new station and the proposed residential developments.

The Scooter Guy

#607 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm

Had my first meal at the Port Admiral Hotel last week. It was very good.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#608 Post by rev » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:00 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:51 pm
Had my first meal at the Port Admiral Hotel last week. It was very good.
Price wise?
Selection?

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#609 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:28 pm

From the Clipper Ship City of Adelaide Facebook Page.
The Visitor Information Centre at the ship is expanding, with the delivery today of a new container. Also, over coming weeks, the ship, on its barge, will be moved about 200 metres west, closer to the red lighthouse. This is necessary as work is about to get underway with the development of the land next to the ship's present location. The move of the ship on to a land site is still some time off as discussions and negotiations re Dock 2 continue.

https://www.facebook.com/ClipperShipCoA/
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Patrick_27

#610 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:34 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:28 pm
From the Clipper Ship City of Adelaide Facebook Page.
The Visitor Information Centre at the ship is expanding, with the delivery today of a new container. Also, over coming weeks, the ship, on its barge, will be moved about 200 metres west, closer to the red lighthouse. This is necessary as work is about to get underway with the development of the land next to the ship's present location. The move of the ship on to a land site is still some time off as discussions and negotiations re Dock 2 continue.

Such a wasted drawcard... Had one of the old warehouses been salvaged they could have moved the Clipper in there and expanded the Maritime Museum. If the government are serious about furthering Port Adelaide's potential, it's things like this that should be considered.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

#611 Post by Honey of a City » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:33 am

Wondering why the Dock 2 proposal is taking so long to get moving. The C of A would only have to be moved once if Dock 2 was approved and it was relocated there permanently at the start of the development, thus saving a lot of cash. The rest of the maritime precinct/fish market proposal could be built around it, with an access corridor made available during construction. There's plenty of parking available in the area. Having said that though the C of A will make a very spectacular temporary addition to the McLaren dock if the above idea is all too hard. Would also be a good time to consider a single tram line from Dock 2 to Semaphore Jetty via St Vincent St, passing by the new Port Dock railway station. The track could be designed into the new development soon to commence at Dock 1, adding to public transport and tourism options. Commuter trams could run during the week mixed with heritage trams on weekends, if the Tram Museum relocated to the Rail Museum area. Wins on many fronts.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#612 Post by how good is he » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:30 am

AdelaideNow -

GLOBAL brewing giant AB InBev has snapped up iconic local brewer Pirate Life, injecting $10 million into the brewer’s plans to revitalise Port Adelaide.

The investment will allow Pirate Life to press ahead with redevelopment plans, which include a 300-person hospitality venue and a brewery with an annual capacity of eight million litres.

Pirate Life co- founder Jack Cameron said the deal was a game-change for the brewer, allowing it to reach new international markets.

“We got a call from them (AB InBev) and it’s so exciting that they can help out with Port Adelaide, which will take us to a whole new level,” he said.

“Now that we have closed the deal, we’ll get the lease signed before the end of the year and by this time next year we’ll have a fully functional hospitality venue.”

“We’re excited to be part of the Port Adelaide revival.”

I am wondering if anyone knows the site in Port Adelaide they are moving into?

It must be a very big site and am guessing it will in one of the Old Woolstores [maybe along Santo Parade opp. City Of Adelaide clipper ship]?

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#613 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:44 pm

The new State Govt office building corner Nile and Nelson Sts, next to the Quest has now got some glass in and it looks great.

PeFe

#614 Post by PeFe » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:00 pm

Hope this one eventually gets up
From The Advertiser
Future of Hans Ehmann’s $40 million retirement tower plan for Port Adelaide in limbo

Dock 27, Queen’s Wharf development perspective.

THE future of a $40 million apartment complex overlooking the Port River has been left in limbo after the State Government scrapped its fast-track assessment process for major aged-care developments.

Port Adelaide developer Hans Ehmann lodged plans for his seven-storey aged-care apartment block on the Fishermen’s Wharf site under the new scheme, which allowed major aged-care developments valued at more than $20 million to bypass the local planning system and instead by approved directly by Planning Minister John Rau.

However, in the wake of the collapse of Life Care’s $250 million proposed aged-care developments at Joslin, Norwood and Glen Osmond after sustained community opposition, the scheme has been revoked.

Hans Ehmann outside the Quest hotel he built at Port Adelaide. Picture: Bianca De Marchi

A spokeswoman for Mr Rau said Mr Ehmann’s development, known as Dock 27, was the only undecided application remaining when the scheme was scrapped last week.

It leaves Dock 27 in limbo.

“The Minister for Planning has sought advice from the Crown Solicitor’s Office on the effect of revoking the Major Development Declaration and how best to deal with the application,” the spokeswoman said.

Mr Ehmann said no one from the State Government had contacted him about his application for 72 apartments, retail space and community open spaces to sit next to his $25 million Quest hotel development.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 3f761e0a03

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#615 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Clipper Ship City of Adelaide.

Access to the ship only from Wauwa St at Eastern end of Dock 1 for next few weeks as developers start work. No access from the lighthouse end even for pedestrians. Daily tours still underway so please come and see us. Also Ocean View College year 9 volunteers doing an amazing job cleaning bilge, painting and creating a photo mosaic of the ship. Thank you. #shipcityofadelaide