News & Developments: Port Adelaide

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
chang4
Sen-Rookie-Sational

Re: Port Adelaide | Developments & News

#496 Post by chang4 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:08 pm

how good is he wrote:I think the govt has kept back 12 hectares/30% of the development to still be decided upon. However this could still come to little.... I guess while I understand your points about high rise, I am unsure if there is enough buyer demand to support it. Many owners still are deep underwater from prices paid for apartments some 6 - 8 years ago.
I take your point about buyer demand but in my mind it is reflective of the immaturity of the apartment market in Adelaide which the city has finally been dragged into kicking and screaming years after it has taken hold in eastern state capitals and Perth (and decades after North East Asia). Cities which have been growing population wise and economically more so than Adelaide.

The New Port Quays era developments were overpriced ... simple as that. The apartments inside and out (and I know both the 5 story inc. car park Breeze etc. apartments near Ethelton Station and the 7 story inc. car park apartments above Portobello near the Hart Street Bridge) are ok but nothing special. Despite the waterfront and marina berths, these are apartments that should have been priced (upper) mid-range IMO. They are a nice place to live but IMO the quality of Korean apartments is much better especially at the higher end. And let's face it ... these apartments are right next to vast tracts of vacant land and currently not far from air pollution emitting industry. No-one even thought to ensure a direct walking link to Glanville Station from the Hart Street end apartments ... this is typical of the Australian short-term-cash-in development style. There are no shops within close walking distance. There has been no momentum in play for full development of the total area so no wonder prices have fallen off. These are general living apartments that should have been sold as such - not spruiked as luxury high end. Back into Ethelton behind New Port there are some nice older era houses but it is no Subiaco or Manuka.

It's a question of whether there is demand for luxury priced apartments which are arguably not actually such except in the developer's marketing, or if there is demand in place for regular priced apartments for 'regular' people seeking a location close to the sea and importantly adjacent to a currently 20 minutes morning express train line to the CBD. It's a conceptual thing I don't think Adelaide has experience of yet whereby well located high-ish rise apartments can act as housing options for people below the 'high end' watermark. (City international student accommodation mini-units don't count as proper longer term housing options.)

In South Korea mid-range/higher-end apartments are constructed by Chaebol (such as Posco, Hyundai, Samsung, etc.) and such companies ensure that the entire scope of a project is completed fully and in minimal time. They then brand the apartments so everyone knows that these apartments are for example I-Park (Hyundai) and their quality will be reflective of the Hyundai company as a whole. This gives confidence to those looking to invest in the areas surrounding the core development. The NPQ debacle never provided that, but they still tried to charge high end prices for their product, maybe looking to catch Chinese parking money offshore, who knows? Demand for their apartments is generated by SK property development companies by constructing quality high rise which accounts for an internal community, that are priced realistically for owner occupiers first and foremost, and are known to be part of projects undertaken by trusted companies who have well established reputations for delivering in full and completing projects in minimal time.

On what really is one of the most important waterfront development sites in Australia (and one of the most important sites in Adelaide) which has the potential to help elevate the city into being more than a provincial center, instead of an impressive development process and outcome we got a 20+ year mess. I've spent many of those 20+ years walking/driving over the Birkenhead/Hart St Bridges observing it all play out to not much. My parents eventually moved from their 1900's workers cottage a wind assisted Stewart Dew drop punt from this project to the eastern suburbs (partly because of the air quality in Birkenhead).

The new bridge that cut the trucks from the Port CBD, Black Diamond corner, Harts Mill being revitalized, even the Golden Port Tavern closing down ... all needed happen quicker than it did, just like the Brighton Cement Works needs to be addressed and the fertiliser plant needs to be relocated. But with a modest underwhelming development coming up there'll be little incentive to transform Birkenhead and Ethelton. These surrounding areas changing adds to the demand for the more centrally located apartments, but without any critical mass of population there's not many people to feed into the surrounding areas to support anything non-residential there. It's like the chicken and the egg.

I have a long connection to the Port, my sister still lives in the area (she used to live in Alberton for a long while). I also have a connection to that wider part of the city including the Taperoo. etc areas further out and the Hanson Rd areas closer in. But by pushing so hard for low rise (even lower than Harts Mill) the 'local residents' have possibly ensured that the Port area will be an exclusive enclave for a limited population. A sort of West Lakes suburb for those who already have a hold on the near-ish by beach front areas. My own preference is for an actual city environment rather than another suburb - and I guess the demand would probably be there from many in Adelaide who are looking for a less traditional conservative option if it was done right. That's my position anyway ...

Having said all that .... as far as apartments in Adelaide go New Port is great, and the top floor apartments are a cut above the others. The whole area is great to live in. My over-all point is that this new development plan that reduces the mid-rise right down limits who and what kinds of people can live there. I can understand it for the Port itself but for the surrounding areas it comes across to me as excessive conservatism with a touch of selfishness on the part of some locals (and semi-locals) who think they 'own' the whole area, not just their individual part of it.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#497 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:07 pm

From http://ourport.com.au/news/port-residen ... -open-day/
Sunday, September 11 at 9 AM - 2 PM The Flour Shed, Mundy Street, Port Adelaide.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1653870431593269/
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#498 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:22 pm

WHARF WAR: Port Adelaide residents have vowed to continue the fight to save the Fisherman's Wharf Market, after it was rejected for a spot on the state's heritage register. It's to be demolished, to make way for apartments.

https://www.facebook.com/tenadelaide/vi ... 473532297/

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#499 Post by SRW » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:31 pm

Tbh, it could be a great location for a state aquarium and/or martime museum.
Keep Adelaide Weird

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#500 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:26 am

Subscribers only
Time to shed gritty and make Port pretty.
“IF heritage alone was enough to bring hordes of people here, they would have come already,” says the man behind a proposed $200 million plan to revamp the cultural and commercial heart of Port Adelaide.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business/ ... c8bff46048
Attachments
l.php.jpg
l.php.jpg (47.22 KiB) Viewed 3008 times

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#501 Post by Norman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:55 am

Developer Hans Ehmann’s Port Adelaide facelift plans include $200m project at Queen’s Wharf
Richard Evans, The Advertiser
September 10, 2016 12:00am

“IF heritage alone was enough to bring hordes of people here, they would have come already,” says the man behind a proposed, and new, $200 million plan to revamp the cultural and commercial heart of Port Adelaide.

It’s fair comment from Hans Ehmann, a man who has been waiting much of his life he says for the right moment to reinvigorate a place that, at times, can be something of a forgotten outpost.

“In the 1900s Port Adelaide was thriving, it had the first street with electric lighting in South Australia and it grew and grew. Somewhere along the way it has missed out but it can get back its former glory,” Mr Ehmann said.

His proposals to achieve this are ambitious. A brand new and bubbling precinct on the south bank of the Port Adelaide river is the intent, with a mix of residential, commercial, entertainment and community elements aimed at convincing 750 people to put down roots on the largely unused Queen’s Wharf.

The development will lead to three residential buildings and a full service hotel over the next three years along the site where the Fisherman’s Wharf market currently sits.

Among the proposals are a residential building of 54 apartments, another of 70 apartments and eight townhouses and a further building made up of a 100 room, full service hotel plus 39 apartments.

The cultural is not neglected, with a heritage exhibition and conference area incorporating part of the Fisherman’s Wharf shed, to be incorporated into the new hotel near the landmark Port Adelaide lighthouse.

Full and proper use of commercial space will be imperative to the rebirth of Port Adelaide said Mr Ehmann with the introduction of a stable population to the area integral to extending Port hours and fast tracking economic and social growth.

“Port Adelaide is currently only economically active one or two days per week. This development will extend this to seven days per week,” Mr Ehmann said.

The new Quest hotel at the western end of Queens Wharf — which will open to the public in November — has been the catalyst he said.

“I have been sitting on this property for 30 years, waiting for the right tenant to come along with a vision. There was never a chance this would be developed into two storey townhouses,” Mr Ehmann said.

“Quest has started a wave of development in Port Adelaide and this initiative will maintain the momentum and contribute significantly to its rise as a highly desirable city to live in as well as cementing its reputation as a tourist destination.

“This development creates the opportunity for residents to enjoy a contemporary lifestyle in arguably the most significant setting in our state. It is a huge opportunity for Port Adelaide to regain its status as a city, rather than just another suburb,” he said.

The influx of the 750 residents to the Queen’s Wharf area will also help build a momentum to convert under-utilised building space in the surrounding streets into viable commercial and retail estate opportunities he said.

“If all goes according to plan, we could eventually see Port Adelaide’s laneways fill with cafes and bars as they have in Melbourne.”

The potential benefits are immense said Property Council of Australia SA executive director Daniel Gannon.

“This substantial development investment in Port Adelaide will mean more hard hats and steel caps for South Australians, along with economic development and stimulus for our state’s economy,” Mr Gannon said.

“Catering for a day and evening economy is a sensible approach in any jurisdiction but it is particularly important for Port Adelaide at a time of revitalisation and renewal,” he said.

“We now need our local government based planning system to keep up with private sector vision, which means a properly resourced planning system to enable new developments getting off the ground quickly. The last thing we need is a lethargic or adversarial system that doesn’t meet the vision, and a system that builds development barriers rather than enablers.”

Mr Ehmann’s Neville Smith Group (part of his Smith Motor Group) will lead the development with plans to be lodged with the Development Assessment Commission later this year with a view to work beginning early in 2017.

The heritage component has not been ignored.

The development will integrate with the splendour of Customs House, which dates back to 1879 and sits behind Queen’s Wharf, via a public plaza which will connect it with the wharf’s residential development and hotel.

“The plaza will bring Customs House into public focus,” Mr Ehmann said.

Indeed it will, with plans to turn the ground floor into a brauhaus (brewery or beer hall) with function rooms and access to the catacomb cellars. Mr Ehmann has also had talks with the council to usher in the creative crowd and create numerous art spaces on the floor above the beer swillers.

This space, as well as the area around the Port Adelaide lighthouse, will become a hub for all kinds of exhibitions, fairs and pop-up entertainment Mr Ehmann said.

The Fisherman’s Wharf market, in the longer term, will also be on the move with an application lodged to eventually have the shed demolished, albeit in stages. The market will be cut back in size slightly in two to three years’ time to make way for the first building in the new development.

“The market is one of Port’s longest standing attractions and represents a livelihood to many people. We have identified several potential sites for its eventual relocation,” Mr Ehmann said.

A new home, which will be several years away, would likely be nearer to or adjacent the high density development proposed by developer Starfish on both sides of the soon to be revitalised No 1 Dock, Mr Ehmann said.

“There is no intention to close the market and the market will not be compelled to relocate for at least seven years from now.”

The increase in traffic will be accounted for through a multi storey car park for 400 cars behind the Queen’s Wharf.

Mr Ehmann has been a staple of Port Adelaide property investment for four decades now and the time to stride forward has come he said.

He tells the story of a recent Thursday night in a Port Adelaide pub and a punter stopping to talk about his efforts to move the area upwards. An altercation, not acknowledgment, had been in his mind initially he said.

If they see someone is going out on a limb, Port Adelaide people will back you said Mr Ehmann.

“But it’s a risky business.”

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#502 Post by SRW » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:37 am

Any more pictures or plans available yet?
Keep Adelaide Weird

The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#503 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:15 pm

After 10 years of closure, the Port Admiral Hotel is finally being renovated.
http://www.portadmiral.com/port-admiral-hotel-blog
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#504 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:07 pm

From https://www.facebook.com/CityOfPAE/

HISTORIC JERVOIS BRIDGE CONTROL TOWER ON THE MOVE.

The original Jervois Bridge was opened in 1878 as the only link between the Port and the Le Fevre Peninsula. The swing mechanism on the original bridge was controlled by a person sitting in the wooden Control Tower on top of the steel gantry that crossed the road. That Control Tower is the last remnant of the original Jervois Bridge and for many years, has arched over the entrance to the public car park on Nile Street.

The new home will be on the wharf at Harts Mill, right next to its original home.
Attachments
14361198_244105482653900_4517950370501584263_o.jpg
14361198_244105482653900_4517950370501584263_o.jpg (207.72 KiB) Viewed 5054 times

PeFe

#505 Post by PeFe » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:40 pm

According to the Quest website, the new serviced apartments will be open from November.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#506 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:37 pm

A 12 million up-grade of the Port Canal Shopping Centre has been approved.

PeFe

#507 Post by PeFe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:30 pm

The new Quest hotel at Port Adelaide has opened.....hopefully this is the start of the renaissance.
An article from The Messenger discussing the subject.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... bc38dcc8e5

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#508 Post by I Follow PAFC » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Port Adelaide market sheds set to be bulldozed.
The state's peak planning authority has approved the demolition of the Fishermen's Wharf market sheds in the heart of Port Adelaide.
http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2016/1 ... bulldozed/

thejoebloggsblog
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#509 Post by thejoebloggsblog » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:32 pm

For those who don't want to see Shed 1 demolished, instead refurbished in a similar style to the 'Watershed' (pictured) sign the petition below.

PETITION ---> https://www.change.org/p/sa-heritage-co ... t-adelaide

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#510 Post by Goodsy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:34 pm

thejoebloggsblog wrote:For those who don't want to see Shed 1 demolished, instead refurbished in a similar style to the 'Watershed' (pictured) sign the petition below.

PETITION ---> https://www.change.org/p/sa-heritage-co ... t-adelaide

where do I sign to be the one who drives the wrecking ball?