[U/C] Burnside Village (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
russo92
Gold-Member ;)

[U/C] Re: #COM: Burnside Village Redevelopment - $107 million

#136 Post by russo92 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:08 pm

Not sure if its been mentioned but a friend of mine who has a job there says Zara should be opening on or around the 26th of November

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#137 Post by AtD » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah there's a few of those parking systems around. Does it have counters at the end of every row?

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#138 Post by Burger » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:39 pm

ghs wrote:I went there today and noticed one interesting thing.In the underground car parks, there's a light and sensor above every car park.When a person parks in a car park the light above the car turns red and when you vacateit turns green. It does make it easier to find a park as you just need to look for a green lightand you can see the lights from a fair distance.It's something new anyway I've never seen it before. I am not sure if it will take off though, seems a bit silly to me.

The company that developed the system (in the guise that you see at Burnside, as there are several on the market) was previously owned by Peter Cohen, who coincidentally is the Development Manager for the Cohen Group - the owners of BV. Rumour has it that the system installed (without the new extension) cost them near-enough to $1M. I saw some of the progress payments myself and it seems about right.

If you look carefully, the infrared still has issues with soft-top convertables, convertible swith the roof down, wet cars and shopping trolleys because the scatter the beam and it doesn't register. Apart from the red & green, they also had purple for disabled and pink for pram parks. They also had issues with the directional signage, which I hope is all sorted as it's a great idea, just needed some development.

Howie
VIP Member
VIP Member

#139 Post by Howie » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Tried going down there to take some photos today... over zealous staff there didn't want me taking photos even though there was media around us. Go figure. Only managed to get a few keepers.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#140 Post by Norman » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:44 pm

Top photos there Howie :cheers:

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#141 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:39 am

Visited on Saturday and i was impressed by the quality and design, however it is quite small. Not sure how successful it will be. Does anyone know if there are further stages planned? i think it could be hard due to the limited land they have.

Seems all stores have been leased and only a handful left to open which are :

Flower
Kikki K
SABA
Willow
Zara.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#142 Post by crawf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:58 am

I believe there is a 7-stage plan to redevelop Burnside Village. The next stage (4) though will be just a general revamp of the existing complex
http://www.burnsidevillage.com.au/devel ... velopment/

Maybe Stages 5-7 may include going up?

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#143 Post by Burger » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:06 pm

On the future stages, Cohen Group actually owns The Boulevarde (small, covered strip of shops between the main Centre and Greenhill Rd) as well as ANZ on the corner and the carpark and F&V shop behind. I have seen plans for 8 stages, including the Aus Post corner. To get that far, they would take the entire bock - Greenhill, Sydney, Cator & Portrush. Would make for a big Centre.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#144 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:09 pm

That's great. Would love to see more info on these further stages. Stage 4 is just a refit of the existing mall areas. I think for this shopping centre to be really impressive it needs more brands. A lot of the new stores are already in Adelaide only about 5 that aren't (including major drawcard Zara).

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#145 Post by Omicron » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:14 pm

Burger wrote:On the future stages, Cohen Group actually owns The Boulevarde (small, covered strip of shops between the main Centre and Greenhill Rd) as well as ANZ on the corner and the carpark and F&V shop behind. I have seen plans for 8 stages, including the Aus Post corner. To get that far, they would take the entire bock - Greenhill, Sydney, Cator & Portrush. Would make for a big Centre.
That makes more sense.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#146 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:20 pm

Burger are you able to provide any more detials about future stages? Number of shops etc?

Burger
Gold-Member ;)

#147 Post by Burger » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:42 pm

Ben, I'll have to trawl through some of my archives. The last bit of active work on it was 2.5 years ago but I've kept in touch through my contacts. I'll see what I can dredge up.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#148 Post by Ben » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Burger wrote:Ben, I'll have to trawl through some of my archives. The last bit of active work on it was 2.5 years ago but I've kept in touch through my contacts. I'll see what I can dredge up.
That would be totally amazing :D

Vee
Legendary Member!

#149 Post by Vee » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:57 pm

The later stages of the redevelopment of Burnside Village, whenever that may be, should bring a greater connection to Greenhill Road and across the road to the quirky Trak Cinema, Bracegirdles etc. This would cap off the Village nicely with an improved presence to both Portrush and Greenhill Roads..

Currently the section on Greenhill Road is dominated by banks and assorted shops, connected by an alleyway and a wider pedestrian lane to the Burnside Boulevarde shops and then further on to the Village. The former Department Store, Demasius, used to be located in this section (until the 80s?).

Given the massive disruption to trade (some shops closed and some relocated to other areas) and the inconvenience to shoppers during this redevelopment phase, I can't see the later stages being planned/developed anytime in the near future.

Interested to see if future plans include the Australia Post corner.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#150 Post by Will » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:06 pm

From the Messenger:
Zara's Burnside Village opening confirmed

Local News18 Nov 11 @ 10:00am by Emma Altschwager

SPANISH fashion retailer Zara will open at Burnside Village on Thursday (November 24).

The two-storey, 2300sq m shop’s design is based on the fashion chain’s Fifth Ave outlet in New York.

It will have an internal glass lift and mezzanine overlooking the centre’s new mall.

The Zara outlet is the first to open in SA and is part of Burnside Village’s $100 million redevelopment which opened earlier this month.

It will be open on Thursday (November 24) and Friday (November 25) from 9am-9pm